Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: Golfer Disqualified by ArmChair Official

Stadium-Armory

This has to be the first time I've ever heard of a fan -- at home on a computer -- calling in a penalty on a player.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/10/sports/golf/10iht-GOLF10.html

Golfer's Disqualification Creates Anger Over Armchair Officials

KAPALUA, HAWAII — Camilo Villegas’s disqualification from the Tournament of Champions for a rules violation spotted by a television viewer has set off debate, and some anger, among players. While no one has suggested that Villegas should not be penalized for illegally removing a loose impediment during the opening round at Kapalua, many dislike the fact that a fan can influence on-course events.

“An armchair official tweeted in to get Camilo DQ’d,” Britain’s Ian Poulter said in his own posting on Twitter. “What is wrong with people? Have they got nothing better to do? “Yes the rules are the rules. It was a mistake on Camilo’s behalf. He didn’t know he had done wrong, but people calling in? No one likes a snitch.” Paul Azinger, the former U.S. Ryder Cup captain, posted a less vehement message on Twitter, saying the calling in of violations effectively protected golfers. “A TV viewer calling in a DQ stinks for the player, but no player wants to get away with breaking a rule,” Azinger said. “TV protects the field.”

Villegas flicked away some loose grass Thursday as his ball was rolling down a slope back toward his divot on the 15th hole at Kapalua. His infraction was spotted by Dave Andrews, who was watching the action on television in Daytona Beach, Florida. After checking the rules on the U.S. Golf Association’s Web site, Andrews sent Twitter messages to the P.G.A. Tour and the Golf Channel. Violating the rule normally incurs a two-shot penalty. But because Villegas had completed his round before his violation was confirmed Friday by the P.G.A., he was disqualified from the Tour’s season-opening event for signing an incorrect scorecard. Ernie Els suggested the introduction of a deadline beyond which golfers could not be disqualified from a tournament.

“If it’s a rules violation, it should be dealt with,” the South African said. “Should there be a deadline? If you sign your card, it’s done and you can’t do anything about it. If somebody wants to call in, you’ve got to do it before we are done playing.”

Here's video of the infraction (at the 20 second mark):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSWAJiH3yeI

My first reaction is to feel like this is ridiculous, but the more I think about golf, and how the rules are applied, the more it makes sense to me. In golf, the player is responsible for knowing the rules, and calling penalties on them selves. Its too bad that Camilo didn't know that was a penalty, but he's supposed to, and supposed to call the penalty on him self.

Yet, it seems out of bounds to act on something that was "called in" by a fan on Twitter.

I can't get my head around what makes sense here, what do you think?

Not the first time this has happened. In 87 Craig Stadler was DQd after finishing 2nd in a tournament because a viewer watching highlights saw that he had "built his stance" by kneeling on a towel to keep his pants clean. Theinfraction took place in the 3rd round but he wasnt penalized until after th e4th round.

Not the first time this has happened. In 87 Craig Stadler was DQd after finishing 2nd in a tournament because a viewer watching highlights saw that he had "built his stance" by kneeling on a towel to keep his pants clean. Theinfraction took place in the 3rd round but he wasnt penalized until after th e4th round.

Yes, I remember seeing highlights of that. He was kneeling under a tree, on a towel. I didn't realize there was a fan element to that one too.

It was his divot. If he had simply replaced his divot, would this have been a penalty? If it would still have resulted in a penalty, doesn't replacing your divot constitute "removing a loose impediment"? You are literally moving a chunk of grass.

I don't know the official ruling, but I imagine he has to wait for the ball to stop rolling to remove any debris or replace a divot. The ball was still moving when he hit the divot and it could have effected the play.

I don't know the official ruling, but I imagine he has to wait for the ball to stop rolling to remove any debris or replace a divot. The ball was still moving when he hit the divot and it could have effected the play.

Yes, rule 23-1 is about 'improving the path of the ball'.

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Rule-23/

When a ball is in motion, a loose impediment that might influence the movement of the ball must not be removed.

I think most are in agreement that while it might seem weird to the lay person, this was a violation of the rules. The strange part is how it was reported on twitter, and subsequently actioned upon by the PGA.

Or maybe not "strange". Maybe its cool how the interwebs redefine things like this. Yay wifis!

Archived