Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best way to move?

Hubbs

BJ's, Costco and Sams have been a good source for free boxes, not sure if they still give them away. Also, if you know anyone who works in an office that goes throught a lot of paper, those boxes are super for moving because they are clean and have a top that sits down on the box instead of having to fold the flaps and tape them. Offices toss those boxes by the dozen.

This is what zoony was warning against: http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Boxes

This thread may prove useful as well: http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?231170-All-Things-Boxing

Been there. done that.

If you can, anything that you can fit into your vehicle, take them if you ever visit the new digs. If you have the key, that's even better as you can come and go as you please, each time with a vehicle full of things needed.

Be cautious with this one, unless you have a truck or suv.

Do it on occasion if you're heading over that way before the big move, but don't leave anything for after the big move. Your car holds much less than you'd expect. After the 20th trip you'll be cursing yourself for not just moving it all at once in the truck. Unless it's expensive or valuable, just wait and move it all at once.

We got lucky as our removalist supplied boxes, and dropped them off two weeks before the move. We packed everything that needed to be packed, and just left the heavy stuff for them.

Moving day, and they were ready to go just before 8am. They loaded up the truck, and I went off to meet them at the new house. 11.30am, and it was all unloaded, and they had the rest of the day off. The boss man was happy as he was able to bill for the whole day, and his crew were happy as they were getting paid for the whole day. It cost us nothing as the Government paid for the move (a forced re-location as our old house was marked for demolition).

Be cautious with this one, unless you have a truck or suv.

Do it on occasion if you're heading over that way before the big move, but don't leave anything for after the big move. Your car holds much less than you'd expect. After the 20th trip you'll be cursing yourself for not just moving it all at once in the truck. Unless it's expensive or valuable, just wait and move it all at once.

We did it in a Hyundai 3-door hatchback! Then again, we only moved across the other side of the river, or one suburb away.

Restaurants are also a good place to get free boxes.

But I like the plastic bin idea. http://www.walmart.com/browse/Storage-Organization/Plastic-Containers/_/N-8xfpZaq90Zaqce/Ne-2p4i?browsein=true&ic=48_0&ref=125874.416581&tab_value=172608_All&waRef=125874.125874+125874.183499+125874.416581&path=0%3A4044&catNavId=90828&fromPageCatId=90828

I leave all of my hanging clothes on the hanger and use lawn trash bags to cover them. That way you can pack them in the moving truck or in your car, but don't have to re-hang or iron them.

Archived