Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Drafting a franchise QB from the Redskins draft slot: what 25 years of history tells us

Atlanta Skins Fan

The Titans brought in Mike Heimerdinger specifically to develop Vince Young. If you remember, Heimerdinger was instrumental in getting Steve McNair to some of his biggest seasons.

Before that, they brought in noted college QB guru Norm Chow. A failed experiment, but a move not the less to develop Young.

They have surrounded him with coaching support. While I agree that Fisher disagreed with Bud Adams about drafting him, the Titans have in no way not tried to help Young develop as a player.

I would considering 1) giving a young QB a strong OL, 2) a productive running game, and 3) hiring multiple OCs to specifically develop the QB as significant support.

maybe you missed this post:

So having talent should be held against a QB success?.......................And by support i was refering more to be wanted by Jeff Fisher everyone knows Vince was forced on Fisher by the owner.

Also, what about Vince Young's on the field play is negative?

His stats? He was one of the top QBs in the league this year prior to injury. He has a good winning%. He's been to the pro-bowl twice. His running ability helps open up the running game for Chris Johnson.

Now if you want to knock Vince for being a thin skinned mentally weak knucklehead i would agree 100%.

But, Vince has been a good QB.

What did your model say about Jimmy Clausen and Colt McCoy? I didn't like either, but for very different reasons.

Curious what your approach says about 2nd and 3rd round QBs (where I think there is a lot of value this year).

The model said McCoy might be a franchise QB, and that Clausen would probably bust. I also disliked Clausen, but that's me talking, not the model. The only QBs I liked were Bradford and McCoy.

As for QBs in 2011 draft, the only ones I've looked at so far are the four guys I mentioned in the post above. I'll get around to the rest before the draft.

The model said McCoy might be a franchise QB, and that Clausen would probably bust. I also disliked Clausen, but that's me talking, not the model. The only QBs I liked were Bradford and McCoy.

As for QBs in 2011 draft, the only ones I've looked at so far are the four guys I mentioned in the post above. I'll get around to the rest before the draft.

ASF, I know you put your stats a few years ago when calling JC a coach killer

Can you update the model again and put out the stats again? I know your model also called for Brady Quinn to be a star, but he was a bust

Thanks

ASF, I know you put your stats a few years ago when calling JC a coach killer

Can you update the model again and put out the stats again? I know your model also called for Brady Quinn to be a star, but he was a bust

Thanks

I jumped the gun with Brady Quinn, when I posted on October 22, 2006. He faded badly at the end of that season, and I learned a lesson about waiting for all the data to come in.

This is one reason I want to wait until after the bowl games before looking more broadly at QB prospects. The other reason is I'm too busy this month.

The reason I've jumped in early on Grossman, Luck and the other top guys is because of what's going on with the team right now. I feel pretty confident that Grossman is much better than fans think, and that the first-round prospects other than Andrew Luck aren't worth a first-round pick.

I'm trying to buy time for Grossman to prove his case before fans summarily dismiss him, as they seem to want to do. I also want to shoot down all this wishful thinking that picking anybody other than Andrew Luck in the first round is going to help the team. I don't see it. I see that ending in disaster.

Since the media seems to get its talking points these days from ExtremeSkins, I'm trying to influence the discussion, while it matters.

Everyone saying that drafting a QB by trading X picks for him won't help the team isn't thinking it through. We have holes, lot's of them. But a glaring one is Quarterback. No team is going to win a super bowl with one draft, the next year. And no team (usually) wins a super bowl without an upper tier quarterback. If we don't invest in a franchise quarterback in the draft by trading up to get the best one then we will more than likely not get one for a long, long time. We'll keep having seasons like this, where our pick just isn't quite high enough to get our guy, and we'll get other players that will play well for us, but we'll still be without a quarterback.

Personally I'd take my chances and go get the rookie QB now, so he can get out his growing pains the first year. The year in which he'll have low expectations, because we suck. Then the next draft or two we build up the team through the lines and whatever else we need and develop as a young, talented team. By then our Quarterback will have a few years of experience and we'll be much better poised to make a championship run, compared to not getting a top quarterback and drafting elsewhere.

Personally I'd take my chances and go get the rookie QB now, so he can get out his growing pains the first year. The year in which he'll have low expectations, because we suck. Then the next draft or two we build up the team through the lines and whatever else we need and develop as a young, talented team. By then our Quarterback will have a few years of experience and we'll be much better poised to make a championship run, compared to not getting a top quarterback and drafting elsewhere.

I think this is a good point when you think about it from Shanahan's perspective. He isn't a dumb guy. He knows he only has so long to turn the Skins into a contender before things start to turn on him. The biggest part of that, as can be seen in the consistently best teams around the league, is having a great franchise QB. I think he really wants to draft a young one to build around and he wants to do it sooner rather than later. He tried to trade up to get Bradford but the Rams were pretty much intent on taking him. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a bunch of smart moves for relatively YOUNG talent in FA (depending on the agreements, we will be WAY under the cap and that is even before releasing some people) to help shore up other positions and then trade up to get Luck.

:applause::applause::applause:

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

We need to pick NT or OL or trade way the heck down.

Mark Ingram may be the only non DT/OL pick that would make any sense in first round for this team.

A backfield of Ingram/Torain/Williams would not look too bad AS LONG AS OL IS ADDRESSED WITH 3 NEW STARTERS IN FA/DRAFT.

The last position Shanny would probably draft in round 1 is RB. With the zbs running properly, you do to need to pay a first rounder to run it. Better to use first round picks for something else. Solidifying the line or QB position should be a top priority.

Even though I don't think Shanahan was ever the right guy to hire it is a good thing that we know he's going to eventually get us the franchise QB that we have needed here since who, Theismann? It's been a while.

I really don't expect it to be Rex Grossman next year or the future of the team anyway, maybe he will start next year with us going after a rookie but you know Shanahan is going to get somebody who can start.

Forget the Luck or nothing non sense. Ryan Mallet anyone? He's going to be a great pro! I would almost rather have Mallet. I would even consider Scam Newton(so what if I'm a bitter game**** fan?) But I am not a fan of Jake locker. That guy has bust written all over him. There is much more talent in this upcoming draft at qb than most years. Id be happy with any of the first 3 qb's on the board.

Forget the Luck or nothing non sense. Ryan Mallet anyone? He's going to be a great pro! I would almost rather have Mallet. I would even consider Scam Newton(so what if I'm a bitter game**** fan?) But I am not a fan of Jake locker. That guy has bust written all over him. There is much more talent in this upcoming draft at qb than most years. Id be happy with any of the first 3 qb's on the board.

Rather have Mallett than Luck? Are you high? Mallet has slow/sloppy footwork, an elongated release, an excellent supporting cast, and has had work ethic issues in the past; there are also questions about his intelligence and whether he would be able to handle the complexities of an NFL offense. The only real thing he has that is interesting is a cannon for an arm. Pass.

• 2 weeks later...

I said ALMOST, and its mostly due to what we would have to give up to get luck compared to mallet. Mallet has loads of potential and I would love to have him as my franchise QB. Look at his numbers compared to luck and look at the conference that he plays football in. I personally think the only thing that separates luck from mallet is his mobility. And im confident that if players like vince young and big ben can handle an nfl playbook then mallet will be alright, he just might have to sit a year.

Personally I'd take my chances and go get the rookie QB now

Careful...

David Carr QB Houston Texans 1 overall (1st round) 2002

Cade McNown QB Chicago Bears 12 overall (1st round) 1999

Joey Harrington QB Detroit Lions 3 overall (1st round) 2002

Akili Smith QB Cincinnati Bengals 3 overall (1st round) 1999

Tim Couch QB Cleveland Browns 1 overall (1st round) 1999

Ryan Leaf QB San Diego Chargers 2 overall (1st round) 1998

Archived