Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BR: Lofa Tatupu: 4 Reasons the Washington Redskins Will Sign Former Seahawks LB

kumadapuma

Bleacher Report is a great website with interesting articles on all sports. I am not sure how credible they are as a source, but it is a great sports website.

It's a bunch of bloggers. They have no credibility at all...the only thing BR is good for is some good summer fodder until the season actually starts.

So what happens if London goes down? Do we trust Riley and Henson out there? HB Blades? Who will lead the defense? Also London can't play forever.

If he's deemed healthy I would be for this move. He is not that old. I am sure we could still work the young guys into the rotation as the season plays on.

I'm for Perry Riley over signing Tatupu as well, we need to stay young and try to avoid past injured players at key positions. If we want to have the Superbowl team we all want to see, follow the mold of what Green Bay has done, build through the draft and continuously get younger, and throw your young players out there and see what they have when somebody gets hurt.

Honestly what happened to his knees? He played all 16 games last year and is 28 years old. I think we should get him for depth, he will start alongside London and if you guys are worried about developing Perry Riley, dont worry, he will see the field. They sub in and out linebackers too

He had arthroscopic surgery on both knees in January and honestly nobody knows how they look because all information was locked down because of the lockout. His knees bothered him all of last year, and he has been banged up quite a bit over the last few years. I just don't know what you will be able to count on from him. I think too many people think that he is going to be the guy that he was when he first come into the league and I doubt that is going to be the case. I would not mind having him if the price was right, but I would not pencil him as being a starter and I think someone is going to jump and offer him more than he is worth at this stage in his career.

I'd much rather see Perry Riley. And this is why the fan base is hypocritical. A formerly good but injured player on the decline versus a young up and coming guy who by all accounts is impressing in camp and the coaching staff believes in him.

Nope, we'd much rather take the guy who made the pro-bowl in the past but will never make it again, and let our young talent rot away on the bench.

+1

I'm for Perry Riley over signing Tatupu as well, we need to stay young and try to avoid past injured players at key positions. If we want to have the Superbowl team we all want to see, follow the mold of what Green Bay has done, build through the draft and continuously get younger, and throw your young players out there and see what they have when somebody gets hurt.

Throwing young players out there before the coaches feel they are ready can increase the risk of those young players getting hurt also.

I'd much rather see Perry Riley. And this is why the fan base is hypocritical. A formerly good but injured player on the decline versus a young up and coming guy who by all accounts is impressing in camp and the coaching staff believes in him.

Nope, we'd much rather take the guy who made the pro-bowl in the past but will never make it again, and let our young talent rot away on the bench.

I think he goes to the Bears because Chicago is in dire straights for an ILB.

Throwing young players out there before the coaches feel they are ready can increase the risk of those young players getting hurt also.

That's true to an extent, but Perry Riley is not an undrafted free agent. We are not just throwing him in the fire. He got some experience last year and if the coaches think he is ready to go then that's fine by me.

I would rather do that than drop a few million and possibly a multi-year deal on someone that might be done. We have thrown a lot of money essentially in a hole over the last decade. If he comes cheap and it is a one-year deal, fine. I am all for that. But I would not be surprised if someone goes overboard on a contract based on his past exploits. I just hope it is not us.

That's true to an extent, but Perry Riley is not an undrafted seventh rounder. We are not just throwing him in the fire. He got some experience last year and if the coaches think he is ready to go then that's fine by me.

I would rather do that than drop a few million and possibly a multi-year deal on someone that might be done. We have thrown a lot of money essentially in a hole over the last decade. If he comes cheap and it is a one-year deal, fine. I am all for that. But I would not be surprised if someone goes overboard on a contract based on his past exploits. I just hope it is not us.

:confused:

say what?!

Most of y'all sound like a bunch of sheep right now. Look at his nfl page, outside of 2009, he's only missed one game in 5 seasons. If shanallen feel he can help our team, I'm down for it. He won't get some $13 million signing bonus, those days are over. So if he comes and it doesn't work, so wat?

Who says Tatupu has to come in with a starting role? Riley is a thumped in the middle that could sub out in Nickel packages. Plenty of successful 3-4 defenses have nickel coverage linebackers that come in on passing downs. Limiting his snaps could maximize his productivity while giving him real snaps to get his body right. If he can regain his health we have a potential replacement for London Fletcher down the road. If he doesn't its not like we have a Logan of talent at ILB. This is all assuming he can pass a physical and sign an incentive laden contract for a role player.

Most of y'all sound like a bunch of sheep right now. Look at his nfl page, outside of 2009, he's only missed one game in 5 seasons. If shanallen feel he can help our team, I'm down for it. He won't get some $13 million signing bonus, those days are over. So if he comes and it doesn't work, so wat?

I don't know what you mean by a bunch of sheep. Seems like there are some that want him and some that don't. There are plenty of people that know what they are talking about that have serious questions about his effectiveness at this point in his career. I am fine with us bringing him in, but it should not be for a high amout of money. I think sheep might more categorize people that hear his name and assume that he is going to come in here and have 130 tackles like he did in 2006, knowing nothing about his injury problems and generally pedestrian play over the last few years. I am not saying anyone here is doing that, but a lot of people elsewhere are.

Sure, he has only missed one game other than the 11 that he missed in 2009, but there is no denying that his play has dropped off in the last few years. I applaud him for playing hurt, but if your production suffers, that may not be a positive. Like I said, if he comes cheap, I am all for it, but I don't know if that is going to happen.

That's true to an extent, but Perry Riley is not an undrafted free agent. We are not just throwing him in the fire. He got some experience last year and if the coaches think he is ready to go then that's fine by me.

I totallly agree with the emphasis on "if the coaches think he is ready to go". If they feel the need to bring in Tatupu then maybe that's not the case or they want an insurance policy just in case.

Archived