Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is missing from the Ring of Fame?

Cambl2Moss

I never have quite gotten how Ryp get's so overlooked by Redskin fans, yet someone like Doug Williams is looked upon in awe. Ryp had two real good season's, '89 and '91, and 3 average one's. Doug had a miraculous quarter in a SB.

And that's not to slight Williams, who holds his own special niche in Redskin's lore.

Just a personal thang, but I've yet to see any QB from any era through a prettier, more accurate deep ball than the Cannuck. No way am I saying Ryp's up there with the all time greats, but his deep ball was an aesthetic thing of pure beauty.

Hail.

I forgot what game it was, some 6-7 yrs ago, but Madden was still doing his bit in the booth; I don't even think it was the Skins playing that game, but whoever the QB was, he was having a sweet game, and I remember Madden commenting on the QB, saying the QB has such a good deep throw, it reminded him of Rypien back in the 90's. That says alot for the guy, being it was that long ago, and it made a good impression on Madden of Ryp's abilities.

"Sprint Bomb"...I'm gettin' a chub thinking about it...lol

Good to see some love for Ryp. He is a glaring ommission for me.

I think there should be an automatic trigger. You in the HOF for what you did with the Redskins, you're in. You coach a world Champion, you're in. You win SB MVP for the team, you're in. You end your Redskin career in the top 3-5 in multiple career catagories, you're in. You play 150 games or more for the Redskins, you're in.

Coaching a title team is a great accomplishment. Barry Switzer is an anomoly. Most coaches do deserve credit for their team winning the championship.

Super Bowl MVP means you delivered in the biggest game.

Finishing your career in the top 3 or so means that you were one of the most productive players ever at your position in team history and this is even more true if you are still in the top 3 to 5 after being gone for many years.

You play 150 games or more means you were here for a long time and were valuable enough to see playing time be it on offense, defense or special teams. Longevity with the team should count for something.

So based on that criteria, here are some names of coaches/players that should be in:

Hall of Famers who have been so far snubbed by the Redskins: Turk Edwards, Ray Flaherty,

Coach: Ray Flaherty again (how he is not in is a joke)

Super Bowl MVP: Mark Rypien

Top 3 or so player on multiple career lists:

-Clinton Portis (2nd in rushing yards, attempts, touchdowns)

-Stephen Davis (4th in rushing yards and attempts, 3rd in touchdowns)

150 or more games played:

-Monte Coleman 215

-Don Warren 193

-Jeff Bostic 184

-Mike Bragg 172

-George Starke 156

-Neal Olkewicz 150

So after these guys are put in there, then you can add guys as you see fit. Such as Chris Samuels who no question in my mind belongs in there.

"Coach: Ray Flaherty again (how he is not in is a joke)"

This. Flaherty has THE highest winning percentage among Redskins coaches. Yes, that's right. Higher than Gibbs or Allen. He also lead the team to 4 division titles and 2 world championships. Plus, the man is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The likes of Monte Coleman certainly deserve to be in the ring; but don't you think this is an even bigger omission?

"Coach: Ray Flaherty again (how he is not in is a joke)"

This. Flaherty has THE highest winning percentage among Redskins coaches. Yes, that's right. Higher than Gibbs or Allen. He also lead the team to 4 division titles and 2 world championships. Plus, the man is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The likes of Monte Coleman certainly deserve to be in the ring; but don't you think this is an even bigger omission?

I saw Ryp play and saw the Super Bowl run so I get more personally offended by his omission (especially with Doug Williams in) than I do with Ray Flaherty. But again that is only because Ryp is from my era. No question in terms of value to the team and historically important person to this franchise, Ray Flaherty blows away anyone who is not in the ROF and frankly blows away most of the people who are in the ROF. So you and I are in agreement that Flaherty should be in, like yesterday.

I saw Ryp play and saw the Super Bowl run so I get more personally offended by his omission (especially with Doug Williams in) than I do with Ray Flaherty. But again that is only because Ryp is from my era. No question in terms of value to the team and historically important person to this franchise, Ray Flaherty blows away anyone who is not in the ROF and frankly blows away most of the people who are in the ROF. So you and I are in agreement that Flaherty should be in, like yesterday.

I don't think I saw your post from yesterday. I had a busy day yesterday; so if you commented on it, I missed it. Didn't mean to be repetitive. :D

Good to see some love for Ryp. He is a glaring ommission for me.

I think there should be an automatic trigger. You in the HOF for what you did with the Redskins, you're in. You coach a world Champion, you're in. You win SB MVP for the team, you're in. You end your Redskin career in the top 3-5 in multiple career catagories, you're in. You play 150 games or more for the Redskins, you're in.

Coaching a title team is a great accomplishment. Barry Switzer is an anomoly. Most coaches do deserve credit for their team winning the championship.

Super Bowl MVP means you delivered in the biggest game.

Finishing your career in the top 3 or so means that you were one of the most productive players ever at your position in team history and this is even more true if you are still in the top 3 to 5 after being gone for many years.

You play 150 games or more means you were here for a long time and were valuable enough to see playing time be it on offense, defense or special teams. Longevity with the team should count for something.

So based on that criteria, here are some names of coaches/players that should be in:

Hall of Famers who have been so far snubbed by the Redskins: Turk Edwards, Ray Flaherty,

Coach: Ray Flaherty again (how he is not in is a joke)

Super Bowl MVP: Mark Rypien

Top 3 or so player on multiple career lists:

-Clinton Portis (2nd in rushing yards, attempts, touchdowns)

-Stephen Davis (4th in rushing yards and attempts, 3rd in touchdowns)

150 or more games played:

-Monte Coleman 215

-Don Warren 193

-Jeff Bostic 184

-Mike Bragg 172

-George Starke 156

-Neal Olkewicz 150

So after these guys are put in there, then you can add guys as you see fit. Such as Chris Samuels who no question in my mind belongs in there.

:applause: Well done Scruffy, but you STILL left out Joe Bugel. ;) If you're gonna put the Head Hog in (Starke) then you GOTTA have the Boss Hog.

Archived