Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Videos: Mike Maycock on the 2011 QB Class

DieselPwr44

How about this guy? He's second on The Sporting News' QB list, and they have him listed as running a 4.42 40. (Really?)

Colin Kaepernick

QB, Nevada

War Room analysis

ARM STRENGTH: Does not have the rare, elite arm strength that makes NFL teams drool. Does however have good arm strength and has proven to us that he can make every NFL throw when he strides into throw. Arm strength enables him to overcome his slight wind-up delivery/release - ball bursts out of hand and gets to receiver quickly. Has the arm strength to make strong throws on the move even when he is not able to set feet and throw with good technique. GRADE: 6.5 ACCURACY / DELIVERY / RELEASE: Surprised me with his accuracy because college quarterbacks who play in the the �Pistol� or �Spread Option� have not shown good accuracy when charted out, but Kaepernick consistently showed the ability to make every type of throw with zip and accuracy. Is usually able to set-up and get rid of the ball quickly once he decides where he is throwing the ball; the reality is that he has a slight wind-up (Ball tends to pause for just a beat at the back of pull-back) and this wind-up makes his delivery/release a little deliberate, which allows defender to break and close on some of his passes too quickly. GRADE: 6.0 FIELD VISION / ABILITY TO READ DEFENSE: Has at times shown the vision to see the field, go thru progressions and find open receiver, but he is not consistent enough doing this. Has a bad habit of �Eye Balling� his primary receiver at times and this combined with his slight wind-up/hitch, makes him deliberate which allows defender to break and close quickly on his passes. Seems to have a good sense of reading the defense correctly as he just about never throws a ball into a bad spot because of a miss-read and will not force passes into bad spots. Does a good job of identifying the blitz and can get rid of the ball quickly and accurately to his �Hot� receiver. GRADE: 7.0 RUNNING ABILITY: Has excellent running ability and has consistently shown the ability to make big plays running with the ball. Gets to full speed fast, can juke tacklers and has the speed to take plays the distance. Has consistently shown the ability to sense/feel the pressure coming and combined with his excellent foot quicks, agility and speed has been able to avoid sacks, buys second chance and makes plays on the move - both making accurate throws on the move and by scrambling for a big play. GRADE: 8.0 LEADERSHIP / INTANGIBLES: Is a smart young man who has shown the ability to take control of the offense in key situations and gets his teammates to raise the level of their play when it is most important. Has excellent intangibles and has a real knack for coming thru with a big play when the team needs it most. Is a high character young man who carries himself the right way and consistently makes the right decision. Is a poised QB who has consistently shown the ability to make good decisions when under pressure and does not make mistakes when things go bad. Has learned the important and hard to teach lesson of being willing to throw the ball away to avoid the sack rather than force the ball into bad spots. Does not panic with pressure around him and in his face and will not just throw the ball up to avoid the sack. Has consistently shown the ability to convert keys downs into first downs or TD's - he can do it with his arm and legs and converts at nearly a 70 percent rate. GRADE: 8.5

Bottom line: He clearly jumped off the film with his athleticism, arm strength and consistently outstanding production. He has excellent height at over 6'4, but is definitely thin and will need to add bulk/weight and not run as often in the NFL if he is going to be a durable NFL player. Overall, I doubt Kaepernick is going to be drafted as highly as I have him rated, but I am confident that he will eventually develop into a good starting QB who has the ability to make game changing plays with his feet and his arm.

If Locker is fantastic outside the pocket, I guess that's the natural characteristic of a "Shanny QB" if that actually means anything. I want Locker the most, then Gabbert in a far second tied with Dalton. I would like to get Mallett or Newton, but I would definitely have my worries about those two.

On a side note, I could see Dalton being the steal of the draft, maybe like a Joe Flacco despite different skill sets between the two.

Its Mayock....;):ols:

Both Mayock and Kiper completely fail when its draft time. Its makes for great TV during the draft. Kiper was funny when he thought jimmy was going to the redskins. They are usually wrong, the only guy who's been consistent is Todd McShay. He actually watches the games and doesn't count on assistants to write up reports on players.

For good draft breakdowns, go with Mcshay and ProFootballWeekly.com IMO

Both Mayock and Kiper completely fail when its draft time. Its makes for great TV during the draft. Kiper was funny when he thought jimmy was going to the redskins. They are usually wrong, the only guy who's been consistent is Todd McShay. He actually watches the games and doesn't count on assistants to write up reports on players.

What!? Mayock is the best in the business at talent evaluation. He is the most knowledgeable analyst on TV.

Didn't Mayock get like 80 something of the top 100 picks right last year? The man is one of the best in the business and I value him over McShay

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Mayock-s-mock-makes-minced-meat-of-Mel-s-and-McS?urn=nfl-159517

Anyway, The Big Lead, which is one of the good blogs out there, kept track of a bunch of different mock drafts and then, after the fact, rated the most accurate. Curious about the results? Here's your top ten. But first, a word about the scoring methods:

For scoring purposes - 1 point was given to anyone who correctly nailed the pick exactly; .5 was given to those who had Tampa taking QB Josh Freeman, even though he went at 17 instead of 19, as many predicted.

1. Mike Mayock, NFL Network: 10/32

2. Mel Kiper, ESPN: 8.5/32

2. The Big Lead: 8.5/32

2. National Football Post: 8.5/32

5. Rick Gosselin, Dallas Morning News: 8/32

6. Don Banks, Sports Illustrated: 7/32

6. San Diego Union-Tribune: 7/32

6. Shawn Zobel, DraftHeadquarters.com: 7/32

9. Todd McShay: 6/32

10. Peter King, Sports Illustrated: 5.5/32

So there you have it. Mike Mayock is the mack daddy of mock drafting.

I'd make the following argument, though: It is entirely unreasonable to judge a guy like Mayock, Kiper or McShay on how many they got right in their mock draft. There are 32 teams in the NFL, zero of them trust those three guys enough to consistently tell them the truth about whom they're drafting, and most of the teams are constantly peppering those guys with things that are deliberately untrue. It's not their job to get a mock draft "right."

Mcshay is absolute garbage. He thought Locker was a better prospect than Bradford last year, said that Tebow would take years to contribute and has already been proven wrong on that front, and liked Vinny's '08 draft class!...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/31/todd-mcshay-backlash-builds/

Is that you, Todd?

And I, like everyone else, like Andy Dalton. Every scout I've seen talk about him loves him. If we get a pick in the 3rd round, we need to take him (if he's still there). Heck, we might need to use our 2nd on him at this rate.

lol, cam newton is a "one look guy". thats really the type of QB i want on my team, a guy who cant make more than one read at the NFL level. LOL

Jason Campbell MKII

---------- Post added January-21st-2011 at 07:56 AM ----------

Too many projects....there are no Cutlers in this draft.

Shanahan won't pick any of these guys at #10.

Let's hope you're right. I posted in the QB Thread that I don't think any of the 1st round projected QB's are worth the 10th overall pick.

Get the BPA @10 and then if there's a QB with some potential @2 or lower take him.

Thank you for that - great stuff. I'm a Mayock guy personally and think he is head and shoulders above any other draft analyst.

ASF might be right suggesting Andy Dalton could be the Tom Brady of this draft.

I'm convinced selecting Cam would be a monumental mistake.

ASF was/is touting Greg McIroy as the Tom Brady of this draft not Andy Dalton. He may have done a projection on Dalton though.

I agree with you on Newton - the thought of drafting him scares me to death. Great physical and athlectic ability but a one year starter who ran the ball as many times as he threw it and who did run a one read or at best deep/short read then run offense. He is the definition of a boom or bust pick and I dont want another 5 years of discovering we got bust.

If we are taking a QB then Gabbert is my pick but I really doubt he will be there when we pick at 10 - I think he goes top 5 personally.

Archived