Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would you be mad If we DID NOT draft a QB this year?

HLF

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

What If the coaching staff feels their isnt enough talent at the QB position in this years draft and decide to hold off until next year? Lets say they find a serviceable QB this year ie...Grossman or Bulger and wait till next year to possibly get Matt Schaub and just fill the holes we have elsewhere with the picks we currently have. How would you feel?

What If the coaching staff feels their isnt enough talent at the QB position in this years draft and decide to hold off until next year? Lets say they find a serviceable QB this year ie...Grossman or Bulger and wait till next year to possibly get Matt Schaub and just fill the holes we have elsewhere with the picks we currently have. How would you feel?

I wouldn't be upset because I look at it as Shanny felt the QB class wasn't that strong and felt that he could get by with something else until 2012 which has the potential to be another big time QB class with Luck, Barkley, Cousins, Robert Griffin III and Aaron Murray

I voted yes for a different reason that most would imagine.

I would be not be mad if we passed on a QB in the first round. However, if we pass on drafting a QB with any selection, I will be extremely disappointed. There is no reason we should not be bringing in a young guy with a late round pick if only to be a long term project of depth.

Do people realize that come kick off next season, our youngest QB will be 30 years old?

I would be not be mad if we passed on a QB in the first round. However, if we pass on drafting a QB with any selection, I will be extremely disappointed. There is no reason we should not be bringing in a young guy with a late round pick if only to be a long term project of depth.

Do people realize that come kick off next season, our youngest QB will be 30 years old?

I would agree with the notion that we should have some younger competition in the QB mix but that's still not necessarily a compelling reason to draft a QB even if it is with a late pick. We could just as easily sign a UDFA or a younger veteran QB to accomplish that.

If your all for drafting a long term project QB why not just take Cam in the first round then?

Most years you have three spots to use on a QB. Currently our three spots are:

Spot 1 - McNabb

Spot 2 - John Beck

Spot three would go to Rex Grossman but he is a Free Agent now. People think that we are going to re-sign Grossman this year. If we do then were does that young guy fit? Unless of course that means we are cutting / trading McNabb which I've said I believe we would do this offseason and people around here argued the opposite. If we do indeed cut / trade McNabb then the rookie goes to #3 after we re-sign Grossman. But I can't even think about this question of being upset or not about signing a QB when McNabb's future is totally unknown

If your all for drafting a long term project QB why not just take Cam in the first round then?

1) I don't think he is worth the 10th pick.

2) I'd like a long term developmental back up, someone not necessarily picked to be a franchise QB, but someone who can fill in when needed that we can trade away - think someone like Matt Cassel, or Matt Mauck - those are the type of picks that there is no reason not to make when you are QB needy. Little downside.

---------- Post added January-24th-2011 at 04:32 PM ----------

Most years you have three spots to use on a QB. Currently our three spots are:

Spot 1 - McNabb

Spot 2 - John Beck

Spot three would go to Rex Grossman but he is a Free Agent now. People think that we are going to re-sign Grossman this year. If we do then were does that young guy fit? Unless of course that means we are cutting / trading McNabb which I've said I believe we would do this offseason and people around here argued the opposite. If we do indeed cut / trade McNabb then the rookie goes to #3 after we re-sign Grossman. But I can't even think about this question of being upset or not about signing a QB when McNabb's future is totally unknown

Technically, isn't McNabb a restricted FA?

And why is John Beck a roadblock to drafting (or signing a young QB)? He's 30 the next time there is a regular season game.

We need young competition at every position, especially QB.

No. I'm mad because the Skins seem to waste at least one draft pick every year on a Quarterback. We've drafted 7 of them since 2000 and traded away draft picks for 3 more. If you didn't figure it out after the McNabb debacle, hint - it's not the QB.

Hope springs eternal - especially for the Brady Bunch - those ES'ers who want the Skins to spend another pick on "the next Tom Brady" every year. I could understand it every 3rd year, if the designated ball-cap-wearing, clean jerseyed, designated folder holder can't work his way to backup after 3 years, then get another ball-cap wearing, clean-jerseyed, designated folder holder. But every year? Why not spend those 214 to 1 long shots on a position of need like OL or punter or LS or kicker or something with a chance to make the team?

Edit: With one exception. I want to see Atlanta Skins Fans model work, so if he says his model says to get a quarterback, I won't complain. At least he has a method to the madness.

Why not spend those 214 to 1 long shots on a position of need like OL or punter or LS or kicker or something with a chance to make the team?

Every player drafted in the late rounds is a long shot to make the team.

Why do QB rich teams like the Pats and Packers continue to take developmental QBs year after year? There's value in late round QBs other than becoming the next Tom Brady.

Wouldn't be mad. But would be a little surprised.

I would add a follow up, too. How would fans feel if we didn't draft a QB but made a move for another veteran like Carson Palmer or Marc Bulger. I bet people wouldn't be so hot for that either, and the truth is one of these things is likely to happen because the odds of keeping McNabb seem long and I'm not sure we'll resign Grossman either.

I would add a follow up, too. How would fans feel if we didn't draft a QB but made a move for another veteran like Carson Palmer or Marc Bulger.

This would be the dumbest **** imaginable.

Our depth chart to start post-draft minicamps should be:

Rex

Beck

Draft Pick or UDFA

Technically, isn't McNabb a restricted FA?

Technically no, not at all. He was just signed to a multi year 40 million dollar extension

And why is John Beck a roadblock to drafting (or signing a young QB)? He's 30 the next time there is a regular season game.

Age aside he is the second of our two QB's that's signed to a multi year deal which we worked out last season.

I'm not saying Becks a lock for next year but I am saying that if we signed him to a multi year deal that's saying to me he's still in the plans for us. The only QB not signed right now is Grossman

Wouldn't be mad. But would be a little surprised.

I would add a follow up, too. How would fans feel if we didn't draft a QB but made a move for another veteran like Carson Palmer or Marc Bulger. I bet people wouldn't be so hot for that either, and the truth is one of these things is likely to happen because the odds of keeping McNabb seem long and I'm not sure we'll resign Grossman either.

As long as that move doesnt involve trading away draft picks and or spending alot of $$ on Id be cool with it. It would say to me that were trying to fill the other holes in the draft which is much needed. Now If they were to trade a 5th round pick for the likes of Palmer or Bulger then Id be pissed.

No. I'm mad because the Skins seem to waste at least one draft pick every year on a Quarterback. We've drafted 7 of them since 2000 and traded away draft picks for 3 more. If you didn't figure it out after the McNabb debacle, hint - it's not the QB.

So your mad that those long shot 7th rounders we hoped turned out to be the next Brady didn't do anything here? Is it confusing to you that a first round pick isn't the same as a 7th? Or maybe your mad that a 35 year old broken down inaccurate before he ever got here QB played like an old broken down inaccurate QB? Come on man if your just wanting to get mad then why not get mad about something we really ****ed up with like us actually drafting one of those long shots to make it QB's - Chase Daniels - Who actually showed here he could play in this league and sitting back watching him go become the backup to Drew Brees because the idiots around here thought it was cute to join a cult? If you want to discuss the last 10 years of QB mistakes then put Chase on that list along with skipping out on drafting Aaron Rogers so we could waste tons of picks on the journeyman Campbell, and giving away picks for old crappy washed up QB's like Brunell and McNabb. If that damn Cult didn't exist Chase would have stayed and we'd already have rostered a great young QB instead we've gone nowhere with the most important position and Sir, it is the QB. We just tried to throw **** against the wall instead of digging in and making something work.

Archived