Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs v.1 vs belchichek - with patriots - it's even

PatFischer37

As great a coach as bill belicheck has been with the

Pats , he's got nothin on Joe Gibbs during his first

Tenure with the skins

Bill belicheck - coach of new England 2000-2011

4 appearances in super bowls, 3 victories (qbs - bledsoe, Brady, cassell)

Joe Gibbs coach of Redskins 1981-1992

4 appearances in super bowls, 3 victories (qbs- theismann, Schroeder, Williams , rypien , humphries)

But coach Gibbs will not be remembered for video taping, making a joke of the injury report, cheating on his wife, running up scores on teams that were inferior, tripping gunners on the sidelines. Bill Belichick will forever be known as the coach that would do anything for an advantage. Question.. how many Superbowls would Joe Gibbs have won with Tom Brady as his quarterback? That is the answer to your thread.

Let's compare Belichick and Gibbs records without their #1 QB

Belichick without Brady = 65-64 1 playoff victory (8 seasons, 1 playoff appearance)

Gibbs without Theismann = 107-73 11-5 playoff record, 2 Lombardi Trophies (11 seasons, 7 playoff appearances)

To the OP:

I just want to let you know one thing, friendo: there's no need to validate Gibbs's greatness. He won three SBs with three different QBs. I'll eat my shorts if any coach can ever accomplish that again. His HOF spot is rightly deserved and any list without Gibbs in the top 5 or 10 Greatest NFL coaches of all time has no credibility whatsoever.

Let's compare Belichick and Gibbs records without their #1 QB

Belichick without Brady = 65-64 1 playoff victory (8 seasons, 1 playoff appearance)

Gibbs without Theismann = 107-73 11-5 playoff record, 2 Lombardi Trophies (11 seasons, 7 playoff appearances)

One could counter with "Let's compare Belichick and Gibbs' records in the free agency/salary cap era."

It's all apples and oranges.

One poster said it best, Gibbs was the best of his era and Belichick is the best of his era.

Wrong.... Edge to Gibbs. Tom Brady will be one of the most celebrated and decorated QBs of all-time, and was there for all 3 Super Bowl wins. Gibbs got his hardware with 3 different QBs (AND 3 different RBs). I feel like a lot of football fans don't appreaciate how much of an accomplishment that is.

One could counter with "Let's compare Belichick and Gibbs' records in the free agency/salary cap era."

It's all apples and oranges.

One poster said it best, Gibbs was the best of his era and Belichick is the best of his era.

Except Belichick sucked without Brady in the salary cap era. And without Brady, Belichick managed to do something that Gibbs never did. Get fired. 131 games is not a small sample size. In fact, his coaching record going into the day Brady took over for Drew Bledsoe was 41-57. He took over a New England team that hadn't had a losing season in 5 years and guided it to a 5-11 record. His QB had a career record of 58-47 prior to Belichick taking over and proceeded to go 5-13 before Brady stepped in. I'm not saying that Belichick owes all his success to Brady. I'm just saying that he needs to prove he can win without him. Because as it stands his record without Brady doesn't hold a candle to Mike Shanahan without John Elway much less Joe Gibbs.

Archived