Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rupert Murdoch arrives to take charge of (phone) hacking crisis

Baculus

I think it's fair to look at two unrelated businesses with the same boss to see if there is a tree of corruption. I have no problems if you want to say problems at Disneyland means we need to take a gander at ESPN. At the same time, it's just as fair or even more reasonable to apply that scrutiny when the two businesses are in the sam industry, run by the same person and have the same governing philosophy esp. if both businesses have already been found to be rife with ethical questionmarks.

Yeah but what about Keith Olbermann? Remember what he said about senator Brown? what about that, huh? Huh?

~Rehash

Because the two newscorp businesses are NEWS businesses.

I'm not implying anythng. I'm flat out saying that Fox lies and distorts. There's no question about that.

Considering their sister company just got busted being about as sleazy as can be should start some folks to paying more attention to what else Murdoch's media companies do.

But the ones who should pay attention won't, and likely will do the usual " Oh yeah, well look at...." rather than see anything out of order from their side of the story.

Whether he's first or last to ever be sleazy isn't the point. The point is that this thread is about one of his companies. Not about NBC or CBS or anyone else.

And I've never ever seen any other newspaper of such size run out of business practically overnight for a breech in the public trust like this. I've seen journalists fired, newsmen disgraced, (not of Fox, mind you. They can seemingly say anything without reprisal) but never an entire comapny run out of business.

~Bang

Your "Fox....distorts" mantra is actually correct...they do...but so does every other major media outlet and your constant drumbeat about only one seems amazingly simple minded.

Of course you probably think the bombs dropping now are just coincidental timing and have nothing to do with BSkyB and who benefits.

Your "Fox....distorts" mantra is actually correct...they do...but so does every other major media outlet and your constant drumbeat about only one seems amazingly simple minded.

Of course you probably think the bombs dropping now are just coincidental timing and have nothing to do with BSkyB and who benefits.

My constant Fox drumbeat is in the threads about Fox (and in this case, their sister.)

As I've told all the others who claim this, you can also read my thoughts on the "Overt and conscious liberal bias" in the thread entitled "Overt and Conscious Examples of liberal Bias" that burgold started last year, and has been ongoing. I've had plenty to say.

Always fun when you guys claim i'm only vieiwing one side when you come into threads about Fox (and their sisters) and claim i only ***** about them. (just last week there was a thread about Chris Matthews. I called him an ass because I think he IS an ass. Funny no one came in there and told me to stop complaining about him in a thread about him.)

I think the "equal time" demand is ludicrous. This thread isn't about NBC, ABC, XYZ, BR549, or anything else.It's about Murdoch. And he owns....?

As I've said uncounted times in theser threads about Fox, if you'd ike my views on another news outlet, start a thread about it. if it is worthwhile, I'll post my thoughts.

But to complain that I'm ****ing about Fox in Fox related threads is getting to be ridiculous. It's simply an attempt to divert attention, and it's almost always the same group who do it.

even this,, now the attempt is to make it about me, and not the trash that serves as conservative "news".

Talk about simpleminded...

~Bang

Just for curiousity, how many bridges have you jumped off of? I ask because I remember my Mom asking me if everyone else was jumping off a bridge, would I?

So, even if you were right that everyone does it that doesn't mean you should endorse or accept the practice, does it?

For what it's worth, based on my experience not every news agency does do it, not with the regularity, the direction, or intent as generated by FOX. FOX's lies and distortions are much more purposeful and agenda driven. Heck, they don't want to present the news. They want to be a conservative news station which means that they are starting out with the effort to bias the news. Still, you're likely to argue that no news agency is 100% free of bias and you are correct, but as I have said or tried to explain there is an important difference between having a bias and having an agenda. FOX has an agenda as does Murdoch. It permeates everything they do and every story is edited to maximize that. The result is that the facts become secondary to the story they wish to tell and that IS different then every other newsroom I have been a part of. It should be intolerable.

Mostly though, it reflects badly on those conservatives whose stories and perspectives hadn't received enough light because the legit stories and questions get composted with the rest. In order to find the good in FOX one has to do a lot of sifting and that is a shame. Conservatives deserve a better voice. They deserve a higher standard of quality and integrity.

Just for curiousity, how many bridges have you jumped off of? I ask because I remember my Mom asking me if everyone else was jumping off a bridge, would I?

So, even if you were right that everyone does it that doesn't mean you should endorse or accept the practice, does it?

For what it's worth, based on my experience not every news agency does do it, not with the regularity, the direction, or intent as generated by FOX. FOX's lies and distortions are much more purposeful and agenda driven. Heck, they don't want to present the news. They want to be a conservative news station which means that they are starting out with the effort to bias the news. Still, you're likely to argue that no news agency is 100% free of bias and you are correct, but as I have said or tried to explain there is an important difference between having a bias and having an agenda. FOX has an agenda as does Murdoch. It permeates everything they do and every story is edited to maximize that. The result is that the facts become secondary to the story they wish to tell and that IS different then every other newsroom I have been a part of. It should be intolerable.

Mostly though, it reflects badly on those conservatives whose stories and perspectives hadn't received enough light because the legit stories and questions get composted with the rest. In order to find the good in FOX one has to do a lot of sifting and that is a shame. Conservatives deserve a better voice. They deserve a higher standard of quality and integrity.

But,, but Dan Rather...!

hey!

Look over there!

~Bang

Interesting silence from the usual Fox defenders.

~Bang

It's deafening, innit? Where are the Fair and Balanced keepers of the flame?

I have to admit that my schadenfreude is pretty high when I read about this, though -- it couldn't have happened to a more appropriate person and company.

---------- Post added July-11th-2011 at 08:38 PM ----------

Actually, most of the mainstream papers and TV channels try to retain some sort of journalistic integrity, which is why people are fired when they violate it. (Do you ever see that over at Fox News?) That is also why the equivalency argument isn't accurate, because Fox knowingly engages in distortions. Sure, some channels have engaged in falsification, but it's usually for ratings -- it isn't their ideological modus operandi . . . unlike Fox News.

Papers have recently been recently which shows that Roger Ailes was initially involved with an attempt to form a GOP media propaganda wing during the Nixon years, and it's clear that Fox News has one objective: right-wing information dissemination. That isn't fair nor balanced nor the news, but an infomercial for a political belief system.

What Faux does is more than distort....to pretend that Faux equals every other journalistic institution is to be blind or ignorant....or intentionally both.

It's deafening, innit? Where are the Fair and Balanced keepers of the flame?
I guess no one wanted to interrupt the little circle jerk you guys were having. This has turned into yet another Fox News is the devil thread, when Fox news is not involved here. British tabloid journalism (if it can be called that) is something Americans do not quite understand (thankfully). The British cannot get enough of the junk news and guys like Murdoch are only to happy to make billions while giving it to them. The british mass's insatiable thirst for garbage is as much to blame as anything else.

Archived