Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If football players practice at training camp and no fans are there to watch....

MonkfortheHall

....does the team improve?

I'm getting a bit tired about hearing how attendance at training camp is low and how this, somehow, means anything for our football team. Yes, it might reflect some attitude shift by our fan base, but I think it matters about as much as [insert something that doesn't matter at all]. These are professional coaches and players. Who is in attendance during practice does not effect what they do whatsoever. And if it does, then that is not a good sign.

Sure, it might be more entertaining for the football players to hear cheers after a good play from fans, but maybe this is exactly what this teams needs. We got rid of Albert and Donovan. Maybe fewer fans could refocus the players on football and getting better.

I'm in no way saying attending training camp is wrong. I go every year. I'm just tired of hearing about fan attendance on the radio like it somehow matters. Just my 2 cents.

HTTR!!!

I've personally never gotten the appeal of going to watch football players practice. Each to their own, and I'm not knocking those that do, but that is the very definition of a morning/ afternoon's tedium to me.

Personally, if I were a HC, I'd want way more private practices in camp than public. (I'd actually prefer a closed camp, but that wouldn't fly in this day and age.). There's way more to be done in a closed practice than a fluff public one when you don't want prying eyes to see much of what your really doing. And like you alluded to, the guys focus would be that much more intense I'd wager without the sideshow of spectators cheering on.

Very interesting question for debate.

Hail.

Sure, it might be more entertaining for the football players to hear cheers after a good play from fans, but maybe this is exactly what this teams needs. We got rid of Albert and Donovan. Maybe fewer fans could refocus the players on football and getting better.

A good point, can it really hurt? And IMO people are making a big deal about attendance numbers as some lack of interest when the economy has been stomping people like bugs, many are less likely to bail on work to go.

The fan attendance and oppressive media coverage must add a lot of stress to the practices.

This makes me wonder about the issue of having four preseason games. It wasn't an issue, decades ago, when every little thing wasn't reported and analyzed.

The preseason games weren't always televised so nobody cared.

I've personally never gotten the appeal of going to watch football players practice.

For me, the appeals are:

Seeing the newest draft picks and free agents, especially after a long off-season... hungry with hope.

Getting to make comparisons yourself as position players do drills (passes, receptions, run routes, defensive coverage)... trying to making your own decisions on who should earn a roster spot.

And watching (and photographing) from 2 feet to 20 yards away instead of 80,000 seats away or between commercials on TV.

But yeah, it's not for everyone. Some people can't stand to watch preseason games. Heck, some people can't stand to watch sports at all... basically grossly overpaid guys just playing a game.

Do the players need 80,000+ fans in the stands during regular season? Would the team play better without them?

The fans and media are a player's harshest critics. If you are a Redskins player, you should want the fans and media circus to be there! Reasons:

1) No matter what the players say, there will always be a part of them that cares about the public's opinion of them. It's human nature. Therefore, you're going to want to minimize mistakes and consequently practice harder and better. Tim Hightower has the case of fumbilitis, but I bet you he's sick of dropping the football in front of a bunch of people snapping photos.

2) Because of no. 1, a psuedo-gameday atmosphere is created at training camp. And there's no better practice than recreating conditions for the exact reason you're practicing for in the first place. Sure, training camp fans provide distractions, but there are a whole lot more on game days and these fans are doing the players a favor.

There should be a few weekly practices open to the public, in my opinion. Not to the extent where the specifics of the game plan are revealed, but enough to keep the players focused.

Archived