Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Were the Redskins too afraid of the Cowboys pass rush?

themurf

6189635668_99265fa04d.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

With apologies to cornerback DeAngelo Hall, who took issue with Washington Redskins defensive coordinator Jim Haslett’s aggressive mindset in the decisive moments of the team’s 18-16 loss to the Dallas Cowboys, I can’t kill the defense on a night they held an opponent out of the end zone.

Nine times out of 10, when that happens, you’re going to walk away with a victory.

Unfortunately for the Redskins defense though, their offense was just as ineffective as the one they shut out.

The Redskins offense put together one drive of substance — a nine-play, 76-yard drive that was capped off by quarterback Rex Grossman’s one-yard touchdown pass to running back Tim Hightower — and that was about it for the highlight reel.

An offensive unit that had little trouble putting together consistent drives in their first two games of the season struggled for most of Monday night’s contest, and I can’t help but wonder if offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan’s game plan is the primary reason.

The 2011 Redskins are still in the process of developing their true identity, but what’s worked for this offense thus far is establishing the ground game early, and then once the defense is on its heels, turning the football over to Grossman so he can air it out.

None of this is exactly earth shattering — after all, head coach Mike Shanahan has had one of the best rushing attacks in the NFL for seemingly his entire illustrious career. The guy has a well-earned reputation for turning seemingly any running back into a thousand yard rusher, so focusing on the ground game early and often should be a no-brainer.

And yet, the Redskins gave up on running the ball. Even with the lead for the bulk of the fourth quarter, Kyle Shanahan and friends were content to call passing plays.

“We’re not playing to conserve the clock,” he said. “You’re trying to win, and the best thing we’ve got to move the ball is throwing it at the time.”

The Redskins ran the ball just twice in their final 16 plays of the game. Once it became clear that Washington was content to become one dimensional, the Dallas defense simply turned up the pressure on Grossman.

In related news, the Redskins’ last four drives ended with three punts and a fumble.

Nothing against Grossman, who has done a fine job of leading this offense for the most part this season, but he’s not exactly the type of player who should be asked to carry an entire offense on his shoulders — especially when his options in the passing game were severely limited.

Receiver Anthony Armstrong left the game in the second quarter with a strained hamstring. Tight end Chris Cooley was forced into the fullback role because of an injury to Darrel Young, so he spent as much time blocking as running routes. Santana Moss appeared to be double covered every time he left the huddle.

And worst of all, tight end Fred Davis was also a non-factor in the passing game, which was stunning considering he came into the game with the second most catches and receiving yards of any tight end in football.

The player who was the go-to guy for this offense in their two wins, was suddenly nowhere to be found when they needed him most. So what happened?

After the loss, Davis explained to me that the plan of attack against Dallas called for him to stay home as an extra blocker for the most part.

“We had a different game plan this week,” he said. “I just tried to do as much as I could do to help out. When you’ve got two good pass rushers like Dallas, you’ve got to do a little more blocking. That’s what I did tonight, and I think I did a good job, blocking wise. Sometimes you’ve just gotta do what you can do.”

Click here for the full article.

Pretty much.

After a promising pre-season and opening two games in the main, the OC reverted back to a lot of the woes of last year Monday night. The under utilizing yet again of one of the major weapons at his disposal in FreddieD is made even worse this year after he's shown the first two weeks the threat that those of us behind him have been saying he would since he was drafted.

There's been improvement in his play calling this year, out side of Monday, but there's still far more questions than answers going forward for me with the younger Shanahan.

Hail.

There's been improvement in his play calling this year, out side of Monday, but there's still far more questions than answers going forward for me with the younger Shanahan.

Hail.

So our young offensive coordinator has improved in year 2 with this group of players yet you have more questions than answers? If you're conceding that he's improving, what are your questions vs. the answers we've gotten?

If im not mistake Jason Witten didnt have a huge impact & he was the best pass catcher on the field Monday night. Ware didnt collect a sack did he ? Kudos to Trent Williams & the overall protection plan. Now the coaching staff isn't putting the Redskins in the best position to win games ? I dont get it. The Patriots blew a 21-0 lead to the Bills. A lot worse things happened around the league this weekend than Mike/Kyle Shanahan's decision to abandon the run late when they could get absolutely nothing going with the run. When you win the players get the credit. When you lose the coaches get the blame. Its the Redskins way. Unless, of course, its Joe Gibbs.

I think Grossman was the one afraid of the pass rush. Putting TW 1 on 1 against Ware doesnt show much fear. Maybe the playcalling late in the game indicated that we were afraid of it, but the main problem was a. not running the ball and b. what actually happened when the pass rush was successful.

So our young offensive coordinator has improved in year 2 with this group of players yet you have more questions than answers? If you're conceding that he's improving, what are your questions vs. the answers we've gotten?

Big question marks still remain over both his third down playcalling (4/14- 28.5%); redzone efficiency (6/14- 42.9%); and at times under utilizing of his personnel for me. It's been pleasing to see more of a balance between the pass and run game (114- 83 respectively); but even within that he still fails to mix it up at times with screens and draws when the deep balls not working, or simple play action when the opposition D focuses in on one or the other,

Hail.

As usual great write up murf.

The game planning/playcalling in the second half was just strange. I don't know how else to describe it.

I can't blame Haslett/D-Hall for the loss because they did there job and did it well most of the night (not a single touchdown), but when you completely abandon the run and put the entire responsibility on Grossman, you're asking for trouble (and I consider myself part of the Rex bandwagon). Why they didn't do what they did in the Giants game is beyond me

I don't know if it's possible to be "too" concerned about the Cowboys pass rush.

DeMarcus Ware is a certified card carrying member of the Big Bad Mother** club., and I don't think there's anyone who would dispute that, except Trent Williams, and he earned it.

However, they did give him a lot of help, whether it was Cooley from the FB position or a TE on a wham black or a RB with a hard chip, they made sure they got helmets and pads on Ware.

And it worked quite well, the Cowboys had to line ware up on the total other side to finally get him some pressure, and he got the best of Jamal Brown. IMO, that isn't good, but understandable. He gets the best of everyone.

Jay Ratliff is an excellent inside pass rusher, and he benefits greatly from ware commanding so much attention. And he commands extra attention as well which usually leaves a free blitzer or another one of their outstanding linemen in a one on one situation.

the Redskins went max protect a lot the other night for good reason. As we saw in the end.. their DL forced the game.

On the other hand, Rex did have plenty of time most of the game. Many times he stood in the pocket for a good while surveying the field.

And no matter how else the game breaks down, the offense put the ball in scoring position enough to win the game.

We absolutely need to close drives with touchdowns because we absolutely cannot rely on danny Smith's sloppy special teams.

And if we MUSt kick a FG, well @#$&**!! we better not $@&!! it up!!!!

Anyway,, good piece, Murf, as always.

~Bang

Murf,

I have been a member of this site for a few years, I always read everything you post and it is always enjoyable. I do not post often but I just wanted to let you know I always enjoy the stuff your write.

I really appreciate the support and your feedback. I don't pretend to have all of the answers, I just enjoy putting something like this together in hopes of sparking an intelligent football conversation. This particular topic came about as Art and I left the stadium late Monday night and tried to figure out what went wrong. I figured it would be fun to open up the debate to you guys.

If im not mistake Jason Witten didnt have a huge impact & he was the best pass catcher on the field Monday night. Ware didnt collect a sack did he ? Kudos to Trent Williams & the overall protection plan. Now the coaching staff isn't putting the Redskins in the best position to win games ? I dont get it. The Patriots blew a 21-0 lead to the Bills. A lot worse things happened around the league this weekend than Mike/Kyle Shanahan's decision to abandon the run late when they could get absolutely nothing going with the run. When you win the players get the credit. When you lose the coaches get the blame. Its the Redskins way. Unless, of course, its Joe Gibbs.

DeMarcus Ware did have a sack. It came against Jammal Brown, I believe, but he did have one of the Cowboys' three sacks on the night. As far as Witten goes, he was targeted nine times - the most of any receiver on either team. The Cowboys went to him on most third downs as well, but the Redskins did a better-than-expected job of limiting his impact. So yeah. Not sure I agree with a single word you wrote. But other than that ...

Unless, of course, its Joe Gibbs.

I don't wish to derail a very good discussion thread, but I have to ask just what is your problem with Coach man?

This isn't the first thread of late you've thrown that or similar out there. Joe Gibbs was far from perfect. And the man wouldn't pertain to be. Nor has he escaped criticism on here. Hell, through much of his second go-around, he was slated from pillar to post by many on here. Some of it called for. A whole bunch totally uncalled for. But he was regardless.

Your inference that he's this holier than thou, untouchable God like figure that never received any blame is petty and ridiculous in the extreme.

Just what is it with you and Gibbs?

Hail.

Afraid? I doubt it. I think they were looking forward to it!

Trent did a helluvajob against Ware, and seeing him stand Ware up on his toes on more than one play sent Ware to the other side, where it as much easier, not knocking Brown either on it.

They do have a good front line, no question about it, but our o-line did a great job IMO, it did seem that it was more on the field and the inability to make the cuts and curls without falling down that was the biggest issue. You can't gameplan for something you never expect, and the field was a giant vaseline sheet.

The entire team learned from this, and will hopefully be prepared next road game they play at...

I really appreciate the support and your feedback. I don't pretend to have all of the answers, I just enjoy putting something like this together in hopes of sparking an intelligent football conversation. This particular topic came about as Art and I left the stadium late Monday night and tried to figure out what went wrong. I figured it would be fun to open up the debate to you guys.

DeMarcus Ware did have a sack. It came against Jammal Brown, I believe, but he did have one of the Cowboys' three sacks on the night. As far as Witten goes, he was targeted nine times - the most of any receiver on either team. The Cowboys went to him on most third downs as well, but the Redskins did a better-than-expected job of limiting his impact. So yeah. Not sure I agree with a single word you wrote. But other than that ...

Well, gosh, I wasn't expecting you to agree with me. After all, your "the murf", the scout, the expert playcaller. So, yeah......

---------- Post added September-28th-2011 at 12:51 PM ----------

I don't wish to derail a very good discussion thread, but I have to ask just what is your problem with Coach man?

This isn't the first thread of late you've thrown that or similar out there. Joe Gibbs was far from perfect. And the man wouldn't pertain to be. Nor has he escaped criticism on here. Hell, through much of his second go-around, he was slated from pillar to post by many on here. Some of it called for. A whole bunch totally uncalled for. But he was regardless.

Your inference that he's this holier than thou, untouchable God like figure that never received any blame is petty and ridiculous in the extreme.

Just what is it with you and Gibbs?

Hail.

He's the only coach of the last 30 years absolved of any criticism whatsoever. You think a Skins fan, my younger brothers age(26), gives a flip about Super Bowls he was too young to enjoy ? The guy comes back, doesn't address the draft, poorly manages games, seems out of touch with the game, etc. He's Joe Gibbs though ! 5-11 in year one back after more than a decade away from the game & " oh he'll get it turned around ! He's the ole ball coach !" Mike Shanahan, another multiple SB winning HOF coach comes to town & fans want him run out of town midway through his first year. I absolutely cannot stand the fans quickness to want to run coaches out of town, criticize every single play call, just absolutely disrespect anybody not named Joe Gibbs. Fans dont even realize what they do/did. Move on, that was a whole different era, 20+ years ago. Ugh

You obviously didn't witness these here boards through Gibbs second go-around if you think he's 'absolved of any criticism whatsoever.' But as your both patently talking out of your rear end, and this is taking a good discussion thread in a whole other direction; we'll leave this.

I would advise you, looking at your wise ass conduct toward others again in this thread, to check yourself and post more respectfully going forward; or you'll quickly get a reputation from fellow posters and moderators alike you'll doubtless regret down the line.

Hail.

shanny jr should have run the ball more? hey, now. no common sense allowed around here. seriously, anyone not concerned about his play calling ought to be.

and, the run was working. it was a large part of our only TD drive. it was also why hightower was wide open for the TD pass. i cant even believe this is a question.

hightower had half of his yardage for the game on this drive-

(9:31) 25-T.Hightower left guard to WAS 26 for 2 yards (94-D.Ware, 50-S.Lee).

2-8-WAS 26

(8:56) 8-R.Grossman pass short middle to 89-S.Moss ran ob at DAL 38 for 36 yards. Pass complete on a "skinny post."

1-10-DAL 38

(8:19) 8-R.Grossman pass short left to 47-C.Cooley to DAL 26 for 12 yards (21-M.Jenkins). Pass complete in the flat.

1-10-DAL 26

(7:43) 25-T.Hightower left end to DAL 25 for 1 yard (50-S.Lee, 90-J.Ratliff).

2-9-DAL 25

(7:00) 25-T.Hightower right end to DAL 19 for 6 yards (26-A.Elam).

3-3-DAL 19

(6:15) (Shotgun) 8-R.Grossman pass short middle to 25-T.Hightower to DAL 12 for 7 yards (50-S.Lee). Pass complete on a crossing pattern out of the backfield.

1-10-DAL 12

(5:34) 25-T.Hightower right tackle to DAL 6 for 6 yards (43-G.Sensabaugh).

2-4-DAL 6

(4:52) 25-T.Hightower left end to DAL 1 for 5 yards (93-A.Spencer).

1-1-DAL 1

(4:05) 8-R.Grossman pass short left to 25-T.Hightower for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN. Pass complete off play action.

I just think we got away from what bought us our first two wins. Maybe we were a little afraid of the Cowboys pass rush, but there's things that were working for us that we didn't see a whole lot of in this game. Sometimes it seems like we'll put something on film, and then we just don't run it again, despite it being successful. Even when were weren't getting a whole lot from the running game, we pounded the ball versus the Giants, worked in play action, and kept their pass rush at bay because even though Rex misfired on some deep shots down field (and Armstrong dropped one), they had to respect our ability to go deep off play action.

It's been obvious over the past couple weeks what works for us, and what doesn't.

And what's even weirder about being worried about Grossman and the protection, was that at one point on the game, Rex Grossman, he of "if you rush him he'll get panicky and force throws" fame, was 9 of 10 on completed passes against the blitz.

Situational football. We've got to learn it. If your major weapons are hampered, either by injuries or double coverage, you've got to run the ball, take time of the clock, and work play action passes to try and get them open. We don't have to run on every down, but once the Cowboys knew we had no intention of running it, they turned the dogs loose on us, and THAT'S when they attacked. What kept them at bay was the fact that we had a somewhat balanced attacked. Once that balance was gone, Rob Ryan let the dogs loose and we paid for it.

Archived