Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LandryHat:Cowboys Currently Sit With The Number 8 Pick In 2010 NFL Draft

tr1

http://thelandryhat.com/2010/12/07/cowboys-currently-sit-with-the-number-8-pick-in-2010-nfl-draft/

AUTHOR: Josh Sanchez

The latest calculations which take team record and strength of schedule into account have determined the current 2010 NFL draft order through week 13. As it stands now, the Dallas Cowboys would hold the eighth overall pick in the first-round following their win over the Indianapolis Colts. Prior to this week, Dallas had the number six spot.

The current top five in order is Carolina, Detroit, Cincinnati, Buffalo, and Arizona. Just falling short of the top five are Denver Broncos and San Francisco 49ers at pick 6 and 7, respectively. Up next are our Dallas Cowboys with the Redskins and Titans rounding out the top ten.

As Dallas has improved under interim coach Jason Garrett, their draft position has begun to slide away from the top. At pick six just last week, the Cowboys sat in prime position to pick up one of the top cornerbacks in this year’s class — Patrick Peterson of LSU or Nebraska’s Prince Amukamara. Now it seems that Dallas will have to look at other options.

With the top corners likely off of the board at this point Dallas would be forced to address other needs. Does that mean offensive line? How about defensive line or even a potential franchise quarterback?

Where Dallas sits now, the best value would be at defensive line with a guy like Marcell Dareus or Da’Quan Bowers — perhaps North Carolina’s Robert Quinn would still be available.

Dallas would need to win a few more games to end the season and pick around the middle of the first-round to get good value at offensive line. If they pick around the middle of the round, a guy like Anthony Castonzo from Boston College, Gabe Carimi of Wisconsin, or Colorado’s Nate Solder would be excellent choices.

Outside of defensive line, cornerback, and offensive line, there is another position that would provide interesting scenarios. Dallas could have a shot at the likes of Ryan Mallett, Jake Locker, or Cam Newton when they are on the clock. Could Dallas pull the trigger on one of these potential franchise quarterbacks and groom them under Romo sits to pee for a few years like Green Bay did with Aaron Rodgers?

Mallett would be the most intriguing quarterback outside of Andrew Luck, but I could see some outcry from the fanbase if Jerry Jones was to go for a signal-caller.

What would you think if the team took a quarterback in the first-round and what do you think is the best option where the Cowboys currently sit in the draft order? Sound off in the comments section!

---------- Post added December-8th-2010 at 10:23 AM ----------

Keep hoping for wins, puke fans.

Each win makes your brilliant GM's job that much more difficult. When he gets out of the top ten, there are no Cliff Notes he can consult...

:rotflmao:

Id love to see a "long list" of quality mid-level 1st rounders for anyone..........or any FO for that matter.
I wouldn't be questioning others' talent evaluation skills if I were you. Just a couple of months ago you dismissed out of hand my suggestion that the Giants were just as talented as any of the supposed NFC title contenders like Dallas and Minnesota. I'm curious where you stand on that opinion now.

But will Jerruh actually take an O-Lineman that high? lol :D...

:) We all know the answer to that one ;)

From most mock draft's that I have seen, most of the guys falling in between the 8-12 range are guys like Locker, Da'Quan Bowers, Julio Jones, Adrian Clayborn, Ingram, Blackmon, Akeem Ayers, Marcell Dareus.

I could see us drafting a Dareus, Bowers, Clayborn or Ayers. Igor Olshanky/Marcus Spears are starting material but nothing amazing. I give Dareus the nod because of playing the same system at Alabama. He can do either or in the 3-4. If we decide to keep Spears he can play the run stuffer on the opposite side. Or if we lose Spears to FA, then we can put Dareus into the more pass rushing side End and leave Igor as the run stuffer on the opposite side.

Akeem Ayers is a freak of nature who I would love to have. Even though we are loaded at the OLB position, Spencers' spot should not be safe.

What I would hope for is a few more wins for Dallas and a guy like Aaron Williams (Texas) or Anthony Castonzo (BC) has a monster combine and we can draft them and fill a need.

As you can tell, I enjoy the offseason more then the regular season lol

I wouldn't be questioning others' talent evaluation skills if I were you. Just a couple of months ago you dismissed out of hand my suggestion that the Giants were just as talented as any of the supposed NFC title contenders like Dallas and Minnesota. I'm curious where you stand on that opinion now.

Giants have proved me wrong, by being a very good team, as in how it was built.....No one has done a better job then them with back ups. I tip my hat and eat my crow.....

I am not questioning anyone's talents in drafting and "talent evaluating"....just saying, that drafting in the NFL in the first round is very hit and miss for even the best of em.......which Dallas is not.

My original comment in this thread was questioning why a member would post that the Skins FO and GM is so much better then what Dallas.

BigBlue....your G-men have more talent then Minny and Dallas in the area's we dont see.......and i credit the FO for that.

Giants have proved me wrong, by being a very good team, as in how it was built.....No one has done a better job then them with back ups. I tip my hat and eat my crow.....

I am not questioning anyone's talents in drafting and "talent evaluating"....just saying, that drafting in the NFL in the first round is very hit and miss for even the best of em.......which Dallas is not.

My original comment in this thread was questioning why a member would post that the Skins FO and GM is so much better then what Dallas.

BigBlue....your G-men have more talent then Minny and Dallas in the area's we dont see.......and i credit the FO for that.

Times 2.

New York and New England do it better then anybody else in the NFL. They pick up guys like Derek Hagan, Danny Woodhead, Brandon Tate and make them into play makers.

No, MY post was in response to someone suggesting that there is no difference between what Jerruh could do with a mid-1st round pick and what Shanahan could do with it, so we Skins fans should be hoping for more losses as well right alongside Cowboys fans.

I didn't agree. And that's because over the last 4 years (since Parcells left) the Cowboys' GM:

- has ignored the O-Line in the 1st and 2nd round...

- has not found any true "1st-round-quality" players in the 1st round over the last 4 drafts, with the possible exception of Dez Bryant...Felix Jones and Mike Jenkins don't qualify imo.

- has seemed into the marketing possibilities of high draft picks as much as anything else

- has pulled off some draft day head-scratchers in terms of draft pick trades

I can understand why someone would not trust Jerruh's 1st round picks outside of the top 10...hell, in the 1st two rounds for that matter lol...by comparison, in his last 4 drafts Shanahan drafted Cutler and Clady in one of the spots that the Cowboys might end up having if they keep winning. I'm not exactly a Jay Cutler fan lol...but the guy has his team on a 5-game winning streak, are 11-3 in their last 14 games, has thrown 25 TDs to just 11 INTs over that timespan, and he has severely cut down on his INTs this season.

No, MY post was in response to someone suggesting that there is no difference between what Jerruh could do with a mid-1st round pick and what Shanahan could do with it, so we Skins fans should be hoping for more losses as well right alongside Cowboys fans.

I didn't agree. And that's because over the last 4 years (since Parcells left) the Cowboys' GM:

- has ignored the O-Line in the 1st and 2nd round...

- has not found any true "1st-round-quality" players in the 1st round over the last 4 drafts, with the possible exception of Dez Bryant...Felix Jones and Mike Jenkins don't qualify imo.

- has seemed into the marketing possibilities of high draft picks as much as anything else

- has pulled off some draft day head-scratchers in terms of draft pick trades

I can understand why someone would not trust Jerruh's 1st round picks outside of the top 10...hell, in the 1st two rounds for that matter lol...by comparison, in his last 4 drafts Shanahan drafted Cutler and Clady in one of the spots that the Cowboys might end up having if they keep winning. I'm not exactly a Jay Cutler fan lol...but the guy has his team on a 5-game winning streak, are 11-3 in their last 14 games, has thrown 25 TDs to just 11 INTs over that timespan, and he has severely cut down on his INTs this season.

I got you Cali........I feel what your saying.

I bet it drives you crazy how much "in love" Shanny was with Romo sits to pee..........huh?

Aw man. It's no fun when you admit you're wrong.
As much as I hate everything about the Cowboys, even I can admit only a blind man couldn't see that guy's talent. There are no qualifiers necessary; Dez was definitely worthy of a first round pick. Truth be told, I don't see much of a difference in talent level between him and Trent Williams. Or JPP, maybe even Brandon Graham. With the 4th pick in the NFL draft, I'm not convinced Shanahan even came away with the best player drafted in the division.

I got you Cali........I feel what your saying.

I bet it drives you crazy how much "in love" Shanny was with Romo sits to pee..........huh?

No, not at all lol...I actually could care less about that. If anything, it tells me he has a decent eye for QBs. I wouldn't have minded at ALL if we snagged Romo sits to pee as an undrafted free agent and had Shanahan as our coach. And if we had, he probably wouldn't have been as hyped as he's been :ols:...and Shanahan probably would have benched him at numerous points in his career so far. ;)

---------- Post added December-8th-2010 at 02:29 PM ----------

As much as I hate everything about the Cowboys, even I can admit only a blind man couldn't see that guy's talent. There are no qualifiers necessary; Dez was definitely worthy of a first round pick. Truth be told, I don't see much of a difference in talent level between him and Trent Williams. Or JPP, maybe even Brandon Graham. With the 4th pick in the NFL draft, I'm not convinced Shanahan even came away with the best player drafted in the division.

Sorry, but I almost always take the "wait and see" approach with rookies...I've even taken it with Trent Williams. Having talent is a given for 99% of 1st round draft picks...hell, Devin Thomas has talent lol :ols:...If Bryant ends up constantly injured, I wouldn't be claiming he was worth a 1st round draft pick regardless of the talent level. And if any of his injuries slow down his production I definitely won't be saying that.

Consistency is more important than talent in my eyes...work ethic, dedication, football knowledge, they're all more important than talent. Will Bryant show that consistency, that dedication and work ethic, gain that football knowledge, over the next 3-4 years? We'll see. But feel free to dismiss my hesitation as unnecessary if you like lol...I've been hesitant on Barber and Felix Jones as well while everyone else was telling me how much of a "beast" both players are. I think I prefer my method ;)...

I like the current skins FO better than the current puke FO. Assuming JJ stays in control and has a say in who gets drafted that will not change.

I thought the skins had a good off season considering what was available in FA and their lack of draft choices. You could argue bringing in McNabb and not using the second round pick to improve the team was a risky move, but you can't fault them for trying to put a good product on the field.

The Giants do draft well, but I want to see the Patriots without their HOF QB. He makes the team better and hides mistakes.

And, I really hope the skins play the Giants well at home their next game because I don't think the Giants are as good as people in this thread are giving them credit for. Not saying they are not good, but they will lose in the playoffs.

Archived