Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Rexy have happy feet?

skinsfan1975

I know that Rex Grossman has had his problems during our 3-1 start but I am curious if maybe that Rexy has a little happy feet in the pocket? sometimes when he is in the pocket it looks like he has that "deer in the headlight" moment..could it be he is trying a split second to early/late to make a play

Its very obvious he gets more nervous as the game ends. IDK if its from him dancing in the pocket or what. That last fumble at the Cowboys game should have been thrown out of bounds penalty or not. You could easily see him scrambling and I think this is whats hurting us the most. He may not be a bad QB under regular circumstances but when he gets nervous he breaks down. Maybe he will calm down with more starting experience.

Naw, Rex doesn't have happy feet.

I'm not sure he "gets nervous" as 2v2nv said either. He turns the ball over too frequently. I think when things are going bad, Rex tries to force things. Which works out sometimes with pinpoint passes into tight windows, and other times mind-numbingly bad INTs. I don't know what to call it except "Good Rex, Bad Rex".

rex doesn't have happy feet more like cement in his shoes. But that not his problem...

The problem with Rex is he's nuts. I've always thought that write up the bear's fan did of him, "going deep" was just a joke. That article perfectly describes Rex, especially this past game against the Rams.

video

Thanks, that's exactly what came to mind when I saw this thread. I haven't seen anyone hop around as bad as that for a long time. Grossman might have happy feet, but a QB is supposed to reposition himself like that when he's checking down receivers, I believe. However, with Stafford, he was looking straight at CJ the entire time, so I don't know what the heck his hopping was all about.

Maybe, but so does Peyton Manning....

I think you're confusing "happy feet" with "active feet". Manning does bounce around but it is more keeping his feet active for repositioning and resetting when throwing. Happy feet, to me, is more a QB shuffling around because of being nervous and being rattled by pressure or feeling pressure that isn't actually there.

Naw, Rex doesn't have happy feet.

I'm not sure he "gets nervous" as 2v2nv said either. He turns the ball over too frequently. I think when things are going bad, Rex tries to force things. Which works out sometimes with pinpoint passes into tight windows, and other times mind-numbingly bad INTs. I don't know what to call it except "Good Rex, Bad Rex".

Rex doesn't have happy feet in the sense of how that term is normally used. He definitely does have certain nervous tendencies, though. He just does not look good as a QB until he's found his comfort zone in a game and settled into a rhythm. Until that happens he has a bad tendency to feel pressure that doesn't exist, move out of the pocket unnecessarily, throw off-balance, and be late on his timing. All of those are marks of a guy who isn't brimming with confidence and doesn't go into games with the kind of composure necessary to be a consistent QB.

I think you're confusing "happy feet" with "active feet". Manning does bounce around but it is more keeping his feet active for repositioning and resetting when throwing. Happy feet, to me, is more a QB shuffling around because of being nervous and being rattled by pressure or feeling pressure that isn't actually there.

Ok, I see what you're saying, but I don't think Rex is the kind of guy who gets nervous easily. He strikes me as the kind of guy who doesn't care what anyone else thinks, and actually enjoys pressure (went deep on 4th and 3 and hit Santana for a TD against ARZ).

I think what you're seeing is just his mechanics.

Rex doesn't have happy feet in the sense of how that term is normally used. He definitely does have certain nervous tendencies, though. He just does not look good as a QB until he's found his comfort zone in a game and settled into a rhythm. Until that happens he has a bad tendency to feel pressure that doesn't exist, move out of the pocket unnecessarily, throw off-balance, and be late on his timing. All of those are marks of a guy who isn't brimming with confidence and doesn't go into games with the kind of composure necessary to be a consistent QB.

This is what I was referring to. The guy just looks terrified to me. Sometimes he wings the ball like he's about to get ran over and no one is even around him. It causes him to miss wide open WR's sometimes. If he could get his nerves under control, his accuracy would shoot up by a lot.

Manning does have happy feet. He's had him since his Tennessee days. I had a buddy that played DL for UF and that's all the DC would talk about...Make his feet happy.

As far as Rex. Happy feet would be an improvement, he consistently throws off his back foot and rarely steps into any of his throws. He might be the least athletic QB in the league.

His main issue is when there is pressure, often times he steps up and gets out of it, or someone will come out of nowhere and block a guy. Then instead of regaining composure, he will act rushed even though the pressure is gone and usually throw the ball out of bounds. If you see most good QB's, pressure won't phase them. They will step up, or role out, and wait for a receiver to get open and make a play happen.

He is 100 times better than Campbell though. That guy would be flinching the second the ball was hiked and trying to get rid of the ball.

To late!Deer in the headlights for sure.Not happy feet,just two left feet.

---------- Post added October-4th-2011 at 10:15 PM ----------

Jurgenson's golden rule.If it ain't there,throw it away. Rex on the other hand try's to make things happen,which usually ends in disaster.I also think he thinks in his mind,that he can scramble. Only in his mind.

Thanks, that's exactly what came to mind when I saw this thread. I haven't seen anyone hop around as bad as that for a long time. Grossman might have happy feet, but a QB is supposed to reposition himself like that when he's checking down receivers, I believe. However, with Stafford, he was looking straight at CJ the entire time, so I don't know what the heck his hopping was all about.

he was nervous, like, did megatron really just ask for the ball in triple coverage?

p. manning has happy feet as well. its not really that big of a deal, it just helps with rythym imo.

Archived