Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins 2011 Mock Draft Thread 3.0 W/ Trades

skinzwiz

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

This is a mock if the redskins decide to make some trades in the draft to acquire more picks. I think these trades are within reason.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------MOCK WITH TRADES--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trade 1: McNabb and Haynesworth to seperate teams for two 4th round picks. I think it is unrealistic to get 3rds. Remember Santonio Holmes only warranted a 5th and he was far more valuable than McNabb or Haynesworth.

Trade 2: Cooley to any team with a TE need for a 3rd round pick.

Trade 3: Trade the first pick and Clinton Portis for the Saints first round pick and second round pick.With these three deals the redskins will have a late first round pick, two 2nd round picks, a 3rd, a two 4ths, two 5ths, a 6th, and two 7ths.

Round 1: (Late 1st)

Torrey Smith WR

Maryland

Analysis: Very dynamic WR. Has great speed, kick return ability, and run after the catch ability. To top it all off he runs good routes has good hands and is surprisingly good in jump ball situations. Very intriguing prospect.

Highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzlJ_FFB9m0

Round 2:

Phil Taylor DT

Baylor

Analysis: I have never seen Phil Taylor and I was worried that he was just a big piece of meat. Apparently his stock has skyrocketed and if he can play great at his size, he is the perfect fit for the 3-4. Questions about his work ethic have diminished because of the fact he came into workouts much lighter.

Round 2:

Drake Nevis DT (I would also consider JJ Watt, Cameron Heyward, and Christian Ballard if still available here.)

LSU

Analysis: IMO, Nevis has the ability to play either DT or DE in a 3-4 scheme. He has good power, but also possesses the quickness that makes him dangerous. In some games, such as the LSU-Florida game this past season, Nevis showed the ability to take over comparably to Nick Fairley. Defensive line was an issue last year for the redskins and with Anthony Bryant coming along, Nevis would fit in perfectly as a DE or as a "Bryant-Nevis carousel at DT". Drake Nevis reminds me of Darnell Dockett for the Arizona Cardinals. I believe he has the versatility to play inside or outside on the line.

Highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htpcIDTOOcw

Round 3:

Kristofer O'Dowd C

USC

Analysis: I will admit that I do not ever remember this guy playing, but he is widely regarded as the #2 center in the draft and should be available in this range. I also like Chase Beeler for Stanford and Ryan Pugh from Auburn and they are late round-FA projections. If the redskins like one of those players for center, WR Jeremy Kerley and TE DJ Williams(if still available) are other considerations.

Round 4:

Kelvin Sheppard ILB

LSU

Analysis: This guy was a great team and motivational leader for the LSU defense comparable to London Fletcher on the redskins. He is a good open field tackler and does realtively well in coverage. Hopefully he will be available at this point.

Round 4:

Lee Ziemba G

Auburn

Analysis: Blocked well this past year and was often regarded as the best lineman on Auburn's line. He was also said to be very intelligent.

Round 5:

Tyrod Taylor QB

Virginia Tech

Analysis: This QB is intriguing. He is a better passer than given credit for. I will admit sometime he seems quick to run, but it is premature to call him a "one look and run QB". He throws well on the run and when pressured and has good escapability to buy time for his WRs. He needs to work more on reading defenses and not getting greedy and forcing big plays that aren't there. He clearly has displayed that he is a good leader, has good character, and has the work ethic necessary to get better. I would really like to get him, especially if Newton is passed up.

Highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6cSGGyyfY0

Round 5:

Derrick Locke RB

Kentucky

Analysis: Locke is a speed back that could add a good change of pace to the backfield. At one point, he was said to run a 4.21 40-time. I am not sure of the validity of that timing, but Locke is very fast nonetheless.

Highlights:

Round 6:

Dion Lewis RB

Pittsburgh

Analysis: With all the depth at running back in this year's draft, Dion Lewis has been projected as late as the 5th round. This is surprising to me because of his great talent. Remember when LeSean McCoy was drafted in the 2nd round out of Pitt? IMO, Dion Lewis is almost a mirror image of LeSean McCoy. Lewis is shifty yet is a compact back with solid power. He find holes quickly and accelerates through them. He also shows good pass catching ability. He has managed to stay in good health while at Pitt as well. This is important because the Redskins currently rely on injury prone backs. It is mind boggling to me that Lewis is not projected much higher, but if he fall to the Skins he should be taken immediately.

Highlights:

(The best highlights of Lewis are in the second half of the video.)

Round 7:

Tejay Johnson FS

TCU

Analysis: I originally advocated for Jerrard Tarrant, but his stock has sky rocketed and drafting him will require a much higher pick. Tejay Johnson was regarded as one of the best senior safety prospects so he is worth a look.

Round 7:

Josh Jasper K

LSU

Analysis: Jasper is a solid and consistent kicker. Time for the redskins to put an end to their kicking woes. Draft Jasper in the 7th and be done with it!

Highlights::cool:

FA Signings: (YES, I WANT THESE GUYS SIGNED VERY BADLY)

Weslye Saunders TE

South Carolina

Zach Pianalto TE

North Carolina

Owen Spencer WR

North Carolina State

Analysis: Tall, lanky WR that can make great leaping catches. He has reliable hands and made clutch catches for NCSU. Solid route runner as well.

Highlights: (First 2 minutes 55 seconds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4l4vgc9qgU&feature=fvst

Jimmy Young WR

TCU

Analysis: Young was overshadowed by the explosive Jeremy Kerley, but he is an underrated talent. He runs good routes, has good hands, and is better after the catch than given credit. This is one of my favorite WRs in the draft and I guarantee he will make a lot of plays for someone in the NFL barring injury. Hopefully it will be the redskins.

Ramon Broadway CB

Arkansas

Analysis: All I know is he did a good job covering Julio Jones this year. That takes talent.

Graig Cooper RB

Miami

Analysis: Was a stud RB before getting hurt. He's worth bringing in as a free agent, especially if he can continue to play at the high level he once did.

Highlights:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Original Mock---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 1:

Cam Newton QB

Auburn

Analysis: Cam Newton possesses all of the attributes needed in a QB. The issue with Newton is consistency in accuracy and defensive recognition; however, on many occasions he has shown the ability to read defenses properly and throw pinpoint passes in tight areas. Newton performs well in pressure and when flushed outside of the pocket. His foundation of talent and potential should help groom him into an NFL star with proper coaching.

Highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6eI5Kyrk4g

Round 2:

Drake Nevis DT

LSU

Analysis: IMO, Nevis has the ability to play either DT or DE in a 3-4 scheme. He has good power, but also possesses the quickness that makes him dangerous. In some games, such as the LSU-Florida game this past season, Nevis showed the ability to take over comparably to Nick Fairley. Defensive line was an issue last year for the redskins and with Anthony Bryant coming along, Nevis would fit in perfectly as a DE or as a "Bryant-Nevis carousel at DT". Drake Nevis reminds me of Darnell Dockett for the Arizona Cardinals. I believe he has the versatility to play inside or outside on the line.

Highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htpcIDTOOcw

Round 5:

Dion Lewis RB

Pittsburgh

Analysis: With all the depth at running back in this year's draft, Dion Lewis has been projected as late as the 5th round. This is surprising to me because of his great talent. Remember when LeSean McCoy was drafted in the 2nd round out of Pitt? IMO, Dion Lewis is almost a mirror image of LeSean McCoy. Lewis is shifty yet is a compact back with solid power. He find holes quickly and accelerates through them. He also shows good pass catching ability. He has managed to stay in good health while at Pitt as well. This is important because the Redskins currently rely on injury prone backs. It is mind boggling to me that Lewis is not projected much higher, but if he fall to the Skins he should be taken immediately.

Highlights:

(The best highlight of Lewis are in the second half of the video.)

-----or-----

Lee Ziemba G

Auburn

Analysis: Blocked well this past year and was often regarded as the best lineman on Auburn's line. He was also said to be very intelligent.

Round 5:

Derrick Locke RB

Kentucky

Analysis: Locke is a speed back that could add a good change of pace to the backfield. At one point, he was said to run a 4.21 40-time. I am not sure of the validity of that timing, but Locke is very fast nonetheless.

Highlights:

Round 6:

Stevan Ridley RB

LSU

Analysis: This is an alternative selection if the skins pass on Dion Lewis. Ridley's running style really fits the "shanahan one cut and run" rushing scheme. He almost resembles Arian Foster in that respect.

-----or-----

Jerrard Tarrant FS

Georgia Tech

Analysis: Tarrant initially was a CB, but was moved to FS to fill the safety void at Georgia Tech. He has good ball skills and was known as one of the pillars to the tech defense. Marcus Gilchrist from Clemson is another FS with the similar skill set as Tarrant that can be considered. Both have displayed special teams ability as well.

Round 7:

Josh Jasper K

LSU

Analysis: Jasper is a solid and consistent kicker. Time for the redskins to put an end to their kicking woes. Draft Jasper in the 7th and be done with it!

Highlights::cool:

Round 7:

Chase Beeler C

Stanford

Analysis: Blocked well in the bowl game. Never heard of Stanford's line being a weakness.

-----or-----

Ryan Pugh C

Auburn

Analysis: Same scenario as Beeler. Blocked well in the championship. I've actually heard him and teammate OG Ziemba talked about quite a bit by announcers as being reliable offensive lineman. Pugh is projected as a FA. Ziemba is projected 3-4 round. Also, if Newton is drafted, having Pugh play center is a pretty good idea being that he played with Newton in college.

Why no OL?: Allow young Trent Williams and Kory L. to get better. The running game and blocking improve towards the end of the season. Lets see how the the line performs this year in being more experienced and having a better knowledge of the blocking scheme. And their are still some unknowns such as guys like Capers.

Why two RBs?: When Torain and Portis get hurt again, who are you going to rely on. Besides a 5th and 7th on a RB is not asking too much.

Why a Kicker?: Do I really have to answer that??

Yeah, I can't get behind this. Even though I like some of the players, I don't think this addresses our needs very well. And while I am not one that gets too overjoyed or annoyed with draft picks, I would not be very pleased if we took Cam Newton. He might have been a possibility before the BCS Championship game, but I don't see it now. And I am happy with that, I am not as high on him as some are and I think it is going to take him a little while to develop. I think he ends up more around #15.

Have you not seen this offensive line for the past 5 years?

At the very least we need a new Center. Possibly LG/RG too. I always DVR Skins games and I tried really hard to watch the OL closely toward the end of the season and I actually noticed Kory Leichtensteiger playing pretty well, especially in the run game. I'm willing to give him a shot again next season and possibly Montgomery too. I noticed that he made his way into the second level a lot on running plays, but we definitely have to do something at Center IMO. Especially if we're drafting a QB with our 1st rounder this year.

Yeah, I can't get behind this. Even though I like some of the players, I don't think this addresses our needs very well. And while I am not one that gets too overjoyed or annoyed with draft picks, I would not be very pleased if we took Cam Newton. He might have been a possibility before the BCS Championship game, but I don't see it now. And I am happy with that, I am not as high on him as some are and I think it is going to take him a little while to develop. I think he ends up more around #15.

I just can't put my trust into a one-year wonder QB like Newton. Tim Tebow put up similar numbers at Florida and he started for three years and still wasn't considered a top QB talent at the NFL level. I'm not sure why anyone would think Newton is.

Why no OL?: Allow young Trent Williams and Kory L. to get better. The running game and blocking improve towards the end of the season. Lets see how the the line performs this year in being more experienced and having a better knowledge of the blocking scheme. And their are still some unknowns such as guys like Capers.

Why two RBs?: When Torain and Portis get hurt again, who are you going to rely on. Besides a 5th and 7th on a RB is not asking too much.

Why a Kicker?: Do I really have to answer that??

The fact that there are no Oline in your mock draft and your justification is Trent and Kory getting better shows the nonsense of this thread. We need a center and help on both sides. There are 2 RB on the team and Portis will not be one of them next year. Our last dive into drafting a kicker (Durrant Brooks ended well). Shanny has indicated he is keeping Guano for next year. This may be a great fantasy football line up, but we need to rebuild starting up front and that is not debateable. If there is no CBA it will not matter next year. We will see

Everyone needs to understand that the redskins have so many holes that it is impossible to fill the all at once. I stated that the OL did not need to be addressed because it is a work in progress. Did everybody miss the end of the season when the line started blocking a lot better?? It's a new scheme with quite a few new players, let the scenario play out. QB and DT are just as important as a center. Is there any center you would mind taking late because I dont know any. And doubt you all do too. If the redskins didnt trade their 3rd and 4th we wouldn't be having this discussin. But with limited picks, something has to give.

Everyone needs to understand that the redskins have so many holes that it is impossible to fill the all at once. I stated that the OL did not need to be addressed because it is a work in progress. Did everybody miss the end of the season when the line started blocking a lot better?? It's a new scheme with quite a few new players, let the scenario play out. QB and DT are just as important as a center. Is there any center you would mind taking late because I dont know any. And doubt you all do too. If the redskins didnt trade their 3rd and 4th we wouldn't be having this discussin. But with limited picks, something has to give.

Stefen Wisniewski and Mike Pouncey are the top projected Centers in the draft.

Unfortunately, as with most drafts, we really need to be in the 3rd and 4th rounds; we're not there currently but we might we some trades I hope. This does not look like a very good draft class overall with just a cursory glance, which complicates things a great deal without any 3rd or 4th round picks IMO. It's way early of course. I think we will address immediate needs DT & C in FA - I hope anyway. I'd love to get C Wisniewski too, but in range of #10 and #41 makes it difficult I think barring a trade of course. The Patriots have a ridiculous amount of picks and I don't think they trade as much this time and will snatch up some good players for value.

#10 OLB/DE Aldon Smith Missouri looks promising

#41 WR Torrey Smith Maryland sounds good to me

no clue after and hope we can make some trades....

Is there any center you would mind taking late because I dont know any..

I would not mind this guy in place of Rabach...

Stefen Wisniewski, C/G, Penn State

Height: 6-3. Weight: 298.

Projected 40 Time: 5.13.

Projected Round (2011): 2.

Wisniewski's best position is center and he is a great fit for zone-blocking schemes. He is tough, plays with terrific technique and does a great job winning the leverage battle.

Ok, here's mine, for now:

1. Jake Locker (QB, Washington -- I'm not thrilled with this pick, but it seems inevitable, so that's why it's here)

2. Justin Houston (OLB, Georgia)

5. Jake Kirkpatrick (Center, TCU)

5. Anthony Gray (NT, Southern MIss)

6. Derrick Locke (RB, Kentucky)

7. Brett Greenwood (FS, Iowa)

7. Greg Little (WR, North Carolina)

If we get a 3rd and a 4th for McNabb and AH, it looks like this:

1. Locker

2. Jonathon Baldwin (WR, Pitt)

3. Dontay Moch (OLB, Nevada)

4. Phil Taylor (NT, Baylor)

5. Jake Kirkpatrick (C, TCU)

5. Clint Bolling (G, Georgia)

6. Derrick Locke (RB, Kentucky)

7. Brett Greenwood (FS, Iowa)

7. Brandon Bair (DE, Oregon)

It's all matter of opinion but I wouldn't be happy with this draft. Cam Newton could be exciting but I don't particularly like any of the QB's in this draft. I'm not a huge college guy so I'm not up on all the current prospects but I've seen Allen Bailey as a late first in most mocks so I find it hard to believe he will fall into the third or fourth as you have suggested. Still appreciate the work for guys like me that aren't familiar with all the prospects yet. Unlike most others I would not have a problem spending a pick on a kicker if our coaches think he is the real deal.

Dont forget the free agent pool will be huge this year as well. The majority of the restricted free agents from last year are going to be available. We can fill some holes through free agency. And before people go crazy about how free agency sucks, I am not saying bring in the most expensive free agents. just bring in some middle of the road help.

For centers, would you consider Chase Beeler from stanford and/or Ryan Pugh from Auburn? I did include any on the mock because I did not think the centers available in the 5th were any better than possible FA signings. Beeler and Pugh are pretty good from the bowl games I saw and they are 7th round/ FA projections.

Pouncey's brother made the Probowl his rookie year for Pitt and was picked 18th. He may not be as great at center, but he is said to be capable of playing every position on the line. Versatile, natural right guard that we desperately need, and the twin brother of a probowler, I don't see this as a reach whatsoever.

Add to that grabbing Wisniewski in the 2nd, and I'd be ecstatic about our draft.

Pouncey's brother made the Probowl his rookie year for Pitt and was picked 18th. He may not be as great at center, but he is said to be capable of playing every position on the line. Versatile, natural right guard that we desperately need, and the twin brother of a probowler, I don't see this as a reach whatsoever.

Add to that grabbing Wisniewski in the 2nd, and I'd be ecstatic about our draft.

While I would love to have good interior lineman come in, the redskins can't possibly spend their first two picks on one. As I stated before, if the skins had their 3rd and 4th pick (or at least one of them) we wouldn't have to worry. They could address G and C in the 3rd and 4th. With trading players the redskins may be able to acquire a 4th. The redskins could draft OG Ziemba around the 4th and pick a C like Pugh or Beeler as an undrafted free agent (I made that adjustment in my thread by the way). There's really no big difference between the centers available in the fifth round and those that are projected FAs.

I may be seeing this through my black and gold (University of MD) colored glasses, but wouldn't it possibly be a good idea to drop back down in the draft and get more picks and possibly draft a Torrey Smith late in the first or early second. The guy's almost impossible to cover.
It would be very nice to get more picks, but I'd rather stay at the #10 overall position and try to trade players such as Carter, Haynesworth, Portis and also McNabb, McIntosh, and Rogers (if a sign and trade is possible with them) to get a 3rd and/or 4th rounder.

Torrey Smith is highly rated. I do not personally know much about him and I think their are other good WR that will be available later and even after the draft. But if he is a good as you say, he may be considered. You never know.

As it sits, I dont like #10 just like 09' when we got lucky and Bills liked Maybin over RAK. Unfortunately, Prince wont fall and I dont like Von Miller, I just watched some tape and he cosistantly got to far upfield on his rush and the QB always looped under for big gains. There has been alot of debate on trading #5 and #92. With a perfect world and the CBA resolved this is what Id try to pull off for THIS year as Ive said to package #5, #92, and #47 to Carolina for 1st round in 2012. But a "this" year payoff, trade #5 and #47 to ARI for swaps in rounds 1 and 2 . That moves us up to #5 and they still are in position to get Gabbert/Newton to groom or they could go somewhere else. That being said, 1st (#5) CB- Prince Amukamara (Neb), 2nd (#38) WR- Jonathan Baldwin (Pitt) and 5th C- Chase Beeler (Stan)

As it sits, I dont like #10 just like 09' when we got lucky and Bills liked Maybin over RAK.

Interestingly enough, Maybin has been such a colossal failure in Buffalo that he may be released just two years after being the #11 pick overall. He's got an interesting size/speed combo, something like 6'4", 250# according to ESPN. I remember at Penn State, he was quick as hell off the ball but he's way too small to play DE in the NFL, he had to seriously bulk up just to hit 250. He'll probably be available for a minimun amount of money. I'd sign him cheap and see if he fits in, he's the right size to play LB in our scheme, and could be a backup if nothing else. Even if we cut him in training camp, it wouldn't cost us a thing.

Personally, I enjoy reading these mocks, my only issue with them is how unrealistic people are about what players are available. I saw one on this site (and it may have been in this thread) that talked about taking Von Miller with our 2nd round pick, despite the fact that most mocks I've seen have him going in the top 15-20. There's no point in putting together a great mock looking mock draft that's completely unrealistic. I enjoy the OP's effort, but if we don't draft at least one interior lineman, this will be a wasted draft.

Archived