Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Miracle of Patrick the Dog

Koolblue13

http://www.facebook.com/HelpPatricksPals

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Animal-Rights-Awareness/212780092080952

http://www.facebook.com/AnimalsMatterToo

I was wondering if anybody else has been following the miraculous story of Patrick the Dog on Facebook. I know I've been pretty damn preachy and sensitive about animal abuse as of late and this is a major reason why.

On St. Patricks day (hence the name) a dog was found, that had been starved for weeks, stuffed into a trash bag and dropped 19 stories by his owner. The dog lived and since then, it has sparked a real movement in animal rights. I've been following it closely and sending lots of mail, faxes and emails in support.

The is a movement to end kill shelters and the financial support has saved a ton of sick, injured and abused dogs. On FB, there has become an enormous amount of connecting different organizations, rescues, shelters and random people to make this happen. There has been legistlature being written to make animal abuse a national felony and more.

The first link is a good starting point to see what's happening. The other two are good, if you feel like knowing what is going on in your country and how we are treating our beloved companions.

Things are changing for domestic pets and it has had a turbo kick in the ass since St Paddys day and it's been both heartbreaking and exciting to be a part of. Pay attention to the movement if you would like. I'm just throwing it out there for you.

The animal abuse - felony charge would be a great step in the right direction, as long as it has actual teeth and public consequences.

I agree. When you can starve numerous dogs to death and only get probation and not be allowed to own a dog for 2 1/2 years, with a fine, it's not much of a deterrent.

Another great thing they are doing, is setting up a national data base of animal abusers, similar to the one for sex offenders. I'm not making the leap to say it's close to the same thing, but the FBI says serial killers are likely to have been animal abusers and a home with animal abuse is 70% likely to have domestic abuse, it would make for a good warning sign for people.

And I don't know if it's Paddys/Pattys/Patrick. Whatever.

Another great thing they are doing, is setting up a national data base of animal abusers, similar to the one for sex offenders. I'm not making the leap to say it's close to the same thing, but the FBI says serial killers are likely to have been animal abusers and a home with animal abuse is 70% likely to have domestic abuse, it would make for a good warning sign for people.

I like this. If your dog mysteriously disappears from your back yard, just round up all the locals on the list and question all of them. Actually wait, if a kid disappears, do police consult the local sex offender registry and question them just because they're in proximity, or is that a violation of their rights?

I like this. If your dog mysteriously disappears from your back yard, just round up all the locals on the list and question all of them. Actually wait, if a kid disappears, do police consult the local sex offender registry and question them just because they're in proximity, or is that a violation of their rights?

That's not what I'm saying, nor would it be used like that.

You're renting an apartment over your garage. Want to know if you kid or pet is safe?

my friend and i found a dog wandering in a nearby neighborhood about 2 years ago. he had an ordinary 6 foot or so rope tied around its neck, dragging most of it behind him. when i went to look for a collar or tag, i saw the rope was embedded in his neck. the dog had a 2 or 3 inch open wound all the way thru his skin- literally a hole in his neck- from the rope. apparently, he's been pulling for quite some time trying to get away from his home. he'd clearly been neglected, his hair (****er spaniel) was all matted and dreaded, he was really smelly and didnt look too good.

we immediately stopped the work we were doing and took him to the nearest animal hospital. they took care of him. to make a long story short, my friend adopted him. great dog. to see the difference from when we found him to just 2 days later when he was healing was amazing. they called him 'happy' cuz if his turnaround.

the dog had a chip in his shoulder. the cops charged the owner. i went to court but the cowardly owner didnt show. he got a $500 fine. too lenient, imo, but what are you gonna do.

Continue to educate people on the harms of animal abuse. A lot of people get dogs and then just leave them tied up in the yard, not realizing that the animal can strangle itself. It's neglect and it's a shame.

That is one of the great things about the Patrick Miracle. It's bringing people together and sharing a ton of info. A difference is finally going to be made.

My wife and i were looking to get a dog so we started looking at shelters but the problem is we saw a siberian husky we wanted to look at and they said that we needed to have had at least one large dog in the past, we needed to have a fenced in yard and they were going to come to my house and check it with a tape measure to make sure it was tall enough.

Now i can understand the desire to make sure the family has appropriate means for the animal but if you make it too much of a pain in the a#s people are going to look elsewhere like i did.

why dont they just make sure you have a home and seem like responsible adults. I think they would get a lot more people adopting if they didnt scrutinize quite as much.

My wife and i were looking to get a dog so we started looking at shelters but the problem is we saw a siberian husky we wanted to look at and they said that we needed to have had at least one large dog in the past, we needed to have a fenced in yard and they were going to come to my house and check it with a tape measure to make sure it was tall enough.

Now i can understand the desire to make sure the family has appropriate means for the animal but if you make it too much of a pain in the a#s people are going to look elsewhere like i did.

why dont they just make sure you have a home and seem like responsible adults. I think they would get a lot more people adopting if they didnt scrutinize quite as much.

There is a reason why the more responsible rescues are like that. For example, the question about having owned a large dog in the past - there are people who adopt a big dog (personally I do not consider a husky a big dog, but whatever), get home, and discover they are not up to the costs of feeding, providing vet care, etc. that a big dog requires. Or they get a big dog as a puppy and are completely unprepared for how big it will get. End result is that the dog ends up back in a shelter or rescue.

I do not know that particular rescue's reasons for their questions, but I have spoken with indviduals who work at rescues which have the fence requirements. The reasons I was told included having dogs they adopted out get picked up by animal control while wandering loose (escaped), and to avoid a situation in which the dog might be chained in a yard due to not having a fence or having one that would not act as containment. Some rescues are very picky about fences and such based on the breed of the dog and wanting to make sure the situation was appropriate in regards to the owner's ability to contain the dog on their property.

So it's not just because they like being nosey and want to annoy people. :)

I agree that a lot of the small private run or even some of the SPCAs do themselves a disservice.

Try a city rescue. They are much cheaper and don't have the time to check everything out because they are so overwhelmed.

Also, Huskys are an absolute handful of a dog. Smart as can be and need about 18 hours of hard play time a day. I would never get one if I didn't have a fenced in yard. A large one to boot.

I miss the Black chow in Richmond. He was hit by a car one day. He use to help people in danger and the community would feed him in return. There's a entire FB group dedicated to him

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=49670014424

The articles about him online are pretty good.

---------- Post added April-19th-2011 at 03:35 PM ----------

I looked at getting a Sheltie collie mix at one point for my chow to hang with. Those shelters are strict. I would like to eventually get a husky or collie to hang with him though.

As someone who owns 2 siberians there is a reason they do this. These dogs are clever as ****, VERY energetic and are rewnowned escape artists. They simply want to know you have the tools to handle him. Requiring that you've owned a large dog in the past is a little over the top but I will say, that's a very strong willed breed that isn't easy to keep discilplined so they have their reasons. Experience with something other than toy dogs or eager to please breeds isn't a bad idea.

There is a reason why the more responsible rescues are like that. For example, the question about having owned a large dog in the past - there are people who adopt a big dog (personally I do not consider a husky a big dog, but whatever), get home, and discover they are not up to the costs of feeding, providing vet care, etc. that a big dog requires. Or they get a big dog as a puppy and are completely unprepared for how big it will get. End result is that the dog ends up back in a shelter or rescue.

I do not know that particular rescue's reasons for their questions, but I have spoken with indviduals who work at rescues which have the fence requirements. The reasons I was told included having dogs they adopted out get picked up by animal control while wandering loose (escaped), and to avoid a situation in which the dog might be chained in a yard due to not having a fence or having one that would not act as containment. Some rescues are very picky about fences and such based on the breed of the dog and wanting to make sure the situation was appropriate in regards to the owner's ability to contain the dog on their property.

So it's not just because they like being nosey and want to annoy people. :)

as i said i understand there concern but its a catch 22. if they make people want to go to a breeder to get a dog and that dog ends up in a shelter now they have two dogs to deal with instead of one. If they would scrutinize less they could kill two birds with one stone. the animal could very well end up in a good home and they could reduce the population by reducing the number of people who went to breeders.

As the Director of Adoptions for a Basset Hound Rescue, I scrutinize every application.

We will not just adopt out any homeless hound to any person once they are approved but we try to match the right dog with the right applicant. If I know a hound has an issue with cats or kids then I am not going to place that hound with a family that has those things. If a hound is an escape artist I will not place him with a family without a fence or with a small fence. If a hound has separation anxiety I will not place him or her with someone who is gone a lot etc. It is a case by case situation. There might have been something in the Husky’s background that they were protecting both you and the dog from without disclosing.

I will say as a shelter or a rescue we now have to put statutes in place to protect ourselves and the animals we are trying to save. The ones you can thank for that are the stupid people in this world! I had an adopter threaten to sue me because I denied his application. It is very rare I deny an application. We try to educate and help resolve a situation then allow someone to adopt rather than flat out deny an application. Some people have just not received proper education on the breed or responsible pet ownership in general.

Having a pet is like taking on the responsibility of being a parent. Unless you're ready for that, don't have an animal, especially a dog! I'd love to have one myself, but I'm just not quite prepared. College students seem to be the worst with pets (from personal experiences). It's awful how many are mistreated or live in piss poor environments because they're essentially the responsibility of someone who can barely take care of themselves.

I was trying to spread the word about what's happening with social media and Patrick, but this works too I guess.

A lot of good things happen using social media to spread the word. I know BassetCARE has a Facebook page and my new favorite book of all time has a Facebook and twitter. (Homer's Odyssey)

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed

a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean.

Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?”

The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean.

The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.”

“Son,” the man said, “don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish?

You can’t make a difference!”

After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish,

and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said…”

I made a difference for that one.”

Archived