Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sporting News: Michael Irvin cautions Cowboys against potential QB controversy

tr1

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-04-24/michael-irvin-cautions-cowboys-against-potential-qb-controversy

If the Dallas Cowboys are indeed mulling over the idea of replacing Tony Romo sits to pee with Jon Kitna as their starting quarterback -- or at least opening up the competition -- Dallas Hall of Fame wide receiver Michael Irvin warns them to think twice.

As a guest of NFL Network colleague Rich Eisen on Eisen's NFL.com podcast, Irvin says that kind of situation would have an adverse effect on Romo sits to pee's psyche, rather than the desired motivation that can come from competition.

"You can't mess with their head." Irvin said. "They need to know that, 'My coach is with me.' You got to have a free-mind quarterback."

The Kitna over Romo sits to pee scenario has received some offseason buzz in the wake of TE Martellus Bennett's comments in an April 5 radio interview with Dallas FM radio station KESN 103.3 about "hoping for the chance" of a quarterback battle.

Yup. As Redskins fans, we are in very good shape as long as Romo sits to pee stays at QB. He is the type of guy who will find a way to beat himself no matter what situation he is in.

in 8 games VS his rival, those pesky hard charging Skins....Romo sits to pee is 171-270 (63%) 1887 yds 13 TD and 7 INT ....I dont know how he could ever beat the Skins..............

I have no idea how Romo sits to pee can possibly win any games at all as a starting QB.....I mean he has absolutely NO TALENT around him.....a horrendous OL and over rated skill players.....and the worst Def in the NFL. Can we say 0-16????

I have no idea how Romo sits to pee can possibly win any games at all as a starting QB.... Can we say 0-16????

0-16's harsh. Even we know he's not THAT bad.

But then if you take into account his 7-10 December record; and 1-3 playoff record, with that 1 win coming in the WC round; maybe it's not in relation. Dude wrote the book on choking when it REALLY matters. But you can always take heart in his record against the 'Skins when it often doesn't. ;).

Hail.

in 8 games VS his rival, those pesky hard charging Skins....Romo sits to pee is 171-270 (63%) 1887 yds 13 TD and 7 INT ....I dont know how he could ever beat the Skins..............

What a shame that he can't play the Redskins every game of his career. Maybe he'd actually win something.

What a shame that he can't play the Redskins every game of his career. Maybe he'd actually win something.

tough crowd....

Maybe Tony Romo sits to pee should just retire...just hang it up for good.....I mean.......good hell after a partial first season starting in the NFL (10 games) 3 full season and a injury shortened season (6 starts) he has put together a Incredible swing of 61 total starts in his career and has no SB Title to show for it. What a total loser......I mean Every QB in the NFL has a ring after 61 starts............especially ones that have the incredible talent around them.........like Tony does.........

Makes me wonder.......is every other QB held to such standards of greatness?

tough crowd....

Maybe Tony Romo sits to pee should just retire...just hang it up for good.....I mean.......good hell after a partial first season starting in the NFL (10 games) 3 full season and a injury shortened season (6 starts) he has put together a Incredible swing of 61 total starts in his career and has no SB Title to show for it. What a total loser......I mean Every QB in the NFL has a ring after 61 starts............especially ones that have the incredible talent around them.........like Tony does.........

well by the age of 31 - 32 a good QB probably has 1 or 2... just saying

well by the age of 31 - 32 a good QB probably has 1 or 2... just saying

oh god......more nonsense. Are you freaking kidding me. Why dont you count up all the QB's with Rings in the past 20 years. Make a list go ahead.......and tell me please how they fared in their first 61 starts........

this post is part of what makes me scratch my head about people.......

oh god......more nonsense. Are you freaking kidding me. Why dont you count up all the QB's with Rings in the past 20 years. Make a list go ahead.......and tell me please how they fared in their first 61 starts........

this post is part of what makes me scratch my head about people.......

well to be honest with you, he started much later in life than most other qb's so his age is coming into play now. I don't disagree that 61 starts isn't some sort of bench mark, but his age sure is because he has already shown signs of breaking down.

in 8 games VS his rival, those pesky hard charging Skins....Romo sits to pee is 171-270 (63%) 1887 yds 13 TD and 7 INT ....

...and is 4-4 against them. In three of those seasons the Skins went 5-11, 4-12 and 6-10. Romo sits to pee could only manage two wins against those squads.

By all means, let's not criticize Romo sits to pee lest we all look like jealous fools.

footballdoink.gif

:D

I dont know how he could ever beat the Skins..............

He barely has :ols:...28-23, 14-10, 7-6...

I have no idea how Romo sits to pee can possibly win any games at all as a starting QB.....I mean he has absolutely NO TALENT around him.....a horrendous OL and over rated skill players.....and the worst Def in the NFL. Can we say 0-16????

It's funny, but about 6 months ago a helluva lot of Dallas fans were saying just that. ;)

Please, is it necessary to hijack every thread into a discussion of the Skins?

Romo sits to pee does some heavy sucking without any help from the Skins...;)

BTW, 0-16 isn't outside the realm of possibility with that puke team.

As with everything that Romo sits to pee does his numbers look great, the results, not so much. Redskins' record since Romo sits to pee got the job, 28-44 in games not involving Dallas. Romo sits to pee's record against the Skins - 4-4. That's Romo sits to pee in a nutshell. But hey, his passing numbers look AWESOME!!!!!

tough crowd....

LOL. Romo sits to pee is 31. He's been an NFL player for 8 years. In all likelihood, most of his professional football career is already behind him. How long can Cowboys' fans continue to use experience as an excuse for Romo sits to pee? Are you still going to be talking about how young he is when he's retired in a few more seasons?

Please, is it necessary to hijack every thread into a discussion of the Skins?

Romo sits to pee does some heavy sucking without any help from the Skins...;)

BTW, 0-16 isn't outside the realm of possibility with that puke team.

Yup. As Redskins fans, we are in very good shape as long as Romo sits to pee stays at QB. He is the type of guy who will find a way to beat himself no matter what situation he is in.

you are addressing the wrong person here Tr1. Talk to the one that indeed brought the Skins into it. I just responded to it.

---------- Post added April-26th-2011 at 09:04 AM ----------

LOL. Romo sits to pee is 31. He's been an NFL player for 8 years. In all likelihood, most of his professional football career is already behind him. How long can Cowboys' fans continue to use experience as an excuse for Romo sits to pee? Are you still going to be talking about how young he is when he's retired in a few more seasons?

I am certainly not using it as an excuse, indeed he is 31, but has not been on the field and does not have the wear and tear of a 31 year old, now does he? I would like to think that Romo sits to pee has another 7-8 season in him....with another 5-6 that are at this level or even better.

If he was 31 and had about 6-7 seasons and somewhere between 90-100 starts then indeed it would be a different story. Romo sits to pee is far from a rookie and the Cowboys definitely need to start planning for life without him...in the next 2-3 years, but he is far from "over the hill" as well. 61 starts is roughly less then 4 full NFL seasons.

For the record...I dont see Romo sits to pee EVER getting a ring in his career...but i dont blame that strictly and solely on him, nor do i think that makes him less of a player.......he is a solid Starter in this game and lost of teams would love to have him!

you are addressing the wrong person here Tr1. Talk to the one that indeed brought the Skins into it. I just responded to it.

---------- Post added April-26th-2011 at 09:04 AM ----------

I am certainly not using it as an excuse, indeed he is 31, but has not been on the field and does not have the wear and tear of a 31 year old, now does he? I would like to think that Romo sits to pee has another 7-8 season in him....with another 5-6 that are at this level or even better.

If he was 31 and had about 6-7 seasons and somewhere between 90-100 starts then indeed it would be a different story. Romo sits to pee is far from a rookie and the Cowboys definitely need to start planning for life without him...in the next 2-3 years, but he is far from "over the hill" as well. 61 starts is roughly less then 4 full NFL seasons.

For the record...I dont see Romo sits to pee EVER getting a ring in his career...but i dont blame that strictly and solely on him, nor do i think that makes him less of a player.......he is a solid Starter in this game and lost of teams would love to have him!

so if he is never going to get a ring in his career why not start planning for life without him now? would it make a difference to you as a poke fan if he went 16-0 every year to close out his career and never get a ring as opposed to going 0-16 every year to close out his career and never got a ring? either way, wouldn't it just be a smart move to start grooming another qb if you knew the one you currently have would never amount to anything?

so if he is never going to get a ring in his career why not start planning for life without him now? would it make a difference to you as a poke fan if he went 16-0 every year to close out his career and never get a ring as opposed to going 0-16 every year to close out his career and never got a ring? either way, wouldn't it just be a smart move to start grooming another qb if you knew the one you currently have would never amount to anything?

stupid question...and if they go 16-0 every year then they would certainly win some titles......

And there is planning to be done, that me and you are not privy too Tweedy dee.......The fact is, by far MOST QB's do not win a ring. There is a good chance Phillip Rivers never wins a title, but the Chargers damn sure wont just cut the ties with him...I am sure in JJ's eyes and Garrett's eyes....and Stephen Jones's eyes....Tony Romo sits to pee has a very good shot at leading the team to a SB.

I was giving "my opinion" on it and the fact of the matter is, only one team can win a SB each year....there will be 7 SB champions between now and the time Romo sits to pee is 38....which is an age (in my mind) that he would be done being competitive.........and/or playing at a championship level. that bveing said, do you really thing out of those 7...the Steelers, Patriots, Colts, Ravens, Packers, Jets, Saints, Giants...wont all be winning titles and/or playing for more then 1?

The Cowboys just arent on that level right now, nor do they have the kind of roster (at the moment) that lends anyone to think they are on the "verge".......

But again, thats just my opinion........The Cowboys brass may feel otherwise.....

And to that end, I would not get rid of Romo sits to pee....what or who out there is better then Romo sits to pee for the Cowboys in the CURRENT situation...and please dont say Kitna.........

stupid question...and if they go 16-0 every year then they would certainly win some titles......

And there is planning to be done, that me and you are not privy too Tweedy dee.......The fact is, by far MOST QB's do not win a ring. There is a good chance Phillip Rivers never wins a title, but the Chargers damn sure wont just cut the ties with him...I am sure in JJ's eyes and Garrett's eyes....and Stephen Jones's eyes....Tony Romo sits to pee has a very good shot at leading the team to a SB.

I was giving "my opinion" on it and the fact of the matter is, only one team can win a SB each year....there will be 7 SB champions between now and the time Romo sits to pee is 38....which is an age (in my mind) that he would be done being competitive.........and/or playing at a championship level. that bveing said, do you really thing out of those 7...the Steelers, Patriots, Colts, Ravens, Packers, Jets, Saints, Giants...wont all be winning titles and/or playing for more then 1?

The Cowboys just arent on that level right now, nor do they have the kind of roster (at the moment) that lends anyone to think they are on the "verge".......

But again, thats just my opinion........The Cowboys brass may feel otherwise.....

And to that end, I would not get rid of Romo sits to pee....what or who out there is better then Romo sits to pee for the Cowboys in the CURRENT situation...and please dont say Kitna.........

Don't worry...Romo sits to pee just needs help around him, that's all. I mean, he did have the "most talented team in the NFL/13 Pro Bowlers" surrounding him there for awhile and he achieved squat...but I'm sure Jerruh is hard at work assembling an even MORE talented team that the Most Talented Team in the NFL/13 Pro Bowlers squad. Because apparently that's what Romo sits to pee needs around him in order to get a win in the divisional round of the playoffs. :yes:

Don't worry...Romo sits to pee just needs help around him, that's all. I mean, he did have the "most talented team in the NFL/13 Pro Bowlers" surrounding him there for awhile and he achieved squat...but I'm sure Jerruh is hard at work assembling an even MORE talented team that the Most Talented Team in the NFL/13 Pro Bowlers squad. Because apparently that's what Romo sits to pee needs around him in order to get a win in the divisional round of the playoffs. :yes:

me....you (and even tweedy-dee) knows that 13 pro bowls does NOT equal.....most talented team. especially when those pro bowlers are Dallas ...where they have a trillion moronic fans voting for every player on the roster.....

lol, if you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a question

dodgeball.png

me....you (and even tweedy-dee) knows that 13 pro bowls does NOT equal.....most talented team. especially when those pro bowlers are Dallas ...where they have a trillion moronic fans voting for every player on the roster.....

Hmm...then why was the media going on and on about the Cowboys having "13 Pro Bowlers" and calling them the "most talented team in the NFL"?...Why was ESPN, during the 2008 preseason, ranking every stinking unit of the Dallas Cowboys in the top 10 in the league, with most of those Dallas units ranked in the top 5? Hell, even the secondary was proclaimed to be "Second to none"...and why were so many Cowboys fans gleefully telling us Skins fans over the last several offseasons that the Cowboys were returning all (or damn near all) of its starters? If there has been a dearth of talent surrounding Romo sits to pee, to the point of hindering him from having any real chance of postseason success, why would returning those same starters be seen as a GOOD thing all these years in the eyes of Cowboys fans?

Hmm...then why was the media going on and on about the Cowboys having "13 Pro Bowlers" and calling them the "most talented team in the NFL"?...Why was ESPN, during the 2008 preseason, ranking every stinking unit of the Dallas Cowboys in the top 10 in the league, with most of those Dallas units ranked in the top 5? Hell, even the secondary was proclaimed to be "Second to none"...and why were so many Cowboys fans gleefully telling us Skins fans over the last several offseasons that the Cowboys were returning all (or damn near all) of its starters? If there has been a dearth of talent surrounding Romo sits to pee, to the point of hindering him from having any real chance of postseason success, why would returning those same starters be seen as a GOOD thing all these years in the eyes of Cowboys fans?

duh! if you haven't learned anything over the past few years you should at least know that poke fans believe their backups are just as good IF NOT BETTER than their starters, remember last year when they got rid of canty...pffffft, who cares, we have hatcher and bowen!!! they are pro bowlers for sure!

Hmm...then why was the media going on and on about the Cowboys having "13 Pro Bowlers" and calling them the "most talented team in the NFL"?...

Good question.....one in which I do not have an acceptable answer for either......and nor can i/will i speak for the media.

Why was ESPN, during the 2008 preseason, ranking every stinking unit of the Dallas Cowboys in the top 10 in the league, with most of those Dallas units ranked in the top 5? Hell, even the secondary was proclaimed to be "Second to none"...

again....I dont know. I do know that I thought they had a better then average secondary, and some youth that could make them great within years to come....both things of which i was wrong about.

and why were so many Cowboys fans gleefully telling us Skins fans over the last several offseasons that the Cowboys were returning all (or damn near all) of its starters?

I wont try and speak for all Dallas Cowboy fans, but for myself i will say this. Continuity is usually good in the NFL....and for Dallas the last few years leading up to this last disaster, they were headed completely in the right direction.......went from a 13-3 season which ended at the hands of one the hottest teams in the NFL's recent memory....no one can argue how hot and how good that Giants team was down the stretch and in the playoffs...not just beating Dallas but also beating a team that was 1 game away from being named the GREATEST TEAM IN NFL HISTORY.After that they went to a playoffs again and finally won a playoff game.....so therefore they "looked the part" of a team headed in the right direction. Some will say that the big ole ball coach in Dallas was too relaxed and allowed them to start believing that they were better then everyone else, and that lead to the ultimate downfall of the team that felt "entitled" to wins........very similar to the Early 90's Cowboys that played that way and thought that way...the only difference was that the 90's Cowboys also PRACTICED AND PREPARED THAT WAY TOO!!!!!

X's and O's wise, the big ole Ball coach is one of NFL's best. The m,an really knows a lot, i think we can all admit now, that a head coach he is NOT!

If there has been a dearth of talent surrounding Romo sits to pee, to the point of hindering him from having any real chance of postseason success, why would returning those same starters be seen as a GOOD thing all these years in the eyes of Cowboys fans?

I do not think he is and/or was hindered. He fits the mold of what the rest of the team is as well....He is a perfect fit to the rest of the team. They are a really good team with some real major holes in spots where "great" teams do not have holes....OL is a glaring spot as is the defensive secondary.....you cannot and will not win with less then average talent at those two spots.......

All I am saying and tried to say is that Tony Romo sits to pee is a very good QB, yet he is not surrounded with the talent that it takes to win the big one....nor is he "yet" made up of the QB cloth of what it takes to "win the big one".

Will he ever be??? Who knows, Like i said before, I have my doubts. I love the man and think he is the best QB Dallas has had since Aikman (not saying alot) and I think that he works hard.,...i think he does what it takes....and if....IF he can pull down his emotions and platy at a more "natural" level and not so up and down.....then yes he most definitely could in the next 6-7 years walk away from this game with a ring. Something not many QB"s get to do. WAYYYY MORE QB's dont do........then QB's do.........

I hope i made a good enough effort to explain my point and answer your questions.

Archived