Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Living in San Diego over summer, need help figuring stuff out

Prosperity

I'm going to be spending this summer as a legal intern in San Diego. I don't have a car, and I need to live somewhere that is within a trolley commute of Downtown (where i'll be working) and University of San Diego (might take a class there). I'm thinking about Pacific Beach, and Mission Valley. Anybody have any ideas about where else I could live? Old Town? Downtown? I'm not very familiar with the area.

I moved away from San Diego about 7 years ago, but I don't think Pacific Beach of Mission Beach has trolley access to Downtown. It didn't when I was there, anyway. Regardless, those are two great places to live, especially for 23 year old.

Downtown is a great place to live now too though. No beach. Just ask yourself if you want to be on the beach or in the city.

Couple other places that are worth checking out are Ocean Beach (a little more grungy than the other two, but that can be good and bad), and also Point Loma. Mission Bay/Crowne Point is good too. Essentially right between mission beach and pacific beach. In someways Mission Bay is better than Mission Beach too.

Basically, San Diego is awesome and you won't go wrong. Just don't live too far east in the hills or the desert.

Honestly, downtown and mission beach are great if you can find a place without breaking the bank. But if you're looking for the best value, I would say Mission Valley hands down. They have 20-minute trolley access to everywhere in San Diego (downtown, mission beach, old town, college area) it's really easy and they have a lot stops around the Mission area. Plus you're next to the essentials like Wal-Mart, Target, Ikea, Lowes, the Malls (both mission and fashion), a lot of grocery stores, bunch of great restaurants, you couldn't really say the same about the Beach or Downtown. Even though PB and Downtown may have the night life, there are a boatload of great dive bars around the mission area as well.

Hope this helps

---------- Post added March-10th-2011 at 10:06 AM ----------

Also, I know the football season won't be going on but if you're in the Ocean Beach area try to stop by Winstons, the local Redskins Bar.

are there affordable (450,000-500,000) single family homes in San Diego proper? Or is everything 1,000,00+ or towhouse/condo?

it seems like you kind of have to go north a bit or to chula vista to find SF homes that aren't outrageous

poway seems like a pretty good option. there are SF homes there but you aren't that far away from everything going on at the beach

are there affordable (450,000-500,000) single family homes in San Diego proper? Or is everything 1,000,00+ or towhouse/condo?

it seems like you kind of have to go north a bit or to chula vista to find SF homes that aren't outrageous

poway seems like a pretty good option. there are SF homes there but you aren't that far away from everything going on at the beach

You can buy my friend's house that he paid 700K for 5 years ago. Probably worth 400K. With houses in that area dropping so fast and so far, I bet the rental market is killer.

I'm considering relocating to San Diego myself and have been doing quite a bit of research. Mission Valley always comes up, as goes North Park. PB and OB seem fun too.

Check out this forum - it's really helpful.

damn, the internet really does have everything

Downtown, hands down. Eye candy everywhere. Keep your head on a swivel. Two of my boys have condos downtown, awesome place.

If I can find a place under 900/month downtown but I'm starting to think that's doubtful

I'd rather be close to where I'll be working and have a short trip to the beach than live at the beach and have a short trip to my work

Archived