Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP" Bruce Allen leaves a fan a voice mail

adam@section118

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/

Earlier this week, I wrote about Jeremy and Brennan, two Redskins fans whose letter about their love of pounding on a FedEx Field sign earned them a hand-written response from Bruce Allen.

That prompted Adam to send me his own story of Allen's attentiveness. After the 2009-10 season, Adam sent a letter to Dan Snyder, talking about his horrible experience purchasing dream seats to the late-season Cowboys game: the bad sightlines, drunk fans, cold drinks, and so on. He included a check for a dollar and an offer to buy the franchise. Allen responded to the letter, apologizing for the poor game-day experience and thanking Adam for his fandom.

This past season, there were more issues that bothered Adam, and so he composed a lengthy e-mail about the game-day experience, figured out Allen's e-mail address, and sent off his missive before the season had ended. It was the usual stuff: offer hot beverages when it's cold out, keep out-of-control fans in line, hire a second cartoon artist at the tailgate club instead of closing down the station due to long lines. Less than 24 hours after he sent the message, Bruce Allen called, and left the above voice mail.

"A small gesture, but still a very cool one," as Adam put it in his note to me. "The man is about as good as they come when it comes to public relations."

I'd have to agree. Also, hard to imagine Vinny Cerrato pulling this one off.

To repeat: more of stuff like this, please, and fewer lawsuits.

Very cool to see this in print

He called me last off season after the McNabb trade and we talked for a while. He's an extra nice guy and I was thrilled that he took the time to call a fan like myself. It made me feel like the management in this organization is finally starting to understand and feel the importance of our history and fans.

What did the voicemail say?

He called me last off season after the McNabb trade and we talked for a while. He's an extra nice guy and I was thrilled that he took the time to call a fan like myself. It made me feel like the management in this organization is finally starting to understand and feel the importance of our history and fans.

What did the voicemail say?

It's in the link. Cool to hear.

This is all more of the same from "Puppet-Master" Snyder. He's still pulling all of the strings at Redskins Park, don't kid yourselves, Bruce Allen is just a figurehead to make it seem like things have change. This is all just another ploy for Snyder to grind more money out of us, next thing you know they'll start implementing fan's suggestions because it gets more fans in the seats! Snyder must think we're dumb.

This is all more of the same from "Puppet-Master" Snyder. He's still pulling all of the strings at Redskins Park, don't kid yourselves, Bruce Allen is just a figurehead to make it seem like things have change. This is all just another ploy for Snyder to grind more money out of us, next thing you know they'll start implementing fan's suggestions because it gets more fans in the seats! Snyder must think we're dumb.

Yeah screw Snyder if he starts implementing things to make going to the game great and easier to go to just so I keep spending my money at FedEx I'm DONE!!!!! I aint takin it.

As I said in the other thread, I like the idea of Bruce being a good guy, but I hope he's not really devoting much time to us piss ant fans. I want him focused on acquiring player personnel, not shaking hands and posing for pics with suite holders and club seat clientele.

No more meet and greet seminars!

Yeah screw Snyder if he starts implementing things to make going to the game great and easier to go to just so I keep spending my money at FedEx I'm DONE!!!!! I aint takin it.

LOL. It really sucks that Snyder is faking us all out by doing things that improve our experience. No matter how much fun I have at games from now on I won't be fooled.

As I said in the other thread, I like the idea of Bruce being a good guy, but I hope he's not really devoting much time to us piss ant fans. I want him focused on acquiring player personnel, not shaking hands and posing for pics with suite holders and club seat clientele.

No more meet and greet seminars!

Bruce Allen probably makes more in a day then I make all year. No way could I afford suite (or club) seats.

The meet and greets are probably dont at the request of the sales dept (porbably trying to sell premium seats)

Well no kidding it's to sell seats. But what are these seminars doing to better our football team?

Well good customer service may not change the product on the field, but it does a whole hell of a lot to instill good will and loyalty in the fanbase. I'm sure the times we see him meeting with fans, or contacting fans regarding their concerns are a very small portion of what he does in a day, week, or month for that matter.

Well good customer service may not change the product on the field, but it does a whole hell of a lot to instill good will and loyalty in the fanbase. I'm sure the times we see him meeting with fans, or contacting fans regarding their concerns are a very small portion of what he does in a day, week, or month for that matter.

Right, it's the exact opposite of suing grandmothers and trying to drive small newspapers out of business.

Bruce Allen is not the team on the field, but good PR makes a difference, just like bad PR does.

I don't remember the last time the Redskins had more good PR than bad. I also don't remember the last time the Redskins were consistiently good. I think they have something to with each other. When everyone - the fans, media, the league - think this organization is a joke, it hurts the ability of this team to compete.

We need more good PR like this. Sadly, it's going to be an uphill battle as long as Snyder is being Snyder.

What Allen is doing for the image of the team is the opposite of Dan Snyder. That's what a lot of us expected when he was hired. He reached out to Alumni unlike Vinny. He tried to go back to the roots of the Skins.

If Snyder kept his mouth shut this offseason and this happened, I think that far majority would be feeling a lot better overall about the future of the franchise.

However, that didn't happen. A lawsuit that Mr. Snyder will probably lose is happening, and will overshadow the good that Bruce Allen has been trying to do.

Still, this was a good story.

Very cool. Got any followup calls, like Allen said?

"Thank you for your support. And always always give us suggestions." - very classy, Mr. Allen!

:applause:

I never did hear back from anyone, and if there was one downside to this story that would be it.

To be fair, I never called back or followed up with anyone. I kind of figured they were tired of me, and I am quite sure I am not the only one who complained.

Archived