Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(March, 2011) Hey, Mike. You're Losing Me, Man.

Oldfan

Why? We are 1 year into Shannahan's tenure and the OP has decided that he does not like way Shannahan has handled the Skins or the 11 years he was in Denver. Point blank the OP is not happy with Shannahan's business model and the team is losing him because of it. There is no need to be Favre-esque about it. Be a fan or don't be a fan. I am not looking down on OldFan or questioning his fandom. He is questioning his own fandom. Why make a fuss about your own exit other than to be a drama queen. If he wanted to discuss the business model, why not start a thread saying that?

... Why make a fuss about your own exit other than to be a drama queen. If he wanted to discuss the business model, why not start a thread saying that?
I think you have proved that you are superior to me. That was your reason for posting , wasn't it?

I think you have proved that you are superior to me. That was your reason for posting , wasn't it?

No, I am not superior to you in any way. I am a fan, just like you, but I have not been a fan any where near as long as you. Why bring up drama about your waning fandom? Do you want others to have pity for you? What was the purpose?

I will be a Skins fan till the day i die, no if and or but's about that.. You are entitled to do what you want.
Damn, these people who need to feel superior come out of the woodwork on threads like this.

---------- Post added March-11th-2011 at 12:01 PM ----------

No, I am not superior to you in any way. I am a fan, just like you, but I have not been a fan any where near as long as you. Why bring up drama about your waning fandom? Do you want others to have pity for you? What was the purpose?
I feel no need whatsoever to justify my motives to you.

Damn, these people who need to feel superior come out of the woodwork on thread like this.

Whose feeling superior!? Im a positive person, and an optimist. You will continue to be a Skins fan no matter what happens in the future mark my words. But you are entitled to do what you want.

This a strawman that you continue to recite no matter how often I explain my position.

Please read the OP carefully. I am suggesting that Mike be more like George Allen and trade draft picks. Why would I do that if I felt his resume reflected George Allen's methods?

I guess i am a victim of my good memory. We've debated Shanny in i don't know probably at least 150 posts over 8 months or so. You have critiqued Shanny in the past on trading picks. you have made the point many times that you believe in building a team through the draft. Are you telling me you have a new perspective on this all and truly would want Shanny to trade picks? -- or is this thread just sarcasm designed to provoke responses? I took it as sarcasm since its inconsistent with things you've said in the past.

Edit: I more apt title I think would have been: Mike, you never had me and never will. You've been critical of him even before he got the job. Its sort of the reverse of Zorn and Vinny who you touted to no end until things really went south when they were at the end of their rope

Whose feeling superior!? Im a positive person, and an optimist. The OP will continue to be a skins fan no matter what happens in the future mark my words. But he is entitled to do what he chooses.
I was certain of far more things at 21 also.

I was certain of far more things at 21 also.

There are no ill feelings whatsoever. I wish i was able to see those great years that you've watched. My nostalgia is Gibbs 2, the two playoff runs. I respect all Skins fans especially those older then myself. All the best.

Basically you are saying that Shanny created TD. I agree to a point, coaches certainly can influence the careers of players. Fine. Still does not take away from my point that Shanny realized his biggest success with a HOF QB (which he inherited) and HOF RB. Outside of that he has shown to be a good coach, nothing more. He has 1 playoff win without Elway and TD in 13 seasons. You tell me.

I wouldn't say that Shanny created TD, but he certainly has an eye for getting the most out of certain players. To the point before about Elway...what did Elway ever do before Shanahan showed up? Yes he was a #1 overall pick in the draft, yeah they had gone to the playoffs before...but did they win a SB without Shanny while Elway was there? Nope.

Let's look at another Coach who has a good eye for player talent, as well as a little thing known as spygate...

"Cleveland Browns

From 1991 until 1995, Belichick was the head coach of the Cleveland Browns. During his tenure in Cleveland he compiled a 36–44 record, leading the team to the playoffs in 1994. In Belichick's last season in Cleveland the Browns finished 5–11. In November of that year Browns owner Art Modell announced he would move the team to Baltimore after the season. Belichick resigned early in February 1996."

Belicheat

So I pose the same question about Belichick...where would he be without Brady? What did he ever do before Brady...had the same type of success as Shanny as an assisstant coach.

I realize like anybody that Shanny has his faults, but I don't read the same type of self-absorption that some of you on here seem to think he exudes. If anything I take it as confidence mixed with some arrogance...just like fat, fat is not bad for you in moderation...I'd much rather have a HC who's confident with a slight twinge of arrogance than an "Apologetic Alan" who coaches with an air of spinelessness.

I guess i am a victim of my good memory. We've debated Shanny in i don't know probably at least 150 posts over 8 months or so. You have critiqued Shanny in the past on trading picks. you have made the point many times that you believe in building a team through the draft. Are you telling me you have a new perspective on this all and truly would want Shanny to trade picks? -- or is this thread just sarcasm designed to provoke responses? I took it as sarcasm since its inconsistent with things you've said in the past.
It's not sarcasm. The poster in Post #2 nailed my position.

I want the Skins to build a dynasty. I'm convinced that isn't going to happen as long as Dan Snyder owns the team. So, being practical, I'll settle for an intelligent win-now plan, one which includes trading picks for vets along with the other ideas I've listed.

There are no ill feelings whatsoever. I wish i was able to see those great years that you've watched. My nostalgia is Gibbs 2, the two playoff runs. I respect all Skins fans especially those older then myself. All the best.
No hard feeling here either, Amigo.

Yes he was a #1 overall pick in the draft, yeah they had gone to the playoffs before...but did they win a SB without Shanny while Elway was there?
Huh? Elway took 3 very bad teams to the SB and lost to 3 great ones. Any failure during Elway's tenure had more to do with the other 50 guys on the team.

Anyway, this thread is not about Elway. It's about Shanny's approach to the future. My knowledge of him as a coach, coupled with what I saw last year, give me doubts.

Hey shanny

You have been here for 1 year. Why cant you clean up a decades worth of neglect in one year? Why dont we have 3 championships with you yet?

You suck. I am over it.

In other words, you can't argue with what I said, so you create your own version that sounds stupid. That's only the 337th time that clever trick has been used in this forum this week.

---------- Post added March-11th-2011 at 12:28 PM ----------

Of what exactly? That the North would probably prevail in the War of Secession?
No, I was never sure about that.

Are you kidding me. The best teams in the NFL use both the draft and free agency. Just take a look at the Patriots and the Jets for gods sake and Oldfan, get off your high horse and be patient with Mike. He IS building the team the right way. Everyone makes mistakes along the way.

I'm all for being patient, but what exactly points to things being done "the right way" at this point? The handling of AH? The handling of D-Mac? The signing of a 30 year old safety? Just curious.

Huh? Elway took 3 very bad teams to the SB and lost to 3 great ones. Any failure during Elway's tenure had more to do with the other 50 guys on the team.

Anyway, this thread is not about Elway. It's about Shanny's approach to the future. My knowledge of him as a coach, coupled with what I saw last year, give me doubts.

Elway didn't take 3 very bad teams to the SB...very bad teams don't make the SB. When they played the games however, yes they were manhandled and outgunned. Elway's performances were lacking too...it wasn't like he avgd 300 yds and 3 td's per SB and they still lost.

Agreed, though that this thread isn't about Elway so enough of that. You are entitled to your opinion as well am I...so from my point of view, I'm not going to start doubting someone after 1 year here.

Not saying the exact thing will happen but I wonder what the Pats fans were saying after the 2000 season?

"The Patriots went 5-11 in the 2000 regular season and missed the playoffs. To date, this is Belichick's only losing season with the Patriots."

referenced from the link above "belicheat"

It's not sarcasm. The poster in Post #2 nailed my position.

I want the Skins to build a dynasty. I'm convinced that isn't going to happen as long as Dan Snyder owns the team. So, being practical, I'll settle for an intelligent win-now plan, one which includes trading picks for vets along with the other ideas I've listed.

OK, so its not how you'd want to do it, you just don't think Danny will have the patience to allow a coach to do a youth movement. Maybe. Still like I debated with you in another thread -- I rarely see any absolute pure rebuilds -- if its defined in terms of signing no veteran free agents. And yeah I don't think its a mixed bag if someone lets say for example engaged in a behavior 80% of the time, and 20% time doing something else. If instead of going on a strict diet where i lose 12 points, I go on a more basic diet where I lose 8 -- am not playing it in the middle, I am just not going about it in a totally hard core way.

I don't really see rebuilding projects happen in the strict diet sense. So yeah I don't mind riding this in more of a routine way, and no I don't think that translates to hedging your bets. If it does, then pretty much every team in the NFL hedges their bets. Last off season, shanny clearly hedged his bets. this off season I don't expect he will. In Denver he collected picks, and I expect him to do the same from here on. Here's an article from today where he flat out says he will do it that way: http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Shanahan_Hopes_to_Build_a_Draft_Bounty_193858.jsp

So yeah I don't think Shanny will fulfill your wish of trading picks.

Of course not. It was the drama you were after, and you got what you wanted. No justification necessary.
The title to this thread and the OP express exactly how I feel about this team right now. And, I don't give a rat's ass about your opinion. Are we clear, yet?

Archived