Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Switching cell phone carriers (AT&T to Sprint?)

Hey all, I'm on AT&T right now but I am thinking of switching to Sprint. So was I was wondering if anyone on here could tell me about their experiences with Sprint (call reception, pricing, internet speeds, etc) and whether it is better than AT&T. And I say Sprint because I am set on getting a Galaxy S2 which will not be available for Verizon.

And I know the Galaxy S2 will be available on AT&T as well but I see this as an opportunity to get the phone I want as well as switching to a potentially better service.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Get Verizon. Really, you get what you pay for. Sprint sucks - this is the testimony of every friend of mine that has it and wishes they were part of the Red Empire. Verizon passed on the Galaxy S II because they are getting the Droid Prime which will be superior and be the first phone with Android 4.0 ICS.

That said, ATT is launching their faster 4G service Sunday. Sprint has great phones, that is one thing I will give them over Verizon. They have a much better selection. However, the Droid Prime and eventually Google Nexus Prime will rule all, including the Galaxy S II.

My company recently forced me to switch from Verizon to Sprint. I had sprint years ago, so I was dreading the switch. I must admit, their coverage has gotten exponentially better. I haven't noticed a change at all, and actually, in a lot of cases, Sprint's coverage is better than Verizon's.

Verizon is over-rated. 5 years ago they had superior coverage, they really did. The playing field has leveled quite a bit. Keep in mind I have travelled to 30+ states this year alone, so I'm not just talking about where I live.

Besides I think verizon customer service sucks a big fat weiner too. In the words of Triumph, a verizon subscriber saying that sprint's customer service sucks is like vomit telling poo it stinks.

Sprint is fantastic. Those bashing the company obviously a)don't know what they're talking about and b)don't know what they're talking about.

You get unlimited data. No throttling, no limits. It's also cheaper than Verizon and AT&T, especially if you have more than one line.

I've never had a dropped call. I get service deep inside the building I work in. This is something I did not have with AT&T.

Internet speeds are a little slow right now but that's because Sprint is doing some major work on their network, and they're going to announce more about their 4G plans in early October.

Also: The iPhone is coming, so if you're into that kind of nonsense, well, you have that option.

You have 14 days to try out the service, so I say.. why not?

Edit: Just saw you are getting the Epic Touch. Go for it, it's a beast.

My company recently forced me to switch from Verizon to Sprint. I had sprint years ago, so I was dreading the switch. I must admit, their coverage has gotten exponentially better. I haven't noticed a change at all, and actually, in a lot of cases, Sprint's coverage is better than Verizon's.

Verizon is over-rated. 5 years ago they had superior coverage, they really did. The playing field has leveled quite a bit. Keep in mind I have travelled to 30+ states this year alone, so I'm not just talking about where I live.

Besides I think verizon customer service sucks a big fat weiner too. In the words of Triumph, a verizon subscriber saying that sprint's customer service sucks is like vomit telling poo it stinks.

Do you have a 4G phone. Because if you do, you'll quickly realize the vast superiority of Verizon's LTE network over everyone else, especially Sprint's comparatively weak WiMax.

If you are switching right now (I will be doing the EXACT SAME THING you are, ATT to Sprint) then currently the Galaxy S2 is the best phone. There will always be better phones that come out, this isn't 2002 when one good laptop/desktop/tv/phone would come out every couple of years, great new electronics come out monthly. What you get today, will be surpassed by something tomorrow, which will in turn be bypassed again. Don't worry about the hardware, get the best you can now and don't sweat it.

Service in this area was awful for ATT, anything will be better, lol

I'm not worried about the customer service, I know the manager of the local Sprint store here in woodbridge.

Yeah but the Droid Prime/Nexus Prime are coming out in the next couple months. The Droid Prime should be out next month.

---------- Post added September-16th-2011 at 09:54 AM ----------

What good is having really fast 4G when you have a 2GB data limit?

I have unlimited data. As does the rest of the 99% of Verizon customers who bought smartphones and data plans before they tiered it. Enjoy it now because eventually Sprint and the rest will tier their data also.

What good is having really fast 4G when you have a 2GB data limit?

that and i'm pretty sure that there is no actual 4g coverage in this area.

In fact it's classified as 'extended 4g coverage area**', and the ** means that the 4g coverage is actually 3g, but is close to a 4g area....which doesn't mean squat.

---------- Post added September-16th-2011 at 09:56 AM ----------

Yeah but the Droid Prime/Nexus Prime are coming out in the next couple months. The Droid Prime should be out next month.

---------- Post added September-16th-2011 at 09:54 AM ----------

I have unlimited data. As does the rest of the 99% of Verizon customers who bought smartphones and data plans before they tiered it. Enjoy it now because eventually Sprint and the rest will tier their data also.

so? after that there will be another phone that comes out and puts those to shame, and so on and so on. unless you plan on buying a phone every month it does no good to wait another month for a new one to come out.

and no, no they won't lol. i actually find it funny that you say you are grandfathered in, so it doesn't matter, then go on to criticize sprint for the same thing that you THINK they will do.

so? after that there will be another phone that comes out and puts those to shame, and so on and so on. unless you plan on buying a phone every month it does no good to wait another month for a new one to come out.

Exactly.

Chasing the latest phone technology is silly. You will be behind every 6 months. Advancements are going to start coming quicker than ever.

Exactly.

Chasing the latest phone technology is silly. You will be behind every 6 months. Advancements are going to start coming quicker than ever.

yep, all it took was me listening to my friend at sprint talk about all the new phones they will have out now, in two months, in january, blah blah blah, and then my wife simply state, this is the phone i want. it has everything i need, and is as fast as i need it to go.

people, me included, get caught up in all the hype, but there's always going to be something newer and better, just get a good phone, something you know you can live with and like.

that and i'm pretty sure that there is no actual 4g coverage in this area.

In fact it's classified as 'extended 4g coverage area**', and the ** means that the 4g coverage is actually 3g, but is close to a 4g area....which doesn't mean squat.

---------- Post added September-16th-2011 at 09:56 AM ----------

and no, no they won't lol. i actually find it funny that you say you are grandfathered in, so it doesn't matter, then go on to criticize sprint for the same thing that you THINK they will do.

Yes but you might as well wait and get a phone with Android 4.0. Normally it wouldn't matter but this is the bridge of a new Android "generation." Now, once you get an Android 4.0 phone, then it makes no difference because I agree, there's no point in waiting a year for a brand spankin' new phone that will be obsolete in two weeks.

Verizon will probably force you to pick a tier eventually and when that date comes, Tow Jam can laugh all he wants. It's basic marketing. One company shows they make more money doing it, the rest follow. I'm sure you enjoy getting news for free online. That could be gone eventually also.

Do you have a 4G phone. Because if you do, you'll quickly realize the vast superiority of Verizon's LTE network over everyone else, especially Sprint's comparatively weak WiMax.

yes, I have the HTC. I had a blackberry with verizon.

Don't really notice a difference, my phone does everything I want it to do. Surf the internet, mail, etc. I'm not a movie/music guy for my phone.

---------- Post added September-16th-2011 at 10:19 AM ----------

Truthfully, I'd get rid of my cell phone if I could. I hate this ****ing thing.

I wish it was the 1980s. I wish when I went on business trips it meant "out of the office and unavailable". What it means is you're required to do your job from a ****ing airplane. And that sucks ass.

cell phones blow.

yes, I have the HTC. I had a blackberry with verizon.

Don't really notice a difference, my phone does everything I want it to do. Surf the internet, mail, etc. I'm not a movie/music guy for my phone.

---------- Post added September-16th-2011 at 10:19 AM ----------

Truthfully, I'd get rid of my cell phone if I could. I hate this ****ing thing.

I wish it was the 1980s. I wish when I went on business trips it meant "out of the office and unavailable". What it means is you're required to do your job from a ****ing airplane. And that sucks ass.

cell phones blow.

Blackberry isn't 4G though. The recent review of the Droid Bionic I read immediately made note of Verizon's network averaging 4 mbps faster than Sprint. But, if you aren't a movie/streaming guy, you're absolutely right, it makes no difference. How is the Evo 4G by the way?

Hands down the best service for your money. Unlimited everything for $70. I switched and love it. The 4g is not great, but I rarely use it. I get service in the Metro, which I could not with AT&T. I had AT&T for about 8 years, and got so fed up with dropped calls and their outrageous rates.

Sprint is the way to go in DC.

How is the Evo 4G by the way?

huge improvement. I was extremely weary about doing this since I'd owned HTC phones in the past and they were downright terrible.

I still miss an actual keyboard, I will never get used to a touch screen keyboard (I think they make a version, I don't have that one). And the auto-correct makes me want to pull my hair out. Other than that the phone is fine

The droid platform is pretty damn nice. I'm going to buy an iPhone for my wife this Christmas so I'll have something to compare it to

Yes but you might as well wait and get a phone with Android 4.0. Normally it wouldn't matter but this is the bridge of a new Android "generation." Now, once you get an Android 4.0 phone, then it makes no difference because I agree, there's no point in waiting a year for a brand spankin' new phone that will be obsolete in two weeks.

Verizon will probably force you to pick a tier eventually and when that date comes, Tow Jam can laugh all he wants. It's basic marketing. One company shows they make more money doing it, the rest follow. I'm sure you enjoy getting news for free online. That could be gone eventually also.

psh, that's what we have ES for, and they would never charge us.....right? RIGHT?!?!?!

Hands down the best service for your money. Unlimited everything for $70. I switched and love it. The 4g is not great, but I rarely use it. I get service in the Metro, which I could not with AT&T. I had AT&T for about 8 years, and got so fed up with dropped calls and their outrageous rates.

Sprint is the way to go in DC.

this is exactly, exactly why I am doing this. I have had ATT since they were cellular one way back when, I defended them for forever...I just can't do it anymore. Terrible customer service, dropped calls, slow network, and they nickel and dime EVERYTHING you do.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I might go with Sprint because a)it's cheaper and b)I'm fine with getting the Epic 4g Touch despite what may come out after it. I realize new phones come out all the time but I have had my iPhone 3gs for two years and I really do like the Epic 4g Touch.

Additional question, is the 4G really not that great in the DC area? I browse the web daily on my iPhone and surely it must be substantially better than AT&T's 3G even though it may not be the best 4G relatively speaking.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I might go with Sprint because a)it's cheaper and b)I'm fine with getting the Epic 4g Touch despite what may come out after it. I realize new phones come out all the time but I have had my iPhone 3gs for two years and I really do like the Epic 4g Touch.

Additional question, is the 4G really not that great in the DC area? I browse the web daily on my iPhone and surely it must be substantially better than AT&T's 3G even though it may not be the best 4G relatively speaking.

i currently have the iphone 3gs too, I KNOW YOUR PAIN, lol. if you are going sprint though their new phone just came out today, with a new contract its $199.

no, it sucks, lol. in all the areas i frequent there is either 'extended 4g coverage' (or they could just say 3g coverage) or no 4g coverage. it's coming, don't worry, you'll notice a difference in speed just by upgrading your phone, believe it, lol.

i've had both. i had sprint for years with very few problems, then was convinced by my wife to switch to verizon so i could save a few bucks with her friends and family deal. within 2 months, i wanted to switch back.

for one, sprint actually works better at my house. i will say that in out of the way places (like deep creek lake, for example) verizon has better coverage, but around moco, where i am 99% of the time, i'm great.

my verizon phones (env 3 and env - however you spell it- touch) were terrible. every few months i was exchanging them cuz they all would randomly turn off. they tried over and over again to reprogram them, to no avail. after a year of bad phone after bad phone, my 'warranty' was up. so, i had to pay full price if i wanted a working phone. or sign a 2 year deal to get a 'discount'. no thanks.

they also advised me to get one of those things for my house that acts as a cell phone antenna so i can use my phone in my house. i said ok, they said $250, please. what? you want me to pay the best network in america extra so i can use my phone in germantown MD, when your prices are already about double of what i was paying at sprint. no thanks.

i actually left 18 months into my 2 year contract - gladly paying the $75 termination fee- so i could get a virgin mobile phone on the sprint network. now i can use my phone in my house, without a long term contract, cancel whenever i want, and i pay about $45 a month for all the minutes and data i can use. and no problems with my phone, either. works like a charm.

i'm in the minority when it comes to these 2 companies, but all i can comment on is my experience. and dont get me started with my experience with Fios installation (which i still have, btw).

dang weren't they bell atlantic or something then too with james earl jones? does that make your age 63 and not 36?

no this was 1999 iirc- GTE Wireless merged with one of the bells to create Verizon wireless around 2000. I think. Someone google it or something.

All I remember about it is the suck.

Archived