Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Mike Shanahan may start Grossman over Beck

Atlanta Skins Fan

Why start Rex when you know he will be on a short leash and probably won't finish the game to begin with OR they try to control him by calling a bunch of safe plays that will keep him from making mistakes but also keep the offense from going anywhere. Might as well throw Beck out there. I think Beck is more of a leader anyway, Grossman isn't much of a vocal guy it seems and it's not like he is one of those leads by example players with his nonexistent work ethic

I think the theory that teammates don't like Beck is BS. However, if some of our WRs are annoyed with Beck, it could be that Beck chews them out in a huddle if they run the wrong route. Then the WR thinks to himself, "who in the heck does this guy think he is? He hasn't done nothing and he has the nerve to criticize me". It could be something like that. Also, we've probably had dopey and mellow QBs in the huddle for several years, like Campbell and Grossman. Beck is probably more fiery and critical in the huddle, so some might not be used to it.

I hope this is the case. A qb needs to be a coach on the field more than a friend. I'm sure Santana gets along better with Rex, but which qb is more professional? Which is more likely to chew a WR out? I think the answer is pretty apparent just from watching press conferences.

I wonder from which players Graziano got that impression. From Gaffney, a former teammate of Grossman? From Moss, who always supports his starting qb, even Campbell? I'd be willing to wager a steak dinner that nobody on the defensive side of the ball is calling for Grossman to start against the Panthers. And I didn't see any videos of defensive players being asked their opinion about it on Monday. They're pissed, along with the defensive coaches, that Grossman almost single-handedly rendered their 2nd half adjustments irrelevant.

Beck had his chance to win the game our DEF played lights out in the 2nd half may I remind you holding PHI to ZERO scoring.

He had his chance?! The whole TWO drives? That's kind of a flawed statement there. The D played lights out for the 2nd half, of which Beck got 2 chances. The first chance failed because of a dropped deep ball, emphasize DROPPED. The second chance he drove down the field to a touchdown. Then the D didn't allow points but were completely gassed from Rex single handedly tiring them out and could not stop the Eagles to give us one last try. I have a hard time saying "he had his chance" to that...unless your saying, "He had his chance, and he scored a TD 50% of the time, while Rex scored a TD 0% of the time.

He had his chance?! The whole TWO drives? That's kind of a flawed statement there. The D played lights out for the 2nd half, of which Beck got 2 chances. The first chance failed because of a dropped deep ball, emphasize DROPPED. The second chance he drove down the field to a touchdown. Then the D didn't allow points but were completely gassed from Rex single handedly tiring them out and could not stop the Eagles to give us one last try. I have a hard time saying "he had his chance" to that...unless your saying, "He had his chance, and he scored a TD 50% of the time, while Rex scored a TD 0% of the time.

Ok, ur right it was only 2 drives, and to be fair that is not a really great opportunity to show us what he's got, but this is the top level. Opportunities are few and far between We as fans have high expectations and I would be dumb struck if Shanahan didn't have even higher expectations. Don't know if you have seen this it was linked on Monday I think to ES...

Now, granted, our skill players around him did not come through in every situation and I can blame them for the stalled drive just as much as Beck, but what I think he could have done better with is his throw to Gaffney on 3rd and 17.

http://bloggingthebeast.com/2011/10/17/video-breakdown-john-beck-throw-by-throw-analysis/

(I know its picky, but hey, its IMO.) Now that he has been made the starter, even though I felt Rex should have started and been given at least another 1/2 for a last chance effort, Im excited to see what Beck's got and if he can come even close to 50% scoring TDs per drive I will be right back on ES both applauding the success and criticizing the failure.

Ok' date=' ur right it was only 2 drives, and to be fair that is not a really great opportunity to show us what he's got, but this is the top level. Opportunities are few and far between We as fans have high expectations and I would be dumb struck if Shanahan didn't have even higher expectations. Don't know if you have seen this it was linked on Monday I think to ES...

Now, granted, our skill players around him did not come through in every situation and I can blame them for the stalled drive just as much as Beck, but what I think he could have done better with is his throw to Gaffney on 3rd and 17.

[url']http://bloggingthebeast.com/2011/10/17/video-breakdown-john-beck-throw-by-throw-analysis/[/url]

(I know its picky, but hey, its IMO.) Now that he has been made the starter, even though I felt Rex should have started and been given at least another 1/2 for a last chance effort, Im excited to see what Beck's got and if he can come even close to 50% scoring TDs per drive I will be right back on ES both applauding the success and criticizing the failure.

There's no doubt his skill can be questioned, i just doubt that Rex throws any better of a pass to Gaffney, and question even more if his pass might be intercepted, given the history of the game. We can also question Gaffney for not grabbing a jump ball must-catch.

However, I seriously doubt this is over anyway. We have played 5 games. we've still got 11 more. Neither of our QB's is great, and questionably even considered good. It's most likely we'll have a new guy under center next year. So i wouldn't say Beck has secured this job, and it's likely our fans will be calling for his head soon enough.

Archived