Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

injury settlement questions

GOSKINS_08

Ok so I was in a car accident back on Oct 1st, and the accident wasn't my fault(insurance company and the police report determined that) but a few weeks later I started having neck and back pain so I go to a chiropractor..I'm almost done with my treatment, but my neck pain is still there every day, and back pain every now and then..so I plan on sueing after my treatments at the chiropractor are over since I'm only 20, and I apparently have to deal with this annoying ass pain daily for life..How much does someone typically get considering all that..Id rather not have this pain and I'd rather have my Caddie back but since it happened I need to get compensated.

If I understand correctly if I win the case then the lawyer fees are paid for..I already have a lawyer.

Youhavealawyer.com?

Yeah the ambulance chasers make all the money, you might get some scraps.

Seriously, unless your injuries are really serious, the judgements on these cases are peanuts.

The ambulance chasers will take your case on a contingency fee, so you won't owe them anything other than about 33-40% of your recovery. But you'll have a major causation issue, because, if i'm reading your post correctly, you didn't start noticing symptoms until a few weeks after the accident. Ambulance chasers may not waste their time with you.... And never go to a chiropractor is you're contemplating litigation. They're full of ****. Go with the doc assigned to you by your ambulance chaser. they should have a ready made list of quacks who come around giving away refridgerator magnets.

Haha nah I have a good lawyer..But what's "peanuts"?

I wouldn't call any ambulance chaser a "good lawyer".

He/she will probably try and get some settlement out of court. You might get a couple of grand if you are lucky. Back pain and neck pain after the fact are generally thrown out unless you have some real evidence that it negatively impacts your life. That's hard to prove with back and neck pain.

---------- Post added January-27th-2011 at 11:36 PM ----------

The lawyer generally gets a large percentage if you are on a contingency basis,check your paperwork for the details

If you have a lawyer why are you asking us?

Exactly, your lawyer can tell you what you can expect. You didn't just hit the lotto.

what everyone here is telling you is bogus....if you went through your insurance company to get compensation....the insurance company appoints a lawyer for you and pays for it and gets the money back from the other insurance company this exact thing has happened to me....I love when people come on here and state their opinion and have no idea what they are talking about

what everyone here is telling you is bogus....if you went through your insurance company to get compensation....the insurance company appoints a lawyer for you and pays for it and gets the money back from the other insurance company this exact thing has happened to me....I love when people come on here and state their opinion and have no idea what they are talking about

What happened in your case and how much did you settle for?

What was bogus? Please tell. My wife works for a law firm that represents automobile claims for a major auto insurance firm.

My case is still going on......it happened last February...but all lawyer fees are paid for by State Farm.....and Esurance (the insurance of the other driver) is being sued and has to pay all my medical bills, deductible, pain and suffering lawsuit......I was even taken to Fairfax Trauma Center (was a Code Yellow Trauma)....so trust me on this one if you have a good insurance company you will be fine

Sounds to me like you're referring to property damage.... He's talking about personal injury.

Pray tell ...is he represented by his insurance lawyer?

Was he compensated by his insurance?

added

It doesn't sound like his comp or uninsured motorist paid him,I agree they will sue to recoup costs in that situation,,,but it is not him getting that settlement.

Wait, i think you're talking about PIP. You're insurance policy should cover that.

I do have a physical injury policy in my auto insurance policy....that could be why I am getting compensated....don't know if the original poster has this....but don't like other people telling me that I am not right....even if their wife works for a BIG auto insurance firm....come on man

Read my comment above.....I have had personal experience with all this

My wife handles these cases daily. I know what the average joe gets. A standard back pain settlement is. It's under 5K. The big payments are when death occurs, major injuries to the payment leading to inability to work that is provable. She does this every day. Ambulance chase lawyers get paid, and typically, the injured person gets their medical expenses paid plus payment for lost work.

Glad to hear your injury got you the big score. He wasn't shipped to shock trauma.

I do have a physical injury policy in my auto insurance policy....that could be why I am getting compensated....don't know if the original poster has this....but don't like other people telling me that I am not right....even if their wife works for a BIG auto insurance firm....come on man

Everyone has Personal Injury Protection, unless you waive it (which you can if you are very very cheap). Sounds to me like you did not sue for damages, but you were compensated under your PIP provision.

My wife handles these cases daily. I know what the average joe gets. A standard back pain settlement is. It's under 5K. The big payments are when death occurs, major injuries to the payment leading to inability to work that is provable. She does this every day. Ambulance chase lawyers get paid, and typically, the injured person gets their medical expenses paid plus payment for lost work.

Glad to hear your injury got you the big score. He wasn't shipped to shock trauma.

good point...I wasn't trying to say I hit the big pay day......I am just saying if you are injured in a car accident legitmately you will have all your medical bills paid for without a question....thats all I didn't make any loot at all in the sense that I can go out and buy a new car or even a new suit...just saying you will get reimbursed for your medical expenses.

She doesn't work for a BIG auto insurance firm. They sub this work out to small firms where ambulance chasers are involved.

In the end, my wifes firm gets paid, the suing attorney gets paid, and the back pain patient gets a couple grand, if that, if the injuries have any substance.

Big payouts require death, or dismemberment, or serious injury which leads to inability to work.

---------- Post added January-27th-2011 at 11:57 PM ----------

good point...I wasn't trying to say I hit the big pay day......I am just saying if you are injured in a car accident legitmately you will have all your medical bills paid for without a question....thats all I didn't make any loot at all in the sense that I can go out and buy a new car or even a new suit...just saying you will get reimbursed for your medical expenses.

My point to the OP is his best case scenario is to have his medical bills paid. He wont get an injury settlement unless it is severe. If he gets anything, it will go into the lawyers pocket and he will have enough to pay his medical bills left over. My wife even has cases where the settlement wont even pay the medical bills.

Certainly, I had a claim under my PIP, paid my medical,and for glasses destroyed and 1,200 or so for pain and suffering(really they offered it for me signing a medical release)

Suing is a different critter though

Archived