Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is everyone ready to bow down and recognize the greatness which is the Philadelphia Eagles

Westbrook36

That secondary of yours sucks hard.

I agree. It is going to be tough to go on a run in the playoffs with the secondary how they are now. I keep hoping they are simply going to outscore teams but that usually doesn't work in the playoffs. We'll see. We'll all be watching.

---------- Post added December-20th-2010 at 03:28 PM ----------

That being said, I was pleased with Jamar Chaney. The Giants run attack was stifled and he had 16 tackles, 12 solo, a FF and 2 TFL. He did get beat once in coverage but overall looked great. Not bad for the first start of his life. He didn't look overwhelmed like Gaither did when he started.

1/2 of it does, I agree. Samuel is very good, Mikell is adequate

Mikell needs to make that tackle to save a TD. For a SS, that ranks among one of the worst.

I've said that I don't think this defense has what it takes to succeed in the postseason, and I stand by that. Miracles don't come every game.

I get that you don't like Vick, but saying that the Skins didn't sign Vick because they have standards is pretty laughable. The Skins were dying to get VJackson from the Chargers. Larry Johnson. Sean Taylor. Albert Haynesworth. Fred Smoot. Chad Rinehart. Kili Lefotu. Dana Stubblefield.

None of which were convicted felons.

Don't forget that Patterson dropped an easy INT right before the FG before the half which became another 7 points. The secondary simply isn't good enough. The only hope is turnovers. The Eagles have given up the most pass TDs in team history but also have 23 INTs. In a one game scenario, 2 INTs are huge. But, like dock said, teams with glaring weaknesses like that don't win come playoff time. Ryan would carve this defense up at home.

Don't forget that Patterson dropped an easy INT right before the FG before the half which became another 7 points. The secondary simply isn't good enough. The only hope is turnovers. The Eagles have given up the most pass TDs in team history but also have 23 INTs. In a one game scenario, 2 INTs are huge. But, like dock said, teams with glaring weaknesses like that don't win come playoff time. Ryan would carve this defense up at home.

In the playoffs, you're going to face competent qbs who will eat up the dbs.

Your only hope is to score more points...30 or more.

tr1, all bravado aside, I agree with you 100 percent. The defense has a rookie 7th round MLB, and undrafted FA CB, and a 7th round FS......all starting. The injuries have killed them.

They have come back 4 out of the last 5 weeks in the 4th quarter to win games; i.e. outscore the opponent. One day, Vick's magic is going to run out. If not, it will be a historic run to the championship. Realistically, it's not going to happen. I'm still hoping for a 2 seed. A week of rest cures a lot of team wrongs.

Mikell needs to make that tackle to save a TD. For a SS, that ranks among one of the worst.

I've said that I don't think this defense has what it takes to succeed in the postseason, and I stand by that. Miracles don't come every game.

True, but if some how, some way, they wrest the #2 from Chicago, they will most likely be playing either NYG, NO, GB, CHI or TB. IMO, the Giants are the toughest of those teams, as they're the most balanced. NO is a good offensive team, but in Philly in January, I'd go with Eagles. Same with TB or Chicago.

Curious if AR traded Sheldon Brown away with the thought that this would be a rebuilding year, only to realize a few games in that he could be very competitive with Vick. Have to think Brown would make them significantly better. Shoot, Hobbs, less the Britt-plosion, would make them better.

I really also wonder whether this is just a new NFL. Yes D is important, but there are very few shut-down defenses. Now it's about scoring points. Look at SB. IMO, that was won with NO offense just dominating the time of possession and never letting Manning on the field. The three best defenses, as I see them (NYG, GB and PITT) all have issues with possibly not making the playoffs and have issues on the other side of the ball.

Now quit FREAKING raining on my parade. I want to enjoy this win because that type of win won't happen for another 32 years (2010-1978) according to statistics.

PF

*rewatching PR highlight*

Sigh. Yes, they won. No, actually, they killed the Eagles. That is the fear of Eagles fans I was alluding to in the post.

Oh ok, fair enough. I actually went back and read that in the earlier posts after I wrote that and got it. At least you don't have to worry about the Cowboys winning the playoff game the next week too ;)

I get that you don't like Vick, but saying that the Skins didn't sign Vick because they have standards is pretty laughable. The Skins were dying to get VJackson from the Chargers. Larry Johnson. Sean Taylor. Albert Haynesworth. Fred Smoot. Chad Rinehart. Kili Lefotu. Dana Stubblefield.

Do you honestly think Shanahan would not take Vick RIGHT NOW? Seriously? Most teams didn't take him b/c they: a) didn't think he would be able to play effectively, B) didn't want to endure the PR hit, or c) both. I can guarantee you that if he were not resigned after the season, there would be at least 10-12 teams clamoring for him, with the Skins most likely being one of them.

Hate the fans, hate the team, hate vick, but don't act like the Skins are above taking players with past crimes/issues.

And, as a side note, we Eagle fans are crazy if we're bragging about getting the #2 seed. We have a long way to go before that happens, IMO.

Not agreeing with you, though you have some point about character. Wasn't happy to see us get LJ, and said I was glad when he left. Taylor turned his life around.

Will Vick? I just don't get that impression. From the way Vick acts, to his supporters lying about his involvement, to the sadistic nature of what Vick did.

Along with killing underperforming pit bulls, a government informant told investigators that Vick twice placed family pets into the ring with pit bulls because he and his cohorts 'thought it was funny to watch the pit bulls...injure or kill the other dogs.' Purnell Peace, who was convicted along with Vick, told federal agents how he, Vick, and a third man had to drown one dog after it did not die when they tried to hang the animal. After Vick agreed last year to plead guilty to a conspiracy charge, he was interviewed by federal agents and claimed that he 'never actually killed a dog,' though he admitted watching his friends hang, shoot, and electrocute pit bulls. But after failing an October 2007 FBI polygraph test 'as it related to the killings of the dogs,' Vick recanted his denial and 'admitted taking part in the actual hanging of the dogs.'

I really don't see how a normal human being does that to pets. I'm talking about the pits and the other dogs.

And I don't see how a guy could root for a team that adopted Vick.

I really don't see how a normal human being does that to pets. I'm talking about the pits and the other dogs.

I'm not getting into the debate regarding his killing/torturing of dogs. I understand your point, I also think dogfighting, and all that is associated with it, was/is a disgusting "sport". My point has been that he has admitted to his crimes, accepted his punishment, served his punishment, walked the path that was laid out for him by those he had to please (Justice system, Goodell, Reid, financial courts, etc.) and by all intents and purposes, seems to be someone that took control of his life. Yes he had to get caught, convicted and punished for that to happen, but I've accepted his story that he is, and has, changed and have forgiven (not that he asked me) him for his past actions.

Yes he had to get caught, convicted and punished for that to happen, but I've accepted his story that he is, and has, changed and have forgiven (not that he asked me) him for his past actions.

I think you have more faith in people than I do. He has something in him that told him it was OK do do those things. That's probably still there, to some extent. All that's going on now is PR support from his attorneys and publicists. I mean, he probably changed a little, but part of him I would bet my life savings thinks he got a raw deal.

See, I get where your coming from but I just can't agree with it. I guess we're of two different minds.

What vick did was despicable and wrong. I don't agree with it. But in my opinion, I've seen players do much worse. Watching Ray Lewis dance around his murder conviction, to me, is so much worse. Or Stallworth's decision to drive drunk, which ended up in another loss of life.

A big reason why I feel stronger about those incidents is because they were both given a comparative slap on the wrist. Lewis paid his way out of trouble and Stallworth did 30 days in jail. Very light consequences compared to vick and they both go on with their careers with very little public scrutiny.

Vick broke the law and paid a massive price but people will never forget and he will have to live with the consequences and the stigma for the rest of his life. Some will forgive him, some won't, but nobody will ever forget.

Is it fair? You might think so but I don't. People call him a heartless psychopath but I don't agree with that either. I just don't see the slaughter of dogs as an indication of mental stability. He wasn't killing them for no reason. Like it or not, legal or not, they were killed for a reason. The same reason that PETA kills thousands of dogs every year. He's not a crazy person, just an idiot.

I can forgive an idiot, as long as they learn from their mistakes

People slaughter dogs all over the world. For food, for sport or even less. Putting dogs on a pedestal is a western thing. Vick broke the law, but he wasn't doing anything psychopathic or insane. Please don't throw those words around lightly. Save them for the next charles manson or john wayne gacey, not vick

Vick broke the law, but he wasn't doing anything psychopathic or insane. Please don't throw those words around lightly. Save them for the next charles manson or john wayne gacey, not vick
I'd agree to disagree with you on that. It's something to consider when his name comes up. The dog torturing wasn't just a one-time thing with Vick. One thing is, what Vick did is the kind of stuff you hear serial killers did as a child. He was an adult (at least adult age). The link I gave proves, he didn't do it because it was necessary, or for food, Vick did it for "fun". "Psychopath" fits Vick perfectly.

Yeah, Stallworth hit a guy that hopped a median on a highway. He might have still killed him even if he wasn't drunk. Plus, he took full responsibility for what he knew was against the law and extremely dangerous.

Vick just lied about everything to authorities, the media, even straight to Arthur Blanks face. And yes, I think torturing dogs is sociopathic behavior. Callous, lack of empathy. Irresponsible. No impulse control. Pathological lying. Yeah, Vick has all that.

I think you have more faith in people than I do. He has something in him that told him it was OK do do those things. That's probably still there, to some extent. All that's going on now is PR support from his attorneys and publicists. I mean, he probably changed a little, but part of him I would bet my life savings thinks he got a raw deal.

I grew up as a country boy. I hunted/fished/trapped when I was young, and remember having a trap line when I was in 8th grade, that I had to go check before I went to school. IMO, there isn't much that is more inhumane than trapping, based on our current societal "rules" regarding animal cruelty. My point is, I had no problem with it because in the environment I grew up in, it was not only legal, but wasn't considered a big deal. In a similar sense, I think Vick participated in dog fighting as that was a part of his environment when he was younger. Yes it was illegal, but it's obvious his upbringing wasn't the best, and due to his celebrity status, he was never pushed by those in authority over him to straighten his life out.

Just so people don't think I'm only jumping on the Vick bandwagon now, I thought the "ban-for-life" cry after he was sent to prison was ridiculous, and I still struggle with understanding why people think he should not be allowed to play again. Maybe if he was a Cowboy or a Skin, I'd be able to understand it better. :)

---------- Post added December-20th-2010 at 02:49 PM ----------

Yeah, Stallworth hit a guy that hopped a median on a highway. He might have still killed him even if he wasn't drunk. Plus, he took full responsibility for what he knew was against the law and extremely dangerous.

Vick just lied about everything to authorities, the media, even straight to Arthur Blanks face. And yes, I think torturing dogs is sociopathic behavior. Callous, lack of empathy. Irresponsible. No impulse control. Pathological lying. Yeah, Vick has all that.

Serious question: Do you consider all those that participate in dog fighting, ****-fighting, etc. sociopaths? Reason I ask is at one time these were Saturday night entertainment, and people accepted these as every day life practices.

Serious question: Do you consider all those that participate in dog fighting, ****-fighting, etc. sociopaths? Reason I ask is at one time these were Saturday night entertainment, and people accepted these as every day life practices.

There is a difference between being a participant and being a spectator. The people that watch dogs die is one level. The ones that do the killing themselves are another entirely.

I'd agree to disagree with you on that. It's something to consider when his name comes up. The dog torturing wasn't just a one-time thing with Vick. One thing is, what Vick did is the kind of stuff you hear serial killers did as a child. He was an adult (at least adult age). The link I gave proves, he didn't do it because it was necessary, or for food, Vick did it for "fun". "Psychopath" fits Vick perfectly.

We're going to have to agree to disagree and leave it there. But like I said, vick will be living with the fallout of his actions forever. Other people in the NFL, not so much. And thats the real travesty, in my opinion. I just don't see the dog aspect as that big of a deal. (unfortunately) I spent some time in a few asian countries where I saw much worse things happen to dogs by very normal people. I think about what would happen if they were in America...would you call them psychopaths too?

Take an american farmer to india. Would he be a psychopath for slaughtering their sacred animal, a cow? By your definition, he very well would be. That's why I don't think you can apply the label to vick. Try as you might, you just cant draw any parallel between vick and a true clinically diagnosed psychopath like jeffrey dahmer. As much as you might hate the guy, you just can't do it

---------- Post added December-20th-2010 at 03:57 PM ----------

And Lewis?

You seem very quick to make excuses for people. Can you not see why others do the same for vick?

(unfortunately) I spent some time in a few asian countries where I saw much worse things happen to dogs by very normal people. I think about what would happen if they were in America...would you call them psychopaths too?

Take an american farmer to india. Would he be a psychopath for slaughtering their sacred animal, a cow? By your definition, he very well would be.?

If they were inflicting pain on the animal just for "fun", yes they would be psychopaths. You would agree with this, right?

Why don't we stop talking about Michael Vick and talk about the Eagles. Vick is just one part of the Eagles. A big part, yes he is but there is one guy on that team that has just as much value or more value than Vick. It's LeSean McCoy. Lets face it, if he hasn't been the productive back he's been all season, they're the one dimensional team that gave them an early exit to last years postseason. Focusing now on what this thread is about. Yes, the Eagles are a great team this year. They choke every year in the playoffs and it wasn't just McNabb. How about the defense the whole first half of the NFC championship against the Cardinals. The Eagles will choke again, just like every year. It's only a matter of time. The Giants can beat them just as easily as they can beat the Giants, we saw it yesterday with the Giants dominating the first half and Eagles dominating the last half of the 4th quarter. If they play, it will be another great game. If they survive that, they;ll most likely play Atlanta, in Atlanta. That'll be an emotional game for Vick so Eagles fans better hope that doesn't get the best of him. If they get past that and make it to the Super Bowl. The AFC is loaded with top notch defenses better than the Giants D we saw yesterday for 3/4 of the game. Or you get Tom Brady who puts points up basically whenever he wants (last night was not the real Patriots). Once again, the Eagles are great, but they by no means will win this years super bowl.

Honestly, if that team were wearing just about any other uniform I'd root for them.

Not a Giants, Cowboys or Pats uniform but honestly just about anyone else.

The Eagles are an extremely exciting team to watch on offense. The bashing of DeSean Jackson is laughable. Vick is an incredible athlete and is the most dangerous weapon in the NFL. The off the field stuff aside, which really should have its own thread in the Tailgate, he's phenomenal.

The rest of the receivers and LeSean McCoy aren't exactly slouches either. It makes me ill, but this team is young and talented and is going to be in the playoffs for years to come.

Archived