Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rams are giving up 5.4 yards per carry--31st in league

DieHard86

I think the lack of the running game really was the reason we could not get going in Dallas on Monday ..... I was not sure the Cowboys run D was for real but I take it back . Without a run game Shanahans offense doesn't go . (either of them) . They need a legitimate running game to keep the pass going ... something that was not happening in Dallas...i think this week we can get back on track and I think this week we will see a lot more of a balanced game ..

I don't think it's that simple.

Both Hightower and Helu are both stretch-run, one-cut RBs. Torrain offers a between the tackles, downhill runner that is more physical and can keep the opposing defense on it's heels.

I just think Torrain offers some variety - that's all.

I agree with you. I also think Hightower does not have the same burst he did in the preseason. To me, he seemed to be playing faster then. I don't see the burst now. I do think it's time to incorporate Ryan into the mix.

I don't think it's that simple.

Both Hightower and Helu are both stretch-run, one-cut RBs. Torrain offers a between the tackles, downhill runner that is more physical and can keep the opposing defense on it's heels.

I just think Torrain offers some variety - that's all.

One cut runners are downhill, between the tackles runners. If you were to ask me to rank our RB corps in terms of how I perceive their ability to get downhill and at least get something out of a play I'd give you something like this:

1. Royster

2. Helu

3a. Hightower

3b. Torain

Both Torain and Hightower struggle when it comes to locating small seams and getting 2-4 yards on plays where the blocking is not superb. Between them, Hightower is more likely to get caught up in the middle of the blocking and get taken down for no gain while Torain is more likely to take the ball around the edge which may result in a big play but will more likely result in no gain or even a loss.

I agree with you EA that Torain is more patient than HT. He lets things develop more before making his cut. Even so, a lot of HT's runs are negative or minimal. HT makes up his mind quick, which if he had better vision would be great. However he misses a lot of opportunities because he tries to bully his way thru lanes that arent really there. I like HT's explosion, but his vision leaves a lot to be desired at this point. I wonder if Torain's hand is still an issue and they'd rather give him more time to heal. Torain also has a his share of negative and minimal runs, however he's more apt to find a good cutback lane. He also powers thru first contact a lot. Neither HT nor Torain have a second gear though. Helu does have that second gear and he's more adept than HT at avoiding tacklers. If he can refine his protection game, he's gonna supplant everybody as starter. I think his workload will increase this week. On turf he should catch fire. Running the ball is the key to a solid win against the Rams.

The Rams are also 19th against the pass. They have averaged 252 yards against the pass.

While I want to see us run the ball, I am hopeful that we come out with a balanced attack.

With a balanced attack we can go out and score some points against a team that is 2nd to last (31st) in points against (96).

Is that a joke ? I hope so because factual history doesn't back your claim.

Definitely not a joke, maybe an exaggeration, though. S Jack isn't the same running back he used to be. Only averaged 3.8 yards per carry last year (though he did break off a 42 yard td run on us, 26 being his other longest of the year), and he isn't really the homerun threat (other than when he played us last year). I think our D is susceptible to the big play but will hold most of the time. That's why I think it's arguable that Felix and Beanie are more dangerous than S Jack. Of course, he will probably break his longest run of the year on us again now that I have said that.

Must hammer them and wear them out with the running game. It's been extremely frustrating not finishing our oppurtunities in the red zone.

Seeing us starting and successfully getting into the oppnents end and coming away with max 3 points has to stop. Almost destroyed my tv Monday night!

Archived