Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Serious Question: Is baby powder safe to ingest?

Bootleg

joeknows, um, I'm not sure what you said about humidity is correct. More humidity makes it harder for our sweat to evaporate, and evaporation is the part of sweating that cools us off. The harder it is for our sweat to evaporate, the less of a cooling effect sweat has, which makes our bodies sweat even more in an attempt to create a larger "amount" of evaporation.

This might be the most absurd thread in a long time.

In an attempt to answer the original question in a legitimate way, here goes... It is probably entirely safe to swallow baby powder. It is NOT safe to inhale large amounts of it. One of the principal functions of talcum powder is to absorb liquid (hence the idea of sprinkling it on sweaty bits). It causes a big osmotic shift, drawing fluids from exposed tissues. It wouldn't be a big deal if it caused more liquid to accumulate in your intestines, but it would be in your lungs. There are many reports of infants dying from inhaling large amounts of it. Google "talcum powder aspiration." I remember learning how to recognize it on x-rays in my pediatrics training. I'm not aware of any reports of adults inhaling a lot of it, but I certainly wouldn't try it. Just take a shower, for goodness sake.

first off to answer one guys question about drinking piss.... no it isnt dangerous so long as it is from the source or kept sterile. urine is sterile when leaving the body. in fact i saw survivor man save his own urin in a snake skin while he was in the desert and he drank it later. sure he gagged because of what it was but it sure beat the hell out of dying of thirst.

I'm 99% sure that was Bear Grylls. He killed a snake, pulled the skin off, ate the meat, peed in the snakeskin, drank his pee, then said something about snake innards and pee was not tasty.

joeknows, um, I'm not sure what you said about humidity is correct. More humidity makes it harder for our sweat to evaporate, and evaporation is the part of sweating that cools us off. The harder it is for our sweat to evaporate, the less of a cooling effect sweat has, which makes our bodies sweat even more in an attempt to create a larger "amount" of evaporation.

lol ... i live in one of the most humid places in the country... i know EXACTLY what i am speaking of. our relative humidity in this area during the summer is ALWAYS over 90%. the reason you feel like you are sweating more is because the sweat you do have doesnt evaporate.

i know what you are saying makes sense, but in the 30 years i have lived in this area that is my experience on the matter.

lol ... i live in one of the most humid places in the country... i know EXACTLY what i am speaking of. our relative humidity in this area during the summer is ALWAYS over 90%. the reason you feel like you are sweating more is because the sweat you do have doesnt evaporate.

i know what you are saying makes sense, but in the 30 years i have lived in this area that is my experience on the matter.

So, seeing as my entire post specifically addressed what happens when sweat doesn't evaporate, and was ironically based entirely on the fact that sweat doesn't evaporate very efficiently in humid climates, please explain why you're laughing.

"This is my experience" doesn't exactly hold much water against science. (Oh look, it's an H2O pun.)

---------- Post added December-12th-2010 at 02:20 AM ----------

Yeah, the whole "doesn't evaporate" thing is kind of what I'm getting at.

Do you know what the purpose of sweating is? Why warm-blooded animals sweat?

So, seeing as my entire post specifically addressed what happens when sweat doesn't evaporate, and was ironically based entirely on the fact that sweat doesn't evaporate very efficiently in humid climates, please explain why you're laughing.

"This is my experience" doesn't exactly hold much water against science. (Oh look, it's an H2O pun.)

---------- Post added December-12th-2010 at 02:20 AM ----------

Yeah, the whole "doesn't evaporate" thing is kind of what I'm getting at.

Do you know what the purpose of sweating is? Why warm-blooded animals sweat?

YOU WERE RIGHT I WAS WRONG. yes i understand the point of sweating... i was wrong and i am man enough to admit it.... my apologies...

Archived