Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BR: Lofa Tatupu: 4 Reasons the Washington Redskins Will Sign Former Seahawks LB

kumadapuma

I'd much rather see Perry Riley. And this is why the fan base is hypocritical. A formerly good but injured player on the decline versus a young up and coming guy who by all accounts is impressing in camp and the coaching staff believes in him.

Nope, we'd much rather take the guy who made the pro-bowl in the past but will never make it again, and let our young talent rot away on the bench.

Will people stop with this perry riley guy...Do u guys even care about winning?obviosly the coaches do on defense cause we have ALL NEW players besides fletch orak cariker and hall thats 7 new guys starting.U guys want to win but u dont want to spend to win.i want a trophy not to give young UNPROVEN guys chances.....sorry im tired of going 5-11 and 6-10 we arent the bills or raiders we pride ourselves with rings and winning not losing

And the 5th reason the Washington Redskins will sign former Seahawks LB:

It's a pretty cool name. They have to keep the cool name quota filled, especially after cutting Kemoeatu. (Kemo-eat-u)

Really it's cuz of his attitude he brings to the team, lockeroom and field.:)

Will people stop with this perry riley guy...Do u guys even care about winning?obviosly the coaches do on defense cause we have ALL NEW players besides fletch orak cariker and hall thats 7 new guys starting.

Um...Landry was a starter last year before he got hurt...he's not new. Barnes isn't new. Riley was on the team last year...alexander...Rob Jackson. They may not have been starters but it's not like we turned over our entire roster the way you make it sound. Atogwe is one sure new starter, and probably Cofield, maybe Kerrigan when he's healthy, but there hasn't been that much turnover.

U guys want to win but u dont want to spend to win.i want a trophy not to give young UNPROVEN guys chances.....sorry im tired of going 5-11 and 6-10 we arent the bills or raiders we pride ourselves with rings and winning not losing

Okay first off, "you" is just two more letters. These guys are draft picks. This team has spent years doing what you want to continue doing....sign a bunch of vets and go for it. That's what's been getting us all those 5-11 and 6-10 seasons you're so tired of. Why not try a different way, drafting young and giving them a chance? Pretty much everyone on this site is on board with the new plan.

You can be contrarian if you'd like, but please, for God's sake, spell your words out ;)

Really it's cuz of his attitude he brings to the team, lockeroom and field.:)

There can be a 6th reason. ;)

---------- Post added August-4th-2011 at 08:50 PM ----------

Russellmania980 Chris Russell

Mike Shanahan on Lofa Tatupu who was in for a physical -- "No, we haven't signed him. Yet." Pretty telling right there. #Redskins

Less than a minute ago on twitter

There can be a 6th reason. ;)

---------- Post added August-4th-2011 at 08:50 PM ----------

Russellmania980 Chris Russell

Mike Shanahan on Lofa Tatupu who was in for a physical -- "No, we haven't signed him. Yet." Pretty telling right there. #Redskins

Less than a minute ago on twitter

Thanks Chris, way to break it! lol. I think this will be a good signing. Give Lofa a light work load this year, let him heal up, and then work him in here and there and get him ready for when London hangs em up and starts coaching!

Maybe Perry Riley will develop some day. But to be honest I don't understand some of the people in this thread acting as though he has earned something more than an opportunity to compete. If he is better than Tatupu he will beat him in competition for the position if not he will be a back up. Either way it turns out the Redskins have nothing to lose from bringing in the best competition they can find and let the the best man win.

Um...Landry was a starter last year before he got hurt...he's not new. Barnes isn't new. Riley was on the team last year...alexander...Rob Jackson. They may not have been starters but it's not like we turned over our entire roster the way you make it sound. Atogwe is one sure new starter, and probably Cofield, maybe Kerrigan when he's healthy, but there hasn't been that much turnover.

Bowen will start what is wrong with u?Josh wilson will start.U THINK BARNES WILL START OVER WILSON....u must be smoking something

Okay first off, "you" is just two more letters. These guys are draft picks. This team has spent years doing what you want to continue doing....sign a bunch of vets and go for it. That's what's been getting us all those 5-11 and 6-10 seasons you're so tired of. Why not try a different way, drafting young and giving them a chance? Pretty much everyone on this site is on board with the new plan.

You can be contrarian if you'd like, but please, for God's sake, spell your words out ;)

---------- Post added August-5th-2011 at 02:11 AM ----------

And another thing....If u think the Way u want us to win with "young guys"u are nuts if u think we will beat the eagles or even lose by 14 or less points.......Mark my words this team will not win a sb in the next 5 years or the playoffs with this talent.......We arent better then anybody in the north or nfc east or nfc south.Hell i think the panthers may be better then us....sad times to be a skins fan....

Maybe Perry Riley will develop some day. But to be honest I don't understand some of the people in this thread acting as though he has earned something more than an opportunity to compete. If he is better than Tatupu he will beat him in competition for the position if not he will be a back up. Either way it turns out the Redskins have nothing to lose from bringing in the best competition they can find and let the the best man win.

I think you are taking it out of context....let me try something different. Riley and Fletcher position in the 3-4 are different.

Secondly, I believe that most of us who like Riley, would support bringing in Lofa, and it would be best if Lofa backed up Fletch this year to learn the ropes of Fletches spot in the 3-4.

Most fans (atleast me) don't feel that Riley has "earned" anything, I think he deserves to be developed on the field, because that's how he get's better. If Tatupu comes in and he and Fletch play both ILB spots, then say next year Fletch retires, we still have a raw Perry Riley. He needs those reps is all anyone is saying.

And I'll tell you, I want Lofa bad, but I want Riley on that football field come week one. It's win win. Lofa learns Fletch's spot AND GETS HEALTHY, and Riley develops in the system with live bullets.

I think you are taking it out of context....let me try something different. Riley and Fletcher position in the 3-4 are different.

Secondly, I believe that most of us who like Riley, would support bringing in Lofa, and it would be best if Lofa backed up Fletch this year to learn the ropes of Fletches spot in the 3-4.

Most fans (atleast me) don't feel that Riley has "earned" anything, I think he deserves to be developed on the field, because that's how he get's better. If Tatupu comes in and he and Fletch play both ILB spots, then say next year Fletch retires, we still have a raw Perry Riley. He needs those reps is all anyone is saying.

And I'll tell you, I want Lofa bad, but I want Riley on that football field come week one. It's win win. Lofa learns Fletch's spot AND GETS HEALTHY, and Riley develops in the system with live bullets.

If we sign Lofa and he is healthy he should start. You don't think he could learn more about Fletcher's spot from being on the field next to him? And your right Perry needs reps, which he will still get plenty of I'm sure in sub packages. Just because he doesn't start doesn't mean he wont get playing time.

I don't think I am taking anything out of context. I keep seeing, and not only in this thread fans talking about Perry Riley and how much they want him to get his shot. And that bringing in someone else would be a mistake because they would like to see what Riley has. My contention is that by bringing in someone like Tatupu that is exactly what you will get. Riley will get plenty of reps between now and the start of the season. I agree that maybe someone like Tatupu could eventually take over for Fletcher, but that is not what he will be needed for this season, baring an injury.

I don't think I am taking anything out of context. I keep seeing, and not only in this thread fans talking about Perry Riley and how much they want him to get his shot. And that bringing in someone else would be a mistake because they would like to see what Riley has. My contention is that by bringing in someone like Tatupu that is exactly what you will get. Riley will get plenty of reps between now and the start of the season. I agree that maybe someone like Tatupu could eventually take over for Fletcher, but that is not what he will be needed for this season, baring an injury.

Eh, I'm not picking up on that.

Maybe it's just the fanbase as a whole wanting (for once) to see what we have in house. We've seen this before. Ryan Clark/Adam Archuleta and so on.

dballer,

I would rather use Tatupu in sub packages (to ease him in) as opposed to Riley. If Riley isn't getting it and is regressing on the field, then I would let Lofa get in there with Fletcher. But, as you said, only if he's healthy.

I think Riley has great potential, and he definitely deserves a shot. I'm also all for signing Lofa for the right price IF he is healthy. The more competition and depth we have the better. I don't think signing Lofa would mean that Riley gets demoted. I think Shanny would let the two duke it out and let the best man start.

Archived