Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft either D'Marco Murray or Justin Blackmon...Trade for Shaun Hill????

OxonHillSkinsFan89

Listening to the Junks this morning a caller made a suggestion that the Skins should make a play for Lions backup QB Shaun Hill (Terps)

Even though he's under contract for next season, he had some good games for the Lions backing up Stafford. Just my opinion that if the Skins can't get good draft value for Haynesworth, that they could trade him to the Lions for Hill and maybe a 6th rounder. (Since they won't come close to getting Luck)

I think the Skins should also go after Matt Flynn of the Packers (6'2 225lbs) he's been in the league since 2008 and showed alot in his game against the Patriots.

Use their first round pick on Oklahoma RB DeMarco Murray. (6'1 191lbs 4.3 speed) or Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon (6'1 208lbs 4.4 speed).

Thoughts?

Id love to see Blackmon in the B&G... dont know much about Murray but I think drafting a RB in the first is a big mistake. Id take hill and a 6th just to get AH out of here and see if Hill can be a valuable backup, however I think the package deal is going to Tennessee or Arizona but things do change

All of this sounds like what we shouldn't do.

A RB in the 1st round is just idiotic....it makes no sense and is completely contrary to what Shanahan does.

Shaun Hill might not even fit our system and he is simply a backup. No big difference from Grossman. We can easily pick a quality backup QB in the free agency anytime.

I would not trade one of the best DLs in the league for a backup QB and a 6th rounder. I would at least try and get a 4th rounder for him. If I were to get a player, It would be a ZBS O Linemen and a 5th round pick.

We don't even need WR or RB in the 1st round. A team like us cannot afford to draft that way. That's why we're in the position we are in today. We need to stockpile draft picks through trading players and trading back. Then we need to focus on NT, C, LG, RG, R DE, 3-4 OLB, FS, WR. WR is probably the least of our concerns and we can pick one of those up in the latter rounds (Matt Scezur, Terrance Toliver, Devier Posey). With all of those needs, we should not dedicate our 1st round pick to WR or RB...smh.

We should honestly be getting a 3rd for a guy like Albert because everyoen knows he is dominant. Especially if we trade him to TENN. I believe this will be our likely trading partner. WE might get a WR and a 4th for Albert. Maybe trade Mcnabb and Albert for a 3rd and 5th. Something similar to this.

Hill is OK, but is injury prone and has been streaky in his career. He is also older than a lot of people think, as he will be 31 in a few days.

As for Flynn, he has started one game in his career. It is hard to judge someone based on that. He looked good, but who knows how he would be over the course of the season. Flynn is going to want to have the chance to be a starter somewhere and while we can offer that, I would not exactly be depending on someone that has one NFL start. He is also probably going to get a nice contract. Someone is going to take the chance though, as there are a lot of teams that are looking for QBs this year.

I would happily take either as backups, but I do not think that is the direction that you were thinking with this thread.

I'll concede that this is an interesting take.

Shanahan doesn't really have the history of taking RBs high in the draft. He feels that his system can take an average run (with a particular set of skills) and turn them into a very productive player. See Orlandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Tatum Bell, Ryan Torain, etc.

So I don't see a RB in the first.

As for Shaun Hill, I don't see the Skins trading for a QB this year. They apparently like Beck and I expect Grossman back. They'll probably sign a FA to compete with those two and draft a guy as #3.

I will say that Murray is a fine player and if he was available in the middle rounds I'd be ecstatic with him.

A RB in the 1st round is just idiotic....it makes no sense and is completely contrary to what Shanahan does.

Shaun Hill might not even fit our system and he is simply a backup. No big difference from Grossman. We can easily pick a quality backup QB in the free agency anytime.

I would not trade one of the best DLs in the league for a backup QB and a 6th rounder. I would at least try and get a 4th rounder for him. If I were to get a player, It would be a ZBS O Linemen and a 5th round pick.

We don't even need WR or RB in the 1st round. A team like us cannot afford to draft that way. That's why we're in the position we are in today. We need to stockpile draft picks through trading players and trading back. Then we need to focus on NT, C, LG, RG, R DE, 3-4 OLB, FS, WR. WR is probably the least of our concerns and we can pick one of those up in the latter rounds (Matt Scezur, Terrance Toliver, Devier Posey). With all of those needs, we should not dedicate our 1st round pick to WR or RB...smh.

We should honestly be getting a 3rd for a guy like Albert because everyoen knows he is dominant. Especially if we trade him to TENN. I believe this will be our likely trading partner. WE might get a WR and a 4th for Albert. Maybe trade Mcnabb and Albert for a 3rd and 5th. Something similar to this.

This.

Drafting an RB in the 1st round would be the worst possible move the skins could make. Shanaplan always finds quality RB's late; let him do his thing. Co-sign on Shaun Hill being basically the same as Grossman. Hell ill take Grossman just because he knows the system and now has some experience running it under fire.

If we can get 2 4th rounders or maybe 1 3rd and 1 4th for Albert and Donovan respectively, I would be very happy. I am advocating a QB in the 1st, I don't care if its Newton, Mallet, or Gabbert, just get someone in here that we can build around.

We should honestly get a 3rd but we won't. Every team knows the story between the Skins and Haynesworth so they know the Skins are DESPERATE to get rid of him. Just like McNabb. No team will offer anything more than a 4th at best. New Orleans and Tennessee offered 4th Rounders last year for him and the Skins thought they would get a better offer. Well we know how that turned out. Teams make the Skins either give up way too much to get a player (Champ Bailey and a 2nd Rounder for Portis) or make them settle for less when trying to get rid of a player (4th Rounder for a starting QB (Campbell). Just call it payback.

I respect the opinion but it definitely is a poor option to go to.

1. Shaun Hill has proven that he is consistently inconsistent:)....we already have that in Rex Grossman. A QB needs to be drafted via NO trade up.

2. D Murray is a good back but he is not worthy of the 10th overall pick. The only back that is is Mark Ingram. Besides, QB or DL should be taken here.

3. I like Blackmon, but their are other good WRs available later and drafting Blackmon would make the skins miss out on a much needed QB or DL.

The first clue that you shouldn't be making a thread like this is that you aren't aware that Murray isn't a first round pick. In fact, most mocks have him going late 2nd, early 3rd right now.

Keep this kind of speculation in the draft thread...you'll get plenty of informed comments on it there and won't be ridiculed.

I'll concede that this is an interesting take.

Shanahan doesn't really have the history of taking RBs high in the draft. He feels that his system can take an average run (with a particular set of skills) and turn them into a very productive player. See Orlandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Tatum Bell, Ryan Torain, etc.

So I don't see a RB in the first.

As for Shaun Hill, I don't see the Skins trading for a QB this year. They apparently like Beck and I expect Grossman back. They'll probably sign a FA to compete with those two and draft a guy as #3.

I will say that Murray is a fine player and if he was available in the middle rounds I'd be ecstatic with him.

In all fairness to the poster....Shanahan did draft Clinton Portis....so he has taken a rb early before....I don't think Demarco Murray is the same level as when Portis came out of Miami....so I agree this isn't a great selection of a running back....I really think taking a wide receiver other than AJ Green is not smart....we need a defensive linemen or OLB at the 10th pick.

---------- Post added January-6th-2011 at 04:32 PM ----------

I would love to get either Kenny Britt or Nate Washington with a pick from Tenn for Albert....that would be awesome

I say no way when it comes to trading for anyone.. unless it doesn't involve us losing picks.

I like Murray, but he has injury concerns throughout his college career... and our current RB also has injury concerns so I don't think it's a great idea.

Blackmon tho, heck yea.!

Id love to have Murray over anyone in this draft, but I dont think he has the speed to be a #1 pick and this was the only season he wasnt hurt at some point, But Peterson was hurt every season too with OU. IMO he is Portis 2.0 with great pass catching. Dude had 70+ receptions this year, and not all of them were screens and checkdowns, OU had packages that put him as a WR. I'd be shocked if he put up a 4.3 at the combine, he hasnt looked that fast since his freshman season, and just like Portis, he gets tackled by grass occasionally

Id want him in the 2nd, and BPA with the 1st

Geez, we're just going to cover every possible scenario, huh

Anyway, I think Grossman is fine until Shanny gets his guy. Too many other holes to fill(most overused statement on ES ever) to start plugging in other teams QBs. We have a QB, his name is Rex Grossman, and he's not as god awful as people think.

I agree 100% that the Skins don't need a RB. Torrain is a fantastic find for less than $500k, and Portis might restrucutre. Keeping Portis as the backup will keep him healthy for most of the season while Torrain does the majority of the work.

Don't compleely agree on the lack of need for WR. Moss, based on history only, is due to have a major let down in performance over the next two years. Armstrong was a stellar pickup, but unless we're planning on Kelly playing (I wish) then we need a third WR that is a deep threat. Right now Moss is the only one other teams plan for, and I think Armstrong came as a surprise to some of them. He won't surprise them next year.

Still the middle of the offensive and defensive lines are the priority, but at pick 10, most of this year's guards and centers and NT's are stretches. It would be great to trade down and pick up some picks, but you need a trading partner that has a need to pick higher. I don't think it's that easy finding one.

Hopefully, being active in free agency means that they'll spend some time finding a stellar center or a nose tackle and some other players and not another Haynesworth. Get some quality AND quantity in free agency and it'll free the team's hand in getting somebody stellar in the draft. Here's hoping. Shaun Hill I don't believe is the answer, but definitely a running back is not.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2011_4.php

I know its nothing more than another person's educated opinion but walter has Murray going in the middle of the 4th round to the Dallas Cowboys.

If you wanted to trade for Shaun Hill we should have done that at least two years ago. I argued plenty about how campbell would never be anymore then average and how Shaun Hill of the 49ers is a better qb then campbell ever will be.

Being good at acquiring talent and making good off trades requires you to make good decisions and educated guesses before everyone in the world knows a player is pretty good. At this point and with Hill two years older it's not even worth it especially when we have a guy like grossman.

Nay to everything the OP questioned. Do best to acquire more picks, as many as possible. This team needs an influx of youth and talent at MANY positions. We don't need one or two stars but a plethora of solid to good players to fill the gaps. Start with the oline or BPA but only after trading back a few times and getting whatever you can. This team desperately needs talent.

Shanahan may have taken a 1st rd RB before, but it wasn't portis according to NFL.com Portis was a 2nd Rounder.

FYI

I like what I saw from Blackmon in that bowl game. I've not seen many other OSU games, so bear that in mind, but I'd take him over a QB at this point. Imagine if we had a legit WR across from Moss (is moss being retained though? dunno)

Archived