Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any interior designers on ES? I need some serious assistance!

ZoEd

I currently moved from MS to DE, Dover AFB and I'm renting a home. The problem I'm having is the LR has 32' ceilings with one entire wall filled with windows and doors, plus, the homeowner installed accent lighting/slash fixtures at eye level all the way around the room. These lights are at eye level, exactly where I'd typically hang pictures. I can't get over the feeling that hanging my pictures two to three feet above eye level will look atrocious! I don't know what they were thinking when they installed these lights but they're really throwing a wrench into things.

So, are there any interior decorators around ES that could help advise me on what to do? I'm lost and my wife is on my ass to get her pictures hung, but of course she's not sure where she wants them either. HELP!

I currently moved from MS to DE, Dover AFB and I'm renting a home. The problem I'm having is the LR has 32' ceilings with one entire wall filled with windows and doors, plus, the homeowner installed accent lighting/slash fixtures at eye level all the way around the room. These lights are at eye level, exactly where I'd typically hang pictures. I can't get over the feeling that hanging my pictures two to three feet above eye level will look atrocious! I don't know what they were thinking when they installed these lights but they're really throwing a wrench into things.

So, are there any interior decorators around ES that could help advise me on what to do? I'm lost and my wife is on my ass to get her pictures hung, but of course she's not sure where she wants them either. HELP!

I'm not an "interior" designer but I am a graphic designer and I've worked in a museum where the hanging of art is a serious thing. :-)

Without seeing it and going off your description, my first thought would be to try to use what you have in a different way, maybe by staggering the pictures above and below the lighting fixtures? In between? Somehow you are going to have to use what you have in a creative way. If the lights don't stick out too far and you are willing to do the work and spend the money, maybe you could have someone build some sort of simple, large, frame and panel that would hold the pictures in front of the lights? Cover the panel with some kind of textured fabric in your color of choice and it would look architectural. I'm not sure if I'm describing it well, but if it is well done, it could look pretty cool and make those lights sort of an indirect accent. If you like it you could take it with you the next time you move. Not being the home owner and without the option of moving the lights, I'm not sure what else to suggest.

Love the helicopter and mobile ideas! That would be awesome! Unfortunately Idon't own the home so I can't take the lights out, I mean, I guess I could, wire nut them and put a cover over the hole with the pictures in front but then I wouldn't have much light in the LR. I don't know, this house is pretty sweet with tons of bells and whistles but they paid more attention to the wow factor with little consideration to practicality. There's no linen closets, but it has a central vacuum system. There's a ton of lights, everyone of them on a dimmer but no lights in the master bedroom. But, we're only in it for a couple years then I'll be retiring so it will do for now. The 3.5 acres, three car garage, above ground pool and almost 3K sq feet make up for it's short comings.

Anyway, back to the picture hanging. I think I may remove a couple of the lights and put cover plates over the holes so I can hang some pictures there, it's simple and I can put them back when I move out. As for the ceilings, as I sit here and look at them I think the owner, he is a retired Army Lt Col so go figure, but I think he was over exaggerating. I'd put them around 20' to 25' max, no way they're 32'.

Mad Mike, it would be cool to do some custom stuff like that but only if I owned the place. A couple years ago I wasbummed that I had never owned my own home but seeing the market the way it is now, man am I thankful I haven't purchased yet. I will here in the near future and would love to build something similar to my current home but with much more practical amenities built into the home. Anyway, I'll try to take some pictures and show ya'll what I'm talking about.

Love the helicopter and mobile ideas! That would be awesome! Unfortunately Idon't own the home so I can't take the lights out, I mean, I guess I could, wire nut them and put a cover over the hole with the pictures in front but then I wouldn't have much light in the LR. I don't know, this house is pretty sweet with tons of bells and whistles but they paid more attention to the wow factor with little consideration to practicality. There's no linen closets, but it has a central vacuum system. There's a ton of lights, everyone of them on a dimmer but no lights in the master bedroom. But, we're only in it for a couple years then I'll be retiring so it will do for now. The 3.5 acres, three car garage, above ground pool and almost 3K sq feet make up for it's short comings.

Anyway, back to the picture hanging. I think I may remove a couple of the lights and put cover plates over the holes so I can hang some pictures there, it's simple and I can put them back when I move out. As for the ceilings, as I sit here and look at them I think the owner, he is a retired Army Lt Col so go figure, but I think he was over exaggerating. I'd put them around 20' to 25' max, no way they're 32'.

Mad Mike, it would be cool to do some custom stuff like that but only if I owned the place. A couple years ago I wasbummed that I had never owned my own home but seeing the market the way it is now, man am I thankful I haven't purchased yet. I will here in the near future and would love to build something similar to my current home but with much more practical amenities built into the home. Anyway, I'll try to take some pictures and show ya'll what I'm talking about.

Yeah, I understand. But I'd definitely go with the helicopter idea. :D

Archived