Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The more I watch Cam Newton the more I see him being Jason Campbell

kiingspadee

Honestly, I think Jason is more likely to win a superbowl than Cam Newton. I do agree Newton is the better athlete from what we've seen in college. However, anyone who says they won because of Cadillac & Brown without giving Campbell any credit for that undefeated season is just misinformed. Campbell was SEC player of the year and set some passing records. In anycase, given what Campbell is doing with the Raiders this year, I see them making the playoffs.

They won't make the playoffs. They are two games back of KC with 4 to play and they have 0 chance of getting a wild card.

LOL. Cam Newton reminds Jason Campbell of Jason Campbell.

Or he could just be talking about a QB from the same college, and both of them making plays on the run. I don't see anything in that quote where JC says the two are similar, rather he just references him making plays with his feet as well.

Agreed. I think we'll see a team like Arizona take a flier on him...and regret the decision.

Are you saying this just because he is a spread quarterback?

As much as I have supported JC, there is no comparison. I never saw Jason truck over an All American LB like he was a 175 lb. defensive back. I never saw Jason drag an All American LB 7 yards into the endzone. And the defensive backs? Newton juked a bunch of them out of their jock straps or side stepped them completely. I never saw Jason take the team on his shoulders and come from behind in 8 out of 13 games. Several games being double digits as high as 24 points. Auburn's running game was good this year but Newton didn't have Williams and Brown back there.

Newton just passed Brennan's record for Highest Passing Effiency with a 188.16. Of course, we see how that turned out for Brennan BUT Newton is 6'6" and 250 lbs. Big difference. He also runs 4.42 in the 40 yard dash.

Newton is the first SEC player to ever have over 2000 yards passing and 1000 rushing in the same year. He had broken most of Tebow's records with several games left to play.

Newton is as far the opposite from Campbell in personality as a person can get. He has the "it" everybody talks about. He's verbal and constantly smiling. He hasn't had any off the field issues since Florida. He said that painting the bleachers for an entire summer at Blinn College made him grow up.

So far as his mechanics. No sidearm throws like Brennan. This is from the blog of a Montgomery Advertiser sports writer.

"The thing that impresses me most about Cam Newton is how diligently he’s worked to improve him mechanics. He had an odd motion when the season began. He has so much arm strength and that was enough to get him by in junior college. Gus Malzahn clearly has made a point to streamline Newton’s throwing motion and emphasize the need to step into throws.

Here’s an animation I built from pictures taken yesterday (SEC Championship). This is from before the game. I wish I had been taking these kinds of pictures early in the season because, well, he was doing weird things with his legs back then. You’ll have to settle for the after pictures here."

He gets out on his front foot. He gets his body moving toward the target. He has a proper follow-through. Newton still has an odd hitch between when he pulls the ball back and when he begins moving forward, but I’ve seen other college guys (ie Tim Couch) thrive with much more noticeable oddities. Newton looks like a real quarterback now. Making these kinds of adjustments at 22 years old isn’t easy. It requires diligence and a belief in your coach."

16knqd1.gif

Newton is also ten times the leader Campbell is.

Newton reminds me more of Michael Vick than he does Jason Campbell. Except he'll be a better leader than Vick was in the early stages.

Newton is an energetic guy...

I like him. I don't know how he'll translate to the pros. But I really do like him as a prospect.

This is pretty much what I think, though obviously the guy isn't in Vick's athletic category, but he's definitely closer to that than he is to Campbell.

I like him, don't know if he'll be a good pro, but he really really really really reminds me of Dante Culpepper, more than anyone else.

I'd say he's a mix of Culpepper and Vick, actually.

I didn't see the Culpepper at first, or didn't think of it, but now that it's been mentioned I see where people are drawing that comparison...

Newton is 6'6" 250 pounds.

Culpepper is 6'4" 260 pounds.

Mike Vick is 6'0" 215 pounds.

Size wise, Newton is a lot closer to Culpepper. Although with a pro strength program, he could probably hit the same weight and still be taller.

Athletically, Newton is closer to Vick than he is Culpepper, although Vick is still faster.

Newton has a great arm, as did both of those guys. Newton's mechanics are pretty good.

I don't know. I may be the San Diego Chargers to Ryan Leaf here, but I think whoever takes Newton is going to get a hell of a football player the more I watch him.

That said, everyone is wrong sometimes, so I could be wrong, as mentioned :ols:

But I'll own that. I think Newton is going to be a player in the NFL.

I'd say he's a mix of Culpepper and Vick, actually.

I think, like Culpepper, he's going to need some great WRs to really be successful. OL won't be as important for him as having two really great WRs, for his style of game, because teams will have to respect his scrambling ability to a point, and having an outlet receiver (back or TE) will be critical for him (much like McNabb in Philly). And, unlike Vick, he won't be able to rely solely on his scrambling ability, but it will definitely be more of an issue for opponents than Culpepper's.

I really think he's going to be a solid guy, especially if he ends up with a team that's set at WR (ie Arizona, Miami, San Fran), whereas I think if he goes to a place without great WRs, he's going to have a very very hard time (Minnesota, Carolina, Tennessee).

I think, like Culpepper, he's going to need some great WRs to really be successful. OL won't be as important for him as having two really great WRs, for his style of game, because teams will have to respect his scrambling ability to a point, and having an outlet receiver (back or TE) will be critical for him (much like McNabb in Philly). And, unlike Vick, he won't be able to rely solely on his scrambling ability, but it will definitely be more of an issue for opponents than Culpepper's.

I really think he's going to be a solid guy, especially if he ends up with a team that's set at WR (ie Arizona, Miami, San Fran), whereas I think if he goes to a place without great WRs, he's going to have a very very hard time (Minnesota, Carolina, Tennessee).

To be fair, Minnesota's got Rice and Harvin.

And Tennessee's got Britt. Who knows if they'll re-sign Moss.

Although, I just don't see Tennessee taking Newton, not after the VY fiasco. I know personality-wise, they aren't alike at all (it seems), but ability-wise....the comparisons might just be too painful.

I know some people LOVED VY as a prospect, not knowing that he was a headcase, obviously.

Anyone care to do a VY vs. Cam Newton analysis, in terms of them as prospects coming out of college?

T

Although, I just don't see Tennessee taking Newton, not after the VY fiasco. I know personality-wise, they aren't alike at all (it seems), but ability-wise....the comparisons might just be too painful.

Jeff Fisher's son Trent is a walk-on at Auburn. His daughter also goes to school at Auburn. If he selects Cam during the draft, it may be because he has gotten to know him personally and is comfortable that he isn't a headcase like Young.

CBS' mock draft has Newton going to Tennessee. But he might not last that long, Walter's has him going to Minnesota.

---------- Post added December-7th-2010 at 07:23 PM ----------

*Miss.St should feel pretty stupid for low balling his dad Cam was worth every penny

That's sort of what Charles Barkley said "First of all I don't know what happened about that, but if that guy only asked for $200K for Cam Newton they should fire him anyway." :silly:

I understand why you compare Newton to Young, but you do realize that Young is 30-17 as an NFL starter. I know his numbers and QB rating aren't pretty, but all he does is win, which is more than can be said for Campbell, who's record as a starter is 24-34.

I don't know about you, but I'd take Campbell back in a heartbeat over VY. That kid is a total joke as a football player and a man.

Archived