Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN (aka: puketv) Cowboys' complaint merits memo

tr1

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/7038987/nfl-memo-offers-mic-options-stop-mimicking

By Chris Mortensen

In a league memo that some team executives, players and coaches believe is directly tied to Monday night's Cowboys-Redskins controversy surrounding errant snaps from Dallas rookie Phil Costa to quarterback Tony Romo sits to pee, the NFL informed its clubs that as of this weekend centers no longer are required to wear a microphone for the purpose of television broadcasts.

"Clubs will have the option of having the microphone placed in the pads of the starting center OR in the pads of both starting guards," the memo reads. "If the club chooses the option of wiring both starting guards, the microphone will be opened on the pads of only one of the guards at any time ..."

The memo does not specify the reasons for a change in protocol, but players, coaches and executives that have spoken with ESPN on the condition of anonymity say they believe it is the result of persistently expressed concerns about the practice of teams using technology to detect opponents' verbal audibles, snap cadences and in-line adjustments. On Monday night, Costa claimed the opposing Redskins were shouting out simulated snap counts similar to Romo sits to pee's normal cadence, which resulted in errant snaps from center.

The new collective bargaining agreement provided television networks with permission to place microphones on any offensive lineman for the purpose of enhanced audio broadcasts. Those that spoke with ESPN said that in many cases teams can isolate audio by simply recording game broadcasts and train their defensive linemen and linebackers to detect the various verbal calls that precede the center snap.

Network broadcast partners requested the right to place a microphone on an offensive linemen as a result of the league repositioning umpires, who normally were miked to provide "natural" or "ambient" sound for the viewing and listening audience.

The memo reinforced this idea by stating: "The objective of the microphones is to capture the ambient sound on the field that has been captured since the early 1990s by the microphone on the umpire up until the umpire was moved to the offensive backfield starting with the 2010 season."

Most of the players, coaches or executives contacted by ESPN expressed doubt that simply removing a microphone from the center will correct the practice of teams utilizing the sound for tactical purposes.

"How far is the guard away from the center?" replied one offensive player. "Not very."

Despite the memo and club concerns, the NFL's competition committee has not been asked to intervene at this time but could address the matter at a later date, a source said.

Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones had said during a Friday appearance on KRLD-FM that the league's memo reminded teams that mimicking cadence is grounds for a 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct. But he said that the Cowboys will have to adjust.

"We, in general though, are approaching it; we've just got to make it work," Jones said on the radio station. "We've got to get in here and have our count and have our snaps and not make it a point of concern for our quarterback and certainly not make it a point of concern for the game, because those are like turnovers and can be turnovers and do stop drives."

Costa, who also had a premature shotgun snap in the season opener, declined Thursday to respond to Redskins defensive lineman Stephen Bowen's statement that the center was "lying" about the mimicked cadences.

Dallas coach Jason Garrett said the Cowboys' simply need to get the issue rectified, regardless of what a defense does.

"There's been noise on the line of scrimmage in the NFL since Pudge Heffelfinger was around," Garrett said Thursday, referring to the first man to sign a pro football contract. "So, that's how it works. We just have to understand what the issues are there and we have to focus on whose voices we're listening to and just get locked in and snap the ball the way it needs to be snapped."

---------- Post added September-30th-2011 at 09:29 PM ----------

And when the squealing little baby has another premature snap this weekend, who will he blame next?

The guy has snapped early in 2 of his last 3 games.

Yet, Jerruh is able to force a memo out of the league, and the pukes have another excuse for deficient play.

Puke fans should be embarrassed.

I'm not embarrassed. The Cowboys sent a tape to the league and the league issued a memo. I think that pretty much proves what was going on. Costa needs to learn to deal with it because it's probably not the last time a team tries that against him.

Jerruh sent a tape and Jerruh asked for a memo...let's be realistic, okay?

Jerruh sent a tape and Jerruh asked for a memo...let's be realistic, okay?

Show me proof that Jerry asked for the memo. If you can't then you're the one not being realistic but what's new about that. If nothing was on the tape there would be no memo. Thats realistic!

Show me proof that Jerry asked for the memo. If you can't then you're the one not being realistic but what's new about that. If nothing was on the tape there would be no memo. Thats realistic!

Conjecture. Pure conjecture on my part. But, let's face it, if the pukes have a pimple on their collective ass, the league is going to go out of its way to salve it. Jerruh doesn't hesitate to push people around...it's his MO.

So, will Costa blame Detroit when he snaps it early again this weekend?

And, why don't other centers have this same problem? Is it a trend in the league? Maybe I missed that...but, all of a sudden it deserves a memo...:rolleyes:

I have a collection of items from the past where Jerruh has exerted pressure on the league...if you were a good puke fan, you'd know each and every one of them.

Conjecture. Pure conjecture on my part. But, let's face it, if the pukes have a pimple on their collective ass, the league is going to go out of its way to salve it. Jerruh doesn't hesitate to push people around...it's his MO.

So, will Costa blame Detroit when he snaps it early again this weekend?

And, why don't other centers have this same problem? Is it a trend in the league? Maybe I missed that...but, all of a sudden it deserves a memo...:rolleyes:

I have a collection of items from the past where Jerruh has exerted pressure on the league...if you were a good puke fan, you'd know each and every one of them.

Nice of you to admit you simply made up what you represented as a fact. Costa is a young player starting for the first and he obviously has issues that he has to work out if he is that easily confused. That being said, it is still against the rules to do what the skins were doing and the league has now addressed it. Thats tells me there was something on the tape that led credence to Costa's allegation.

Oh, let's see here. As TK pointed out, one of the plays was in SHOTGUN, in which they use a hand signal to snap the ball.

Looks like poor baby Costa needs an excuse the next time we meet. **** HIM.

Not really sure what you're talking about. All the early snaps as well as the illegal snap penalty were when they were in the shotgun and they were not using hand signals.

Not really sure what you're talking about. All the early snaps as well as the illegal snap penalty were when they were in the shotgun and they were not using hand signals.

Ok. Whatever.

Nevertheless, the memo was a REMINDER about the consequences of the penalty.

It also had THIS:

"If it is determined by video review or other means available to the league office that defensive players are engaging in such practices, such players, and their position coaches, coordinators, and head coaches, will be subject to disciplinary action."

So, I think it would be VERY easy to catch the Redskins players doing something like this. So, if that's the case, the punishment WILL...BE..IMMINENT.

Threads like this are why we can't have a conversation on an internet messageboard. Do you guys REALLY think Bowen wasn't simulating the snap count? I mean, come on, just admit the obvious. I don't think it's a big deal and I'd want my team doing anything it could do to get an advantage, especially on the field of play. It's like how holding goes on during every single play but its not holding unless a flag is thrown.

Skins fans look very petty trying to argue the other side right now. It is what it is.

---------- Post added October-1st-2011 at 07:23 AM ----------

It also had THIS:

"If it is determined by video review or other means available to the league office that defensive players are engaging in such practices, such players, and their position coaches, coordinators, and head coaches, will be subject to disciplinary action."

So, I think it would be VERY easy to catch the Redskins players doing something like this. So, if that's the case, the punishment WILL...BE..IMMINENT.

Yes, sort of like this example where it was very easy to catch the Redskin player doing this and the punishment (league memo) was imminent. Sheesh.

Unless you want to bury your head in the sand and subscribe to the tr1 theory that Jerry bullied the NFL into issueing a memo when there was no evidence that anything occured. Do you really want to become that blind homer?

Threads like this are why we can't have a conversation on an internet messageboard. Do you guys REALLY think Bowen wasn't simulating the snap count? I mean, come on, just admit the obvious. I don't think it's a big deal and I'd want my team doing anything it could do to get an advantage, especially on the field of play. It's like how holding goes on during every single play but its not holding unless a flag is thrown.

Skins fans look very petty trying to argue the other side right now. It is what it is.

Yes, sort of like this example where it was very easy to catch the Redskin player doing this and the punishment (league memo) was imminent. Sheesh.

Unless you want to bury your head in the sand and subscribe to the tr1 theory that Jerry bullied the NFL into issueing a memo when there was no evidence that anything occured. Do you really want to become that blind homer?

Thank you.

Unfortunately, the tin-foil-wearing haters are not going to absorb your message. Sound reasoning is beyond them...

So, Bowen was the culprit? Do you have evidence? The league apparently didn't, otherwise he would be disciplined.

In other words, there was an accusation, there wasn't any proof, but to make Jerruh happy, the pukes got the league to send out a letter.

Unfortunately, WB, you (and Costa and the puke organization) are the ones making things up.

I'm dealing with facts.

---------- Post added October-1st-2011 at 06:48 AM ----------

You puke fans and psuedo-Eagle fans should read before you knee-jerk:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/stephen-bowen-phil-costa-is-lying-about-fake-snap-counts/2011/09/28/gIQALmhB5K_blog.html

Stephen Bowen: Phil Costa is ‘lying’ about fake snap counts

By Mike Jones

Washington Redskins defensive end Stephen Bowen took offense to accusations made by the Dallas Cowboys that he and his fellow linemen simulated Tony Romo sits to pee’s snap counts in an attempt to throw off Cowboys center Phil Costa during Monday night’s game.

Costa struggled with several of his snaps during the game and multiple times hiked the ball before Romo sits to pee was ready. Romo sits to pee was visibly upset during the game, giving the center repeated tongue-lashings.

Following the game, Costa blamed the Redskins, and Bowen was mentioned as a possible suspect because of his familiarity with Dallas, for whom he played the first five seasons of his career.

When asked about Costa’s claims, Bowen said, “Honestly, I don’t understand how I could simulate his snap count. Am I supposed to memorize the colors and the numbers he was saying? Honestly, I lost a lot of respect for Costa. If that was the case, then why didn’t any of their offensive linemen jump offsides? It makes no sense, because he’s lying. Just be a man and stand by your word. Everybody respects a man that tells the truth.”

The Cowboys complained during the game about what they believed were simulated snap counts coming from the Redskins’ defense, and the officials approached Bowen about them.

“Even during the game, the ref came to us and asked if we were making fake snap counts, and I looked at Barry [Cofield] like, ‘Huh? Did you make a noise? I didn’t make a noise. I didn’t even hear anything,’” Bowen said. “So for him to say that, I’m disappointed, and I lost respect in him. He’s making excuses for messing up. And they’re trying to make me out to be some guy that I’m not. I’m not that type of person. I just line up and play ball.”

Bowen said he didn’t understand what benefit Washington would have gained by a defensive lineman barking out fake snap counts.

“I don’t know how you can do it,” Bowen said. “You’re so zoned out, you’re so concentrated on your play and to give a fake snap count, you may confuse your guys and make them jump. There’s no point in that.”

Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan was asked about Costa’s claims and he said they were false.

“The one thing about accusing somebody for doing something like that, especially nowadays, especially this year, is the center is mic’d,” Shanahan said. “And when the center is mic’d, you go back in audio and see if one of our players did say a snap count, and they did not.”

Pathetic.

Once again, the aggregate puke mind set is that one of their players didn't have a horrible game because he sucked, but that some outside force was responsible.

There is no proof. Instead, Jerruh has pressured the league into putting out a memo to save face over their over-the-top accusations against the Skins...implying something bad was done when there is ZERO evidence to support Costa's wild claim.

So what's the Puke excuse for botching the snap Week 1 at the Jets game?

OTOH, if Dallass wants to keep claiming their center is so stupid he can't tell the difference between a QB way behind him, and a defender in front of him... :ols:

So, Bowen was the culprit? Do you have evidence? The league apparently didn't, otherwise he would be disciplined.

In other words, there was an accusation, there wasn't any proof, but to make Jerruh happy, the pukes got the league to send out a letter.

Unfortunately, WB, you (and Costa and the puke organization) are the ones making things up.

I'm dealing with facts.

Pretty much. I've never seen a more whiny organization after a win. Bowen makes a good point about the Cowgirls' o-line not jumping offsides...

All I hear are excuses, excuses, excuses for a poor performance. Even when these ****s win, they find something to belly ache about. The centers are mic'd for sound and the League would've heard Bowen or any other Redskin simulating the snap count if it actually happened

I pray Detroit and that badass defensive line tears Costa and every other SOB that wears that hideous uniform a new one. Where will your excuses be when Suh turns Romo sits to pee into dust and guts?

Assuming something was on these recordings, just an audio record would not be able to tell who was making the noise, just that it was happening.

furthermore, what non injury threatening rules violations have ever warranted mid week discipline?

this is similar to the Giants faking injury. I suspect the league did hear something, and that is why the memo came out.

big deal. this has been going on forever. Dallas has a new center, and will need to learn to adapt, but I am in no way skeptical that an attempt to rattle this young center was employed.

I'm not embarrassed. The Cowboys sent a tape to the league and the league issued a memo. I think that pretty much proves what was going on. Costa needs to learn to deal with it because it's probably not the last time a team tries that against him.

Your Head Coach just pwned your center and you are not embarrassed?

"There's been noise on the line of scrimmage in the NFL since Pudge Heffelfinger was around," Garrett said Thursday

So what's the Puke excuse for botching the snap Week 1 at the Jets game?

OTOH, if Dallass wants to keep claiming their center is so stupid he can't tell the difference between a QB way behind him, and a defender in front of him... :ols:

Yeah, what' their excuse for Gurode's botched snaps as well?

---------- Post added October-1st-2011 at 01:44 PM ----------

A reminder is not a punishment worth regarding. Fines, lost picks, etc. Now that's what I'm expecting to see.

I think the Redskins must have also been calling receiver routes, thats why Ogletree got confused.
Of course! lol. And the Redskins must have given Romo sits to pee the wrong signal to throw the ball to Revis in the jets game also. It all makes sense now! Once you figure the Redskins can fake hand signals and audibles from a QB way back in shotgun formation. It's amazing the Redskins didn't think to use such abilities to say... draw the Puke O-Line offside, force INTs, draw the defense offside...wait that might explain why the pukes were offside so much! Brilliant! If only we could fake referee signals! lol.

This explains everything!

I have never seen so many crybabies after a win! why was the center the only one false starting? and why was he snaping the ball all over the place? you got a rookie center and he hasnt practiced with Romo sits to pee since his apperant injury. get over it already, refs protected Romo sits to pee all night and not calling any holds. maybe we should just stop the pass rush completly and give Romo sits to pee and O-line free time to roam?!?!!??! maybe give some lessons to the WR's and TE's and have out DB's point out where the ball is?!?!!?!? unreal....

Archived