Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USAToday: Female surfer almost swallowed by whale (w/ Video)

#98QBKiller

This video reminds me of how small we are in the grand scheme of things.

Video: Female surfer almost swallowed by whale

This viral video has been featured on several national TV shows today.A female surfer and two people in a kayak floating off Santa Cruz, Calif. got the surprise of their lives when two feeding humpback whales lunged out of the water, with jaws wide open, dangerously close to them.

The accidental close encounter was shot by Barb Roettger who told ABC News she filmed it from only 20 feet away.

A pod of whales has settled uncomfortably close to the shore off Santa Cruz. That's thrilling boaters and kayakers flocking to view them up close -- but alarming the U.S. Coast Guard which is warning people to stay 100 yards away from the creatures or face a $2,500 for "whale harassment."

A marine expert said whales are good at avoiding people while "lunge-feeding" but getting too close poses safety risks.

Click link for full story:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/11/video-female-surfer-almost-swallowed-by-whale/1?csp=hf

---------- Post added November-4th-2011 at 01:45 PM ----------

And I know the title of this story got your attention :silly:

Holy smoke! I was just standing on the end of that exact pier watching the surfers, a few months ago.

That is awesome.

---------- Post added November-4th-2011 at 10:58 AM ----------

Yea, just sit there and stare, that's a good idea

The whales come straight up from deep when they feed. I doubt those kayakers had any idea they were there. Then after, what the heck are you going to do? You don't know which direction they are going to come up next.

The only thing I worry about when kayaking is snapping turtles. I just got a sea kayak for next season. Guess I'm gonna need to pay a little more attention. :ols:

That's awesome!

---------- Post added November-4th-2011 at 02:02 PM ----------

Yea, just sit there and stare, that's a good idea

Whales never strike the same place twice. At least I think that's how that saying goes, right? :ols:

Holy smoke! I was just standing on the end of that exact pier watching the surfers, a few months ago.

That is awesome.

---------- Post added November-4th-2011 at 10:58 AM ----------

The whales come straight up from deep when they feed. I doubt those kayakers had any idea they were there. Then after, what the heck are you going to do? You don't know which direction they are going to come up next.

hey i'm just saying...if a whale does that to me....i'd probably have to change my pants, BUT AFTERWARDS! i would make it a point to get away from there as fast as possible

The only thing I worry about when kayaking is snapping turtles. I just got a sea kayak for next season. Guess I'm gonna need to pay a little more attention. :ols:

That's awesome!

---------- Post added November-4th-2011 at 02:02 PM ----------

Whales never strike the same place twice. At least I think that's how that saying goes, right? :ols:

that's what i thought!

Archived