Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Take a Tour of RFK Stadium this Saturday (rare opportunity) 10/29/11

RFKFedEx

I just stumbled upon this in the Washington Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...21FM_blog.html

A rare opportunity for the public to tour RFK Stadium this Saturday, October 29th. You have to email them to reserve a spot. The tours are free, but space is likely limited. I don't think its just a marketing ploy to get your email address, but I could be wrong.

I've never known of any public tours to be hosted at RFK until now, so I'm all over this.

Not everybody has the same nostalgic feeling for that rusting old dump, but for those of us who grew up attending games on East Capitol St. this should be pretty cool. I've always wanted to see the locker rooms.

Hope to see some of you there. I'm on the 2:00 tour.

Hail!

What he said. One of my major regrets in life that I can never now fulfil is never seeing my team at it's spiritual home.

Victim of circumstance or not that's always saddened me. :(

Hail.

That does indeed blow my friend.

I've already taken my tour of RFK...I saw Pink Floyd and the Stones there...I saw the Redskins play there three times during the 1991 season...I think I'm set!

That does indeed blow my friend.

I've already taken my tour of RFK...I saw Pink Floyd and the Stones there...I saw the Redskins play there three times during the 1991 season...I think I'm set!

So let's recap: You've seen what I consider to be our most complete ever team, certainly my favourite all time team, lead by the man I consider one of the greatest to ever live, from my favourite all time season; 3 times at a rocking RFK.

Envy is the worst form of human nature. But man am I currently envious as all Hell sat here bro.:(

Even at just 3 games, you are exceptionally lucky dude.

Hail.

I'd love to check that place out. The only time I ever got there was in 1995 to see the Grateful Dead. I got lucky enough to get field tickets in the lot before the show. I went in early and when I walked down those stairs and stepped onto that grass I was in heaven. To be on that field and to look around at the names up there was something I'll never forget.

I was fortunate to see 60+ Skins games and about 50 Nats games from 1982-05. Three generations of my family sat in the same seats for 36 years of football. I bought my first ever beer at the concession stand at age 15, of course the event was the Dead show with Sting in June of '93. The best concert I ever saw anywhere was Floyd '94. On opening night in 2005 I cracked a bottle of Champaign outside the front gates next to Bobby Kennedy's bust. Bush's secret service agents along with the MPD didn't seem to mind the celebratory open container. I now have two RFK stadium seats in my man cave.

Needless to say, I have a slight emotional attachment to the place.

I was fortunate to see 60+ Skins games and about 50 Nats games from 1982-05. Three generations of my family sat in the same seats for 36 years of football. I bought my first ever beer at the concession stand at age 15, of course the event was the Dead show with Sting in June of '93. The best concert I ever saw anywhere was Floyd '94. On opening night in 2005 I cracked a bottle of Champaign outside the front gates next to Bobby Kennedy's bust. Bush's secret service agents along with the MPD didn't seem to mind the celebratory open container. I now have two RFK stadium seats in my man cave.

Needless to say, I have a slight emotional attachment to the place.

Um...wasn't that slightly illegal for concessions to sell you beer at the age of 15?

Um...wasn't that slightly illegal for concessions to sell you beer at the age of 15?

Funny thing about it, the girl who served me looked youger than I was. Nobody gave a :pooh:.

Concerts at RFK were a playground for HS kids abusing their hard earned trust with parents. I never knew of anybody getting busted for doing anything illegal at that place.

Look at how the Bara Brava behaves at United games today. The same conduct doesn't fly at other venues.

Great memories...

My first ever Skins game live....11/29/1987 vs. Giants. Schroeder led a furious 2nd half rally. Skins were down 19-3 in 3rd quarter. On a rainy day, the whole team was listless. But Jay brought us back with the help of Manley getting to Simms a couple of times. Comeback was complete with a pass to Sanders late in the game. Place was rocking. Remember, the Giants were coming off a Super Bowl season. They were very good then. For a kid like me just out of college and a lifelong Skins fan, it was a dream come true.

Also high up on that list was both playoff games in 91-92 season. I can still remember getting the call that a buddy had an extra ticket for me for the championship game. I was on full tilt. Walking in there that day was the most pumped I've ever been for a game.

Saw several other games there too. An exciting low-scoring game against the Bears won on Lohmiller's toe. Also, the game in '92 against the Falcons. Punt return for a TD by Desmond (on a lateral from B-Mitch), followed by a 99-yd KO return by Prime Time for a score. Good stuff. Most importantly, I never saw the Skins lose at RFK. Repeat, NEVER. Nowadays, I rarely see them win at FedEx. So sad.

All in all, I have fantastic memories of RFK. It's funny that my reaction to walking into RFK vs. walking into FedEx, both as an adult, are the complete opposites. Going to RFK was a pilgrimage. And that first sight of the field when you came thru the gates caused a rush of excitement each and every time I went.

Now, as a season ticket holder at FedEx, I absolutely hate the place and dread going. That's why I usually end up selling my tix.

My first ever Skins game live....11/29/1987 vs. Giants.

I was there. It was great, the parking lots along the river were a swamp. The Youtube clip of that game has been floating around ES in recent weeks. We seemingly hadn't beat the Parcells' Giants in forever till that day.

All in all, I have fantastic memories of RFK. It's funny that my reaction to walking into RFK vs. walking into FedEx, both as an adult, are the complete opposites. Going to RFK was a pilgrimage. And that first sight of the field when you came thru the gates caused a rush of excitement each and every time I went.

The kids still get that feeling at FedEx today. I've attended games w/ my 9 y o god son, he's in just as much awe of Raljon as we once were of RFK.

Now, as a season ticket holder at FedEx, I absolutely hate the place and dread going. That's why I usually end up selling my tix .

I hated Landover for the first ten years too. But I've since warmed up to the haves instead of dreading the have not features of FedEx. I've now made 15 seasons of memories in Landover as I had at RFK, and I've now attended more games at FedEx than RFK in my lifetime. The football is generally worse today, but tix are cheaper, and technology and tailgating are better. The vintageness of JKC stadium is happening right before our eyes.

Saw my first game there in 1971. Saw probably close to 100 games there after that. Did not get to see any playoff games since my parents kept those tickets. :( Did get to see a number of memorable games however.

1. Beat the Cardinals in a monsoon on Monday night. Cardinals fumbled 7 times and Eddie Brown had a long punt return where he almost fell down several times.

2. Mark Moseley breaks NFL record for consecutive FGs as the Skins beat the Giants.

3. Joe Theismann breaks leg. Jay Schroeder completes bomb to Art Monk as Joey is being wheeled along sidelnes towards the tunnel. Skins rally to beat the Giants on TD to Clint Didier.

4. Jason Buck

Also saw a few concerts there (Springsteen, the Who, U2). Was at Nats first home game as well.

Funny thing about it, the girl who served me looked youger than I was. Nobody gave a :pooh:.

Concerts at RFK were a playground for HS kids abusing their hard earned trust with parents. I never knew of anybody getting busted for doing anything illegal at that place.

Look at how the Bara Brava behaves at United games today. The same conduct doesn't fly at other venues.

That's interesting! I remember back when I was in high school, my family and I took a trip to D.C. and we drove past RFK. They were having a concert that day and we saw some guy right out in front of everybody taking a pee...LOL!!!

My parents took me to a preseason game at RFK against the Steelers in around 1974-75, but then we moved away from the area and I didn't get back until the Giants game until the end of the 1986 season, and probably saw around 10 Skins games there (including two in '91) until they moved to Landover. The funny thing is that for all of those games, I always took the Metro to RFK, and thought it was one of the coolest aspects of the day, getting off the train stuffed with Skins fans and making the relatively short trek to the stadium.

I've never taken the Metro to FedEx.......somehow that walk doesn't seem quite as appealing!

I'd also look forward to any pics people take today.

Saw my first game there in 1971. Saw probably close to 100 games there after that. Did not get to see any playoff games since my parents kept those tickets. :( Did get to see a number of memorable games however.

1. Beat the Cardinals in a monsoon on Monday night. Cardinals fumbled 7 times and Eddie Brown had a long punt return where he almost fell down several times.

One of my favorite games of all-time. Wish I could see that one again. Sadly, that's one recording that is almost impossible to locate.

• 2 weeks later...

I took the tour, but there really wasn't anything I deemed worthy of photographing. Most of the tour was in the public areas of the stadium I had already seen countless times before. The locker room we got to see was outfitted for the DCU who had already moved out for the year, and I don't care one iota about soccer, so again I didn't bother w/ pics. The dugout was kind of neat to go into, but you can pretty much see what that looks like from tv or any game you attend at RFK today. The concourse serving the locker rooms and dugouts was too dark for pics.

People who really want to see the venue should go to the Military Bowl game there in Dec. Tix are dirt cheap, like $10. You can pretty much sit wherever you want bc there are usually only 20k in the stadium for that game.

I really do wish that more of the neutral-site college games would be played at RFK instead of Fed-Ex; the atmosphere from that stadium generated feelings that have never surfaced at Fed-Ex. Could the Skins play at most one preseason game at RFK? That would be awesome!

Archived