Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone here use a Macbook or Macbook Pro?

#98QBKiller

Yeah, I don't want Microsoft, or any company holding my personal files in their "cloud". I also don't want to be in a mode of paying for storage or services from the cloud. Which is what the cloud is geared to do. No thanks.

I agree. Some cloud technology is useful but I don't want everything on a computer to be cloud based.

I don't mind lack of optical drives though. I would be very happy if all software were available on a flash drive.

Yeah, I don't want Microsoft, or any company holding my personal files in their "cloud". I also don't want to be in a mode of paying for storage or services from the cloud. Which is what the cloud is geared to do. No thanks.
Meh, all my e-mail is on Google's cloud. My photos and friends are on Facebook's cloud. My political opinions are on the Extremeskins cloud. I'm not sure I keep anything really important on my hard drive anymore.
Point being is our technology revolution has done a 360. From mainframes with dumb terminals, to localized computing power, and back again. Some real innovation there :)
Client-server has always been the most efficient model. We only went to localized computing because communications infrastructure lagged way behind processing power for a decade or so (during which Microsoft made a ****load of money). I'm happy to trade Encarta CDs for Wikipedia. I'm happy to trade Blockbuster for Netflix streaming movies. I'm happy to trade Tower Records for iTunes. Having a whole lot of stuff stored on servers is really convenient for a lot of things.

We'll never go all the way back to the dumb terminal, but the growth in server-side processing and storage is at the heart of what makes the internet great. The cloud is the future. Get on board.

• 1 year later...

I'm in the process of planning my switch from my Lenovo laptop to a Macbook Pro (likely). I'm thinking that it may be a good idea to wait until the next version of the Macbook Pro 15" comes out (3-4 months, perhaps, accordingly to past trends) and hope to get the June 2012 version on discount. I have an iPhone 4 and an iPod touch and am interested in the Mac for the streamline of processes/apps and the security and speed of the newer Macbooks. Anyone else have great words to share about them?

As far as clouds go, I'm looking into purchasing a 2TB network attached storage device to store all of my music/pictures/documents. It's my understanding that I can access all of this via my phone and computer without wires, yes? Right now I have all of my music on an external hard drive so I have to hook it up whenever I want to play music in iTunes and the thought of no wires is definitely appealing to me. Does anyone have experience with network attached storage devices (NAS) and does anyone have a lead for good deal on a 2TB that's also reliable? I like the idea of my personal cloud rather than a company cloud where I'd have to pay monthly and all of my files are kept elsewhere instead of within my home (security issues). Thank you!

After years of being hopelessly out of date with my last computer being a 2001 733mz G3, I upgraded recently to a near maxed out powerbook pro retina. Let me tell you, it is simply amazing. It's insanely fast and with the 500gb SSD instead of a hard drive, start up takes about 6 seconds and everything else happens instantly. A cheap external superdrive lets me read or write any kind of disk, it'l read my camera memory cards and thumb drives handle the rest. It's no cloud computer. It's a super slim, elegant, high performance workstation for everything from graphic design, to video and music production.

The retina display... wow. It's just stunning. For viewing photos it makes a good standard flatscreen look like crap. I predict that all computer screens will be some form of retina type display just as quickly as production can be ramped up to supply them. Unfortunately.... there lies the problem. I'm trying to find the time to send my beautiful brand new computer back to apple to replace the display. It seems that for my machine, Apple sourced the display from both Samsung and LG. The ones from Samsung are pretty much fine. The ones from LG (my least favorite tech company), not so much. High contrast images left onscreen for any time will leave a ghost image burned into the display that takes some time to go away. Sometimes it's hardly noticeable. Other times it's a real problem.

I'm not sure what the current status is for new computers. I'm assuming that they have fixed it for future machines or soon will. But I just thought I would share my experience as a head's up to anyone considering this otherwise awesome machine.

I'm in the process of planning my switch from my Lenovo laptop to a Macbook Pro (likely). I'm thinking that it may be a good idea to wait until the next version of the Macbook Pro 15" comes out (3-4 months' date=' perhaps, accordingly to past trends) and hope to get the June 2012 version on discount. I have an iPhone 4 and an iPod touch and am interested in the Mac for the streamline of processes/apps and the security and speed of the newer Macbooks. Anyone else have great words to share about them?

As far as clouds go, I'm looking into purchasing a 2TB network attached storage device to store all of my music/pictures/documents. It's my understanding that I can access all of this via my phone and computer without wires, yes? Right now I have all of my music on an external hard drive so I have to hook it up whenever I want to play music in iTunes and the thought of no wires is definitely appealing to me. Does anyone have experience with network attached storage devices (NAS) and does anyone have a lead for good deal on a 2TB that's also reliable? I like the idea of my personal cloud rather than a company cloud where I'd have to pay monthly and all of my files are kept elsewhere instead of within my home (security issues). Thank you![/quote']

Look at spotify or iTunes Match for your music needs. No need or sense in storing all that stuff anymoreand there are no security risks. iCloud can allow you some access to all of your pictures if you upgrade the storage capacity but there is a 30 day/1000 image limit as of now.

If you must use nAS go with a time capsule. You knock out backup, NAS, firewall, wireless and routing all in one box.

If you really wanna go cheap, turn an old PC I to a Linux server, install new Hard drives and there you go

Archived