Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How about Lorenzo Alexander at ILB?

pram11

I'm beginning to think it might be Rocky again. I'm thinking there will be no player movement and all the FAs will have to resign one year tenders to play. Just not enough time to transfer teams and get up to speed. Looks like 15 days of training then practice for this year.

Riley and Fletcher are our starting insides. I'm a giant Rocky fan (duh), but I'm smart enough to understand that he's too slim to play the inside with Riley here, and Alexander is too big to play the inside and not mobile enough.

Riley and Fletcher are our starting insides. I'm a giant Rocky fan (duh), but I'm smart enough to understand that he's too slim to play the inside with Riley here, and Alexander is too big to play the inside and not mobile enough.

Check the date of that post. ;)

Apparently Alexander lost 20 pounds last year and is coming in around 250, which is the perfect size for ILB. Unless you believe Ray Lewis is too big for ILB.

Apparently Alexander lost 20 pounds last year and is coming in around 250, which is the perfect size for ILB. Unless you believe Ray Lewis is too big for ILB.

He's listed at 275lbs on NFL.com as well as Wiki as well as Yahoo as well as ESPN as well as Redskins.com

I'm going to go with that. No Ray Lewis is not too big for ILB, but Lorenzo is, sorry.

As a starter?? No.

But Alexander is the perfect player to have on the bench. In a pinch, he can work in at ILB, OLB, DE effectively. You don't have many players than can play 3, possibly 4 positions (he can probably go in at FB or TE).

Example- Can Rocky sub in at anything besides ILB? or Markus White anywhere besides OLB? Nield may be able to do DE, but that's it. Plus, 'Zo is great on special teams.

In all honesty and no disrespect to Alexander... How about no..

Thank you for such a valuable contribution to the discussion...

I think that while Zo will be technically listed as a ILB, you'll see him lining up all over the defensive front. He's like a swiss army knife and I'm pretty confident that the staff will put him in the spots to make plays. We could see him on the line, rushing the edge and playing ILB. Not to mention special teams....

This also opens a spot for Marcus White or a draft pick.

In all honesty and no disrespect to Alexander... How about no..

Care to elaborate? Alexander has shown a proficiency for picking up a myriad of assignments from multiple positions. I don't see him as a potential starter at the position but his skills could be taken advantage of there and across the front 7.

Ive always said that ILB would end up being his natural position and there were some positive reports out last year during the player led practices on his coverage skills from the ILB position.

Not that it means anything at all, but his rating goes up in Madden if you switch him from OLB to ILB :ols:

I think that while Zo will be technically listed as a ILB, you'll see him lining up all over the defensive front. He's like a swiss army knife and I'm pretty confident that the staff will put him in the spots to make plays. We could see him on the line, rushing the edge and playing ILB. Not to mention special teams....

Good points, and also situations will effect when he could be used at ILBer, like 3rd and really short or goal line. He would be like having another lineman up close. Some guys don't see the possibilities, glad you pointed some out.

Doesn't really matter if it opens a spot for Marcus White, when Kerrigan plays all the defensive snaps =P

I've been calling for this since we switched to 3-4. I think he's a great 3rd ILB. I also think that a rookie ILB doesn't make much sense for us either. With the way the ILB market for FAs has gone, I'd wait until after the draft to add a vet. Zo has the talent to replace Fletch in a couple of years, but with him learning the position, Perry only starting half a season, and London's age, we'd be best with a solid vet as our 4th ILB and insurance policy. There's no need to carry 5 ILBs so I'd pass on one in the draft. Our front 7 group is pretty set.

OP is an insider or a prophet?

Mike Jones over at the WaPo is reporting that Lorenzo Alexander is moving to ILB, as the primary backup to Fletch and Riley.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/lorenzo-alexander-transitioning-to-inside-linebacker/2012/04/17/gIQAa4mWOT_blog.html

With London Fletcher freshly inked to a new contract and fellow inside linebacker Perry Riley set as the other starter as he enters his third pro season, the Washington Redskins plan to groom Lorenzo Alexander as the primary backup at both positions.

EDIT: Just saw this was posted in the first bump a page or two back. Still, I am impressed that the OP saw this coming in February.

Archived