Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

National Football Post 1st round Mock Draft: I like who they have the Skins selecting!

skinsfanjoe

I'm surprised so many in here actually consider re-signing Jammal Brown a legitimate option at RT. The man will be 31 years old next year and he's been hurt for the past three years. Extending Jammal Brown and praying he'll hold out for the duration of his contract is the Vinny Cerrato plan.

I'm also surprised that people are content to call it a day on rebuilding our offensive line after spending a single high draft pick on Trent Williams. Don't you all remember that we have had one of the worst lines in the league the past two years? There are four unsettled spots left to find answers at. We're not going to find all of those guys in free agency or combing through the bargain bins during the draft. Offensive tackles are expensive because good ones are very difficult to find.

Tyron Smith is a special talent and I think he'll be even better than Trent in some ways. I'd love to take an offensive tackle with Probowl upside at 10! That's terrific draft value! I don't care if he plays on the left or the right side, both are extremely important and OT is a money position.

---------- Post added February-11th-2011 at 07:33 PM ----------

IMHO- If Gabbert is gone, then I would go DE/LB

EDIT: Which ones though? There aren't a lot of DE/LBs that I would rank ahead of Tyron Smith.

Saffold was a 2nd round pick. Brown was a FA. Jason Smith could rightly be considered a BUST because he was a top 3 pick at LT.

The point wasn't where they were drafted or how they were acquired the point is that they are members of a solid OL that is the key to the Rams offensive success.

(-btw just because a player switches sides doesn't make them a bust; often RT are drafted and started at LT and them move to LT for example the Ravens have considered moving Oher to RT but they don't consider him a bust)

I think I'm on board with a lot of other people here in saying that we need OL help but #10 is to high of a pick if it isn't a stud LT. Lets fill some other spots with #10 and help out the OL later in the draft of through FA. Just my thoughts but I guess that's why I don't run a pro football team.

Only offensive linemen worthy of a top ten pick are left tackles. This would be a waste of such a high pick. And passing on Dareus would indeed be lunacy.

By the way, this mock is crazy. There is no way. No way Prince Amukamara falls that far and is the third CB off the board.

Can someone explain to me what's wrong about selecting a right tackle in the first round?

smh. Because we have a list of needs. These list of needs are ranked. RT is about 10th on our list of needs. Before RT...we need a Center, a left guard, a right guard, a nose tackle, a right defensive end, a free safety, a Quarter Back, and a outside rushing LB. Not sure why we would spend a 1st round draft pick on something that is #10 on our list of needs.

plus....we have a RT in Jammal Brown already....there is a young RT in free agency (that Shanahan drafted) that would be perfect for our system....we have a RT on our practice squad named Selvish Capers and he has alot of potential.

Not only that...but there are no offensive linemen that deserve to be taken in the first 20 picks this year. We have the last ranked defense in the league and this draft is loaded with defensive linemen that would fit our 3-4 system....but you would spend the 1st round pick on a RT? Seriously??

smh. Because we have a list of needs. These list of needs are ranked. RT is about 10th on our list of needs. Before RT...we need a Center, a left guard, a right guard, a nose tackle, a right defensive end, a free safety, a Quarter Back, and a outside rushing LB. Not sure why we would spend a 1st round draft pick on something that is #10 on our list of needs.
Why do you think RT is tenth on our list of needs?
plus....we have a RT in Jammal Brown already....there is a young RT in free agency (that Shanahan drafted) that would be perfect for our system....we have a RT on our practice squad named Selvish Capers and he has alot of potential.
Why is Jammal Brown a good solution at RT?

Why do you consider Ryan Harris a solution? If he's such a good young starter, why would the Broncos let him walk? Do you think it's likely we'll sign him? Do you think there will even be a free agency period this offseason?

Why do you think Selvish Capers could be a solution? Are you sure he's even being considered as a potential starter at RT?

Not only that...but there are no offensive linemen that deserve to be taken in the first 20 picks this year. We have the last ranked defense in the league and this draft is loaded with defensive linemen that would fit our 3-4 system....but you would spend the 1st round pick on a RT? Seriously??

Why do you think no offensive linemen deserve to be taken in the first 20 picks this year?

To answer your question, I would absolutely spend a first round pick on a right tackle if he was a good prospect. I happen to think Tyron Smith is a dominant prospect who could be an impact player at the next level. If he's not going to be available to us at 41 and I really wanted him, why wouldn't I take him at 10?

Now Ryan Harris? I don't know. Who knows if we'll be able to sign FAs this year? And I thought he was an RFA anyway.

I don't believe he is. Regardless, all indications are that he's going to be leaving Denver this offseason. The situation in Denver with McDaniels was all but a complete disaster for Harris and John Elway himself has apparently made remarks indicating that he expects the team to have to find a replacement at RT. I would actually be shocked if he didn't at least visit with us if we have any doubts whatsoever about Jammal Brown.

Does anyone here think Willie Anderson was a bust or a reach? He was selected 10th overall and played RT his entire career.

---------- Post added February-12th-2011 at 02:13 AM ----------

I don't believe he is. Regardless, all indications are that he's going to be leaving Denver this offseason. The situation in Denver with McDaniels was all but a complete disaster for Harris and John Elway himself has apparently made remarks indicating that he expects the team to have to find a replacement at RT. I would actually be shocked if he didn't at least visit with us if we have any doubts whatsoever about Jammal Brown.

Interesting, but I'm still skeptical they'll let him walk for nothing if he's still a good player in his prime. I'm also skeptical we'll get a FA period before the draft. I don't feel good about leaving our fortunes at RT up to FA when there are so many risks we'd have to take.

I also don't see how we can't have doubts about Jammal Brown at this point. He doesn't deserve a long term contract as he's turning 31 and has had injury problems. Also, he just wasn't a very good player last year and the swapping around with Stephon Heyer pretty much confirmed that for me. I think his best case scenario is as a mediocre bandaid for a season or two before we have to address the position anyway.

Tyron Smith isn't the number 1 player on my board but at 10, we could honestly do a lot worse than an ultra-athletic, dominant offensive tackle with a great frame, who just turned 20 years old two months ago ,and who could come in and start from day one and be one of our best offensive players.

I'm surprised so many people value RTs so much lower than they do LTs. I'm surprised people would actually be disappointed about getting a stud RT at 10 given that it looks like we hit a homerun on an OT pick last year in the first. Trent became an immediate impact presence at LT and it looks like he'll be one of the cornerstones of the offense moving forward. I think Smith will bring that exact same effect to the right tackle position.

You can build an entire offense from brilliant offensive line play.

Can someone explain to me what's wrong about selecting a right tackle in the first round?

There's nothing wrong with taking a RT in the first, nothing at all.

There's something wrong with taking Tyron Smith before:

Gabbert

Miller

Quin

Fairley

Dareus

Watt

Green

Julio

Peterson

Amukamara

IMO.

There's nothing wrong with taking a RT in the first, nothing at all.

There's something wrong with taking Tyron Smith before:

Gabbert

Miller

Quin

Fairley

Dareus

Watt

Green

Julio

Peterson

Amukamara

IMO.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. I made a big board a week or two ago and I think I ranked all of those guys ahead of Smith. But if you look at their mock draft, the only guys on that list that were still on the board when we picked were Jones, Watt, Dareus, and Amukamara. I can see arguments for and against each of those players being taken ahead of Smith for our organization specifically.

For Dareus:

- Ostensibly huge need for impact talent on the DL

- Dareus is a smart, instinctive player who was a standout DE in a college 3-4 defense

- Good length and quickness, strong anchor against the run

Against Dareus:

- might have somewhat limited upside for improvement despite his lack of starting experience because his frame is about maxed out and he's not an elite athlete

- sloppy body

- is he a playmaker, particularly as a passrusher?

For Watt:

- Seemingly dominant pass rusher with superior quickness and power

- Blue collar worker with great attitude

- Again, we could use an upgrade to the DL

Against Watt:

- Will have a transition period to the 3-4 scheme

- Used to playing in a penetrating one gap scheme, will have to expand his repertoire

For Amukamara:

- very gifted tackler and run defender

- solid all around skillset

- instinctive

- good ball skills

- above average frame and athleticism

Against Amukamara:

- used to playing man coverage, how will he take to playing off zone so heavily?

- not an elite athlete

- struggles with physical receivers on the line

For Julio Jones:

- excellent all around talent

- exceptional size/speed package

- productive. tough (played through injuries). good attitude

- shifty and athletic, good punt returner

- good run blocker, good motor

Against Julio:

- concentration lapses make you nervous

- WR pretty much the least of our needs (productive starters with Moss/Armstrong, promising youth at the third spot with Banks/Kelly/Austin that deserves a look).

I like Julio a bit more than I like A.J. Green, but I just don't see us taking a wide receiver in the first round this year given our lack of need at the position. I don't see Amukamara and Peterson being available at ten, and I'm not sure a CB will be the route we choose to take in the first either since we've got some quality there on the roster and the coaches seem to like Carlos. I think we have virtually no shot at drafting Fairley so we should probably just forget about him. Likewise, Gabbert probably won't make it past all of the QB needy teams to us at ten. I don't think both Dareus and Watt will make it past the Cowboys and Browns. Quinn might not be clean from a character, scheme fit, or medical standpoint. And I don't think Von Miller is a particularly good fit for our organization.

From your list, I think that there is a decent chance we'd be left choosing between Tyron Smith and J.J. Watt as our best options at 10. I really like both prospects and would be happy to end up with either. I'd be excited about adding an impact talent to edge of the line of scrimmage on either side of the ball.

---------- Post added February-12th-2011 at 03:46 AM ----------

My bottom line is that I'd love to draft Tyron Smith. I also have no problems in principle taking a RT at 10 overall. OT is a money position that gets drafted early because it's hard to find good starters there. I think Tyron Smith can be a Probowl caliber OT in the NFL, and he's already had two dominant seasons at RT in college in a scheme that runs a lot of zone blocking.

BUT, what I hope happens is that Tyron Smith shows up at the combine weighing 280 pounds. If he does that, he'll drop on draft day. A sub 300 pound OT hasn't been taken in the first in a while. Both William Beatty and Charles Brown were excellent sub 300 pound offensive tackles that slipped into the second round because of concerns over their weight.

It'd be amazing if we could somehow get Gabbert or Dareus at 10 and Smith at 41. He said he weighed 285 when he declared. Let's keep our fingers crossed he isn't able to put on the weight in time.

Archived