Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: League memo discourages clubs from feigning injuries

#98QBKiller

They also included the clip of the Giants players faking in the story:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d822702b5/article/league-memo-discourages-clubs-from-feigning-injuries?module=HP11_headline_stack

League memo discourages clubs from feigning injuries

By Steve Wyche

The NFL has warned teams that any suspected faking of injuries by players to disrupt the flow of the game could result in players, coaches and clubs facing league discipline -- including the forfeiture of draft picks.

In a memo sent to all 32 teams Wednesday morning, the NFL stated: "Should the league office determine that there is reasonable cause, all those suspected in being involved in faking injuries will be summoned promptly to this office in New York to discuss the matter. Those found to be violators will be subject to appropriate disciplinary action for conduct detrimental to the game. Discipline could include fines of coaches, players and clubs, suspensions or forfeiture of draft choices." The harsh warning comes two days after two New York Giants defenders dropped to the ground with alleged injuries during a drive by the St. Louis Rams, who were effectively driving the ball down the field in a no-huddle offense. Giants coach Tom Coughlin said that he thought safety Deon Grant, one of the players who fell to the ground, was cramping because of the tempo of the drive.

The NFL stated that it doesn't have any rules against players feigning injuries because putting those in place could result in players who truly are hurt remaining on the field and jeopardizing their health to prevent a penalty. For now, the rules state that the only way discipline is levied is if a player, coach or club official admits to faking an injury.

It's good that the league recognized it publicly but I agree with many of the writers and commentators on this issue... it's practically impossible to regulate this and one should always err on the side of the player concerning injuries.

Teams will likely just establish ONE player as the fall-down player when a breather is needed for the D.

Its hard to regulate, sure. But even if they never punish someone, its in the league's best interests for it not to be so damn obvious as it was in the Giants/Rams game.

It just looks bad for the NFL, when its that obvious. More than one guy going down at once, obviously faking. That's embarrassing for the sport.

Completely unenforceable and a complete joke. Here's some examples:

Desean Jackson gets in a contract dispute with the Eagles and never wants to play there again. In his last game with the eagles he fakes injuries multiple times to royally screw them over and cost them draft picks....

A guy cramps up and is better within ten seconds.... (yes that can happen)

A player is winded during the no huddle and passes out from exhaustion/dehydration/whatever, or gets the wind knocked out of him. Recovers in seconds...

Clearly the giants faked the injuries, however its impossible to prove. This has been done before in professional and college football countless times. The giants were just blatant and stupid about it. The NFL needed to put this memo out there but we all know it has no teeth.

Completely unenforceable and a complete joke. Here's some examples:

Desean Jackson gets in a contract dispute with the Eagles and never wants to play there again. In his last game with the eagles he fakes injuries multiple times to royally screw them over and cost them draft picks....

1) If the Eagles coaches are that dense that they can't recognize Jackson faking injuries and take immediate action, they deserve to be penalized.

2) Jackson--and any other player--would be shooting himself in the foot if he shows he'll purposefully hurt his teammates and the franchise's future drafts for selfish reasons...nobody's gonna fork over some big signing bonus to a player like that. Hell, most teams won't even bother signing him if he would so willingly sabotage his own team and teammates, none of which played any role in his contract dispute.

A guy cramps up and is better within ten seconds.... (yes that can happen)

99% of the time a guy cramping up will look like a guy cramping up. He won't look like Blaine or Antoine from "Men On Film" fainting lol...

Men+on+Film.jpg

A player is winded during the no huddle and passes out from exhaustion/dehydration/whatever, or gets the wind knocked out of him. Recovers in seconds...

See above.

Clearly the giants faked the injuries, however its impossible to prove. This has been done before in professional and college football countless times. The giants were just blatant and stupid about it. The NFL needed to put this memo out there but we all know it has no teeth.

If the memo had been put out before the season began, do you think the Giants still would have done that ridiculous fake injury stunt?

And if they HAD done it, don't you think every other team out there would have been watching to see if the league took it seriously?

---------- Post added September-21st-2011 at 10:33 AM ----------

Here's the way to enforce it. When a player goes down with an apparent injury, make them sit out at least the rest of the drive.

As someone else said, though, now you're encouraging players and even unscrupulous coaches to ignore real injuries so that a player won't be removed from the rest of the drive.

;8548539']And it doesn't matter in which order it happened' date=' to say that Hixon's season and career may be over due to Karma is borderline idiotic.[/quote']

For some, "karma" is merely shorthand for "serves you right".

For others, they do believe that all the "good" and "bad" that you put out either individually or collectively, will come back to you in some form at some point in time.

I don't think either view is idiotic.

;8548539']And it doesn't matter in which order it happened' date=' to say that Hixon's season and career may be over due to Karma is borderline idiotic.[/quote']

Agreed. Its up there with all the posts about "jinxing" the last few days. Just infuriatingly stupid.

Now, if Califan is correct and people are using "Karma" as a buzzword for "serves you right", then okay. That's an opinion that I guess I can understand.

Agreed. Its up there with all the posts about "jinxing" the last few days. Just infuriatingly stupid.

Now, if Califan is correct and people are using "Karma" as a buzzword for "serves you right", then okay. That's an opinion that I guess I can understand.

That was the context I used. It's no more idiotic than players faking injuries when half their starting defense is either on IR or banged up

;8548570']I don't care how you mean it' date=' saying it after such a devastating injury to a player is. It is like saying he deserved it.[/quote']

I didn't say it.

And it would be a "serves you right" for the Giants...not for the individual player. "Serves the Giants right to have a player honestly get injured when they're purposefully having players fake injuries."

I didn't say it.

And it would be a "serves you right" for the Giants...not for the individual player. "Serves the Giants right to have a player honestly get injured when they're purposefully having players fake injuries."

Would you feel that way if it happened to a Skins player? And please don't tell me they haven't done it. I'm sure every team has. Maybe not as obvious but still.

;8548614']Would you feel that way if it happened to a Skins player?

I'd be embarrassed if the Skins had players so obviously faking injuries to begin with. I mean, these guys weren't just staying on the ground, they were practically fainting lol...and to do it so unconvincingly--and then have TWO of them do it at the same time while Tuck just stepped over one of them...good lord, what a sorry display that was.

I damn well guarantee you that half the members in the Stadium forum would be saying "serves us right" in one form or another if the same thing happened to us.

If the memo had been put out before the season began, do you think the Giants still would have done that ridiculous fake injury stunt?

And if they HAD done it, don't you think every other team out there would have been watching to see if the league took it seriously?

---------- Post added September-21st-2011 at 10:33 AM ----------

As someone else said, though, now you're encouraging players and even unscrupulous coaches to ignore real injuries so that a player won't be removed from the rest of the drive.

Yes, I think they would have still faked the injuries. Players have been faking injuries for years now when they have had no answer to an offense going no huddle (or playing Oregon's style of offense). This memo has no teeth and you, I, and everyone knows it. Faking injuries is embarrassing and pathetic, but to say it doesn't, or won't happen is laughable at best.

Yes, I think they would have still faked the injuries. Players have been faking injuries for years now when they have had no answer to an offense going no huddle (or playing Oregon's style of offense). This memo has no teeth and you, I, and everyone knows it. Faking injuries is embarrassing and pathetic, but to say it doesn't, or won't happen is laughable at best.

It won't happen again the way the Giants did it, that much I'll know. They didn't give a rat's ass if anyone knew they were faking it. Now they will.

---------- Post added September-21st-2011 at 11:12 AM ----------

;8548661']To say that what the Giants did is pathetic is fine. I was laughing and shook my head at it with some relief they found a way to slow the hurried no huddle and with some disgust. But to justify Hixon's injury because of it is idiotic.

No one's really "justifying" Hixon's injury. They just see the irony there and have zero problem commenting on it. Some are probably happy it happened to the team, not to Hixon individually. It could have been a 3rd string Safety, wouldn't have mattered.

It won't happen again the way the Giants did it, that much I'll know. They didn't give a rat's ass if anyone knew they were faking it. Now they will.

Agreed. So what changed exactly? Now every team will nominate a guy to fake the injury? Or guys will practice it so its more believeable , like in soccer? Do you really believe now if two guys fake injuries at the same time the league will actually take away draft picks?

So long as no one ever admits to faking an injury the NFL would never ever accuse a player of faking one. They have to err on the side of player safety and don't want another fight with the Player's Association. So again, nothing changed.

Archived