Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Marty Schottenheimer coaching in Virginia

Ron78

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

The problem with this new team is that it plays out in the middle of nowhere at the Sportsplex. Also, I hope they're playing their games on Thursdays or Sundays because if they play on Saturday they're going to lose possible fans to ODU Football.

The problem with this new team is that it plays out in the middle of nowhere at the Sportsplex. Also, I hope they're playing their games on Thursdays or Sundays because if they play on Saturday they're going to lose possible fans to ODU Football.

The league starts on Sundays in August and my understanding is that they will keep games on Sundays as long as there is a NFL lock out.

Hey Ron, I guess you are the one person that will be going to the games????

Ha! The games are expected to sell out since the Sportsplex isn't really that big. I don't know if I will be able to make a trip down to a game, but I would rather spend money on that then line Snyder's pockets with money.

I was planning on seeing them before Marty ball came to town. This is even better!

Some people like to bash Marty, but I guarantee you he is a hall of fame coach. He took 3 different franchises to the AFC Championship game 4 different times. No other head coach has built three different teams to accomplish that.

I really think firing Marty was one of Snyder's biggest mistakes.

Team Roster so far (No QB listed - hope they don't have to get Tony Banks):

http://www.ufl-football.com/virginia-destroyers/player-roster

Cheerleaders: :)

http://www.ufl-football.com/virginia-destroyers/cheerleaders/oursquad

I might go down there if the NFL is not playing...especially if there is a groupon deal or something like that.

The league has had group ticket rates in the past, so they may be doing it again. You can put your name down through the website to let them know you are interested in tickets.

Considering what a crap quarterback Tony Banks was, it was surprising the production Marty was able to get out of him. Banks is thankfully retired though. :)

Looks like Marty won't be the only one from the 2001 Redskins working with the Destroyers:

http://www.ufl-football.com/virginia-destroyers/cheerleaders/meetdirector

I think they are definitely trying to play into the Redskins fan base that already exists down there. I wouldn't be surprised if they made a play for Colt Brennan (assuming he has fully recovered from his injuries).

I think they are definitely trying to play into the Redskins fan base that already exists down there. I wouldn't be surprised if they made a play for Colt Brennan (assuming he has fully recovered from his injuries).

I am surprised at how few UVA / VT guys are on the roster. One of the things the USFL tried to do was have players from the local colleges play on the local USFL team. I think there was some type of regional based draft or something like that. I realize a lot this roster from the Florida team. I would love to see Colt or Hagans play QB for them, but Hagans is on the UVA coaching staff now.

I am surprised at how few UVA / VT guys are on the roster. One of the things the USFL tried to do was have players from the local colleges play on the local USFL team. I think there was some type of regional based draft or something like that. I realize a lot this roster from the Florida team. I would love to see Colt or Hagans play QB for them, but Hagans is on the UVA coaching staff now.

Ultimately, it is at the discretion of the head coach who is on the roster. The players have to mesh with the coaches' schemes. But, like you said, the roster you're seeing is primarily last year's group under the previous head coach Jay Gruden, when the team was in Florida. Many of those guys may not make Marty's team.

Chris Cooley tweeted something that insinuated Colt Brennan may have been signed by the Hartford UFL team under Jerry Glanville...

http://www.sportsbuzz.com/buzz/11538

Never been there. Is it a good venue? I heard the league is doing some renovations before the season.

Not really. It was built as a soccer stadium and has hosted high school football games through the years. They're going to have to put in thousands of temporary seating to meet the required seating standards of the UFL. They're basically slapping on a whole lot of cheap make-up on an ugly ass pig to qualify the Sportsplex as a football venue for a professional team.

• 1 month later...

2011 Schedule is out - Looks like they are avoiding going head to head vs. NFL lockout or not. They SHOULD have put the first game in Sept on a Sunday (Labor Day weekend) as the NFL is supposed to play the last round of preseason on Thurs/Fri and left Sunday wide open.

Anyways, I doubt I'll make either of the Friday home games.

2011 Virginia Destroyers schedule

Week 1 - Saturday, August 13 - HARTFORD

Week 2 - Sunday, August 21 - at Omaha

Week 3 - BYE

Week 4 - Friday, September 2 - OMAHA

Week 5 - Saturday, September 10 - at Sacramento

Week 6 - Sunday, September 18 - at Las Vegas

Week 7 - Saturday, September 24 - SACRAMENTO

Week 8 - BYE

Week 9 - Saturday, October 8 - at Hartford

Week 10 - Friday, October 14 - LAS VEGAS

http://www.ufl-football.com/news/destroyers-first-season-opens-closes-home