Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Psssst...it's Garrett's offense that's the problem...

tr1

I'm not sure if you knew about the Burgundy Revolution we had as Redskins Fans, but our owner got the message and changed his whole approach to owning the team. Perhaps you folks in Dallas need a Silver Revolution.

That will never, ever happen with Dallas.

I think Snyder's mind was more or less already made up as to what he wanted to do before the "fan revolt" even took place. There have been similar types of revolts by the fans of the Raiders and Lions, and it led nowhere until the owners themselves had reached the conclusions on their own. And in the Raiders case nothing actually changed...same coach, same "GM", etc, etc. Jerruh will have to reach some point internally where he wants to change the structure of the Cowboys, and that internal line-crossing (so to speak) will occur before there's any fan-organized demonstration of their anger and frustration. And with Jones, I just don't see that happening anytime soon lol :D...

Since I'm a Dallas fan I would expect nothing less than this form of criticism. What I post doesn't embarrass me in any way... so please, continue the insults.

If you think I'm "excusing Dallas", then I'll just say it. Despite certain bright spots on our roster (like D-Ware and Bryant), we have a stupid and poorly motivated team that bought into the hype that was built over the off-season. You can doubt me all you want, but it's not going to affect me. :)

Your roster is Cerratoized. You have big flashy stars in several areas, big-splash WR draft pick (who is good) and major trade (who is awful). A great pass-rusher in Ware that gives you the flashy big-play sacks. You have flashy, high-reputation corners. The result of those big moves for the name guys is gaping holes in other areas, specifically OL and S. The Cowboys safties are awful. The offensive line is terrible.

Instead of taking Felix Jones in 2008, perhaps Duane Brown would have been a better pick. Perhaps instead of taking Dez Bryant, maybe move back a bit and get Roger Saffold. Picking luxury players like Jones and Bryant when you have an aging and overrated offensive line and other gaping holes is CLASSIC Vinny Cerrato.

Your roster is Cerratoized. You have big flashy stars in several areas, big-splash WR draft pick (who is good) and major trade (who is awful). A great pass-rusher in Ware that gives you the flashy big-play sacks. You have flashy, high-reputation corners. The result of those big moves for the name guys is gaping holes in other areas, specifically OL and S. The Cowboys safties are awful. The offensive line is terrible.

Instead of taking Felix Jones in 2008, perhaps Duane Brown would have been a better pick. Perhaps instead of taking Dez Bryant, maybe move back a bit and get Roger Saffold. Picking luxury players like Jones and Bryant when you have an aging and overrated offensive line and other gaping holes is CLASSIC Vinny Cerrato.

+1 - any GM worth his salt should know that building a football team is not like fantasy football, and Jerruh should be especially aware of this because of the framework of the Dallas teams of the 90s - one of the best offensive lines in recent history. The OL was a major strength with that team. This, coupled with the fact that he still devalues coaching has led this team to where it is right now - staring at the number one overall draft pick.

I know that question wasn't for me but I hope you don't mind if I give my theory. I think they bought into the hype. Coming from the press, coming from Jerry, coming from them playing in the Super Bowl in their home stadium. And Wade Phillips, as much as he defines greatness, was unable to reel them back in (hell he might have bought into it himself). So they didn't practice as hard as they should, they didn't prepare, they didn't pay attention to the details (causing the penalties). Then they faced a little adversity and rather then rallying the troops in the face of it and motivating or forcing them to step up, Wade and Jerry made excuses. Now it's too late and they're completely deflated. They've quit. I think a top 5 pick is a lock at this point. I also expect some real drama to come out of the locker room any week now. Some real Lord of the Flies type ****.

That doesn't mean Wade Phillips should be fired though :)

[/b]

I somewhat disagree with you. Until last week, I didn't see any quit in the Cowboys. They weren't winning games, but it wasn't for lack of effort. Sure they were stupid with penalties and turnovers, but the Cowboys under Wade have always been stupid. It's never sunk their season like this. The Cowboys really just aren't that good. The one who was guilty of being blinded by the hype was Jerry Jones.

The problem started in 2009. The Cowboys 11-5 record and wild card playoff win were deceiving. They weren't any better than the other top 2 team in the NFCE. Dallas got swept by the Giants and were fortunate that the Eagles were so banged up. The only real difference between the Cowboys and Giants' regular seasons last year was that the Giants had to play the Vikings(12-4) and Cardinals(10-6) while the Cowboys got the Bears(7-9) and Seahawks(5-11). Switch those around and there's a good chance it's the Giants who go to the playoffs while Dallas watches from home.

But Jones bought into the hype and thought the Cowboys were good enough, while everyone else in the NFC tried to improve. Look at the Cowboys in-conference losses this year. The Redskins added McNabb and improved their entire coaching staff (or at least tried to). The Bears added the biggest name FA from the offseason, Julius Peppers. Although they eventually gave up on him, even the Vikings added Randy Moss. The Giants made Rolle, briefly, the highest paid safety in the league and added two injured former All-pros in Shawn Andrews and Keith Bulluck. That's the reason the Cowboys keep losing. The conference left them behind while Jones just twiddled his thumbs.

+1 - any GM worth his salt should know that building a football team is not like fantasy football, and Jerruh should be especially aware of this because of the framework of the Dallas teams of the 90s - one of the best offensive lines in recent history. The OL was a major strength with that team. This, coupled with the fact that he still devalues coaching has led this team to where it is right now - staring at the number one overall draft pick.

And the worst part is, there are no glaring elite O-linemen this year so far. There's no Okung or Silverback that can start and perform immediately...Nor is there an Eric Berry/Earl Thomas at safety...

With the looming labor strife, I think moving back is going to be damned near impossible. There are 2 very good corners though, a WR (who I would kill for), and a QB...Flashy, flashy, flashy! :)

I agree with most of what you said. We definitely could've picked a GOOD O-Linemen in '08 instead of Jones, with that year having a deep RB class we probably would've gotten a good RB in the 2nd round anyway. The 2010 R1 pick of Dez was too good to pass up on, IMO. Besides, we didn't want to have another Randy Moss debacle again... :P

[/b]

I somewhat disagree with you. Until last week, I didn't see any quit in the Cowboys. They weren't winning games, but it wasn't for lack of effort. Sure they were stupid with penalties and turnovers, but the Cowboys under Wade have always been stupid. It's never sunk their season like this. The Cowboys really just aren't that good. The one who was guilty of being blinded by the hype was Jerry Jones.

This is the truth of the matter. It's only made more funny by the insistence of the media and some stubborn/ignorant dallas fans. DonCherry sees it though. No team as talented as dallas is supposed to be wins just one game halfway through the season hype or no hype. Play calling certainly exacerbates the situation but calling run plays when your rb is gonna get demolished 3 yards deep in your back field is worthless.

At this point no one is calling garret a genius, but the talent level of very important units for dallas is simply sub-par. As a matter of fact, the main issue dallas is having is the same issue the Skins are having, namely lack of a solid unit at o-line.

Where Washington has prevailed that dallas hasn't is that the Skins defense has been forcing turnovers, penalties, and scoring on their own. The Skins have only lost the turnover battle in one of their games. As a matter of fact, Washington is tied for second at +8 for turnover differential. Dallas is 26th at -5. There is certainly stupid play in dallas, but again, if they were as talented as billed they would be able to overcome at least some of it and have won more than one game.

The situation in dallas in my estimation falls as such

1) talent

2) stupid play/coaching

3) heart

And #3 is the hardest to fix. What dallas fans don't want to admit is that this has been an issue even going back to Parcells, adding the pillsbury doughboy only made it worse. Talent will win you games galore, ask San Diego. But if you want to actually contend for a title, your team has to have heart. The team in dallas is not only not as talented as billed, but even at the best of times they give up when they face adversity. And this season has definitely been tough for them, and now you are seeing them quit. I for one hope none of the personnel changes. Down to the assistant water boy. I hope Jerry keeps running the draft, I hope wade stays, and I hope the line and leadership of that team remains wholly intact. But I realize that unfortunately for me and the rest of the fans of NFC East teams this is not very probable.

The 2010 R1 pick of Dez was too good to pass up on, IMO. Besides, we didn't want to have another Randy Moss debacle again... :P

If you have a problem on the line, and there's a good lineman in the draft, you take the lineman. Period. Otherwise you end up with tons of "talent" at receiver, running back, quarterback, tight end, but no way to get them the ball. You can make mediocre players look like world beaters if you have a good line. Who cares if you have a player upset or holding a grudge because you didn't draft him? According to almost every pundit, the Cowboys were already set at WR, so that was an unnecessary pick. Just Jerruh trying to boost his fantasy rating, or give his team the best chance to win...

in Madden.

I'm not sure if you knew about the Burgundy Revolution we had as Redskins Fans, but our owner got the message and changed his whole approach to owning the team. Perhaps you folks in Dallas need a Silver Revolution.
Cowboy's problem has always been Romo sits to pee and lack of coaching, Wade to be specific.

I agree with most of what you said. We definitely could've picked a GOOD O-Linemen in '08 instead of Jones, with that year having a deep RB class we probably would've gotten a good RB in the 2nd round anyway. The 2010 R1 pick of Dez was too good to pass up on, IMO. Besides, we didn't want to have another Randy Moss debacle again... :P

Yeah, good call...instead you have a 2009 Redskins debacle on your hands :)

Archived