Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

goal line stands

joeknows

so im watching the game as i can at work the other day. i was watching with a bears fan when chicago had the ball right at the goal line.....

i confidently walked away to do my job .... but not before saying that we had it covered.... my friend snickered and said yeah right.....

i returned mere moments later after checking on things and he was kinda pale and silent.... he couldnt believe what he had seen.....

so we had a discussion about the merits of the redskins defense. there have been multiple discussions here..... and there is currently a thread about dink and dunk approach to attacking our defense.

it seems to me that yes we give up a lot of yards going down the field but as the other teams compress our defense against the goal line things get tougher. and that i believe is the reason we have been able to hold quality offenses to relatively low points...

how many goal lines stands have we won this year? admittedly i cant remember when and against whom but it seems that this one this weekened was the 3rd or 4th this season.....?

I do not know the exact number either, but we cerrtainly seem to be doing well with goal-line defense, although I am not so confident that I would say "we have it covered" and walk away from the TV in those situations. Now that Albert Haynesworth is making a contribution, we may even be able to improve in that area. Hopefully the trend continues.

Very Interesting, I had one of my friends over (huge Cowpukes fan) and I told him as well, "we step up in these short yardage situations and we'll stop them and make them kick a FG" better than that we made them fumble....

HTTR!!!

IMHO, it's because we have our linemen playing in their natural positions or closer to the line in goal line situations and conversely we are getting gashed yardage-wise by having linemen playing LB's in open space.

You can see when we have the "big heavies" loading up the line of scrimmage, we control that line and have the opposition moving backwards. I am optimistic about the 3-4 when we have the right personnel but right now, I'd say if we use our linemen correctly, let them get after the QB and be more aggressive in run situations, we will see much less of a necessity for goal line stands.

For whatever reason, the Skins have always had a legit goal line package.. I bet we'll start seeing alot more passing, rather than runs, against us when teams are 1st and goal from now on.. But that close to the ezone it's a no brainer to play press/man-man, so even the quick stuff isnt a guarantee..

so im watching the game as i can at work the other day. i was watching with a bears fan when chicago had the ball right at the goal line.....

i confidently walked away to do my job .... but not before saying that we had it covered.... my friend snickered and said yeah right.....

i returned mere moments later after checking on things and he was kinda pale and silent.... he couldnt believe what he had seen.....

so we had a discussion about the merits of the redskins defense. there have been multiple discussions here..... and there is currently a thread about dink and dunk approach to attacking our defense.

it seems to me that yes we give up a lot of yards going down the field but as the other teams compress our defense against the goal line things get tougher. and that i believe is the reason we have been able to hold quality offenses to relatively low points...

how many goal lines stands have we won this year? admittedly i cant remember when and against whom but it seems that this one this weekened was the 3rd or 4th this season.....?

I can't believe you would walk away when we about to make a goaline stand, or for any other play.

I can never miss a single play in any game, then again, if it is your job on the line that is a different story

I can't believe you would walk away when we about to make a goaline stand, or for any other play.

I can never miss a single play in any game, then again, if it is your job on the line that is a different story

yeah.... but i had been watching long enough..... didnt wanna get fired for loafing lol...... i told them i needed sundays of though lol

Lets not get ****y here. That was a touchdown and the replay clearly shows that.

I'm not sure I'd be saying how great our Goal Line D is when it was a touchdown, just a bad call.

that was merely the pendulum of justice swinging in our favor..... we have taken so many bad calls this year and through the last few that ill take this one .... smile..... and move on.... just like all those bad non calls last week..... no call..... no touchdown!

besides either way ..... our goal line defense has been great this year

it's because we're daring teams to dink & dunk on us & preventing big plays at all costs.

we have given up a few (mostly on big runs though, getting caught with the blitz....it happens), but mostly our defense is set up to rush the passer, giving him less time for intermediate routes, we protect the flats with the backers, & SS on most downs, & keep the secondary deep. (almost never bump-n-run like we used to in man-man. in fact...i can't remember the last time i saw our primary CB's less than 7 yards away on anything other than short yardage situations.)

we keep getting hit with 7-14 yard strikes & some YAC...but we're not getting beat for many yards on the flats, screens or 15+ yard passing routes. we've played a few great QB's who are adept at being patient with their gameplan & tend to not force the issue (in fact Cutler was the most impatient QB we've faced so far & you saw how that went), & we don't get pressure on the QB in quick enough bursts to warrant press coverage on most occasions.....we will get beat.

all in all...i think our gameplan is utilizing the end zone as a sort of 12th defender. if they get a bunch of yards...so be it. but once the area becomes compressed...we've shown that our schemes & our personnel are more than capable of excelling with the fear of the big play being negated.

so far it's working....& i kind of like it. i don't like that our D is on the field a bit...but if we can keep our run game going in the right direction........we should be able to counteract that significantly.

i especially like the turnovers that we've been creating & the overall frustration we've created for the opposition by teasing them & then shutting them down. it's been relatively easy to see the frustration on the opposition's faces....might i also say it's been very gratifying?

Skins goalline is probably the best in football. Remember the Browns game 2 years ago? They got a penalty on 4th down, giving them 8 downs and they still failed?

actually i do remember that..... of course i am pretty sure that was a top 10 defense that year .....but yeah that was pretty sweet

it's because we're daring teams to dink & dunk on us & preventing big plays at all costs.

we have given up a few (mostly on big runs though, getting caught with the blitz....it happens), but mostly our defense is set up to rush the passer, giving him less time for intermediate routes, we protect the flats with the backers, & SS on most downs, & keep the secondary deep. (almost never bump-n-run like we used to in man-man. in fact...i can't remember the last time i saw our primary CB's less than 7 yards away on anything other than short yardage situations.)

we keep getting hit with 7-14 yard strikes & some YAC...but we're not getting beat for many yards on the flats, screens or 15+ yard passing routes. we've played a few great QB's who are adept at being patient with their gameplan & tend to not force the issue (in fact Cutler was the most impatient QB we've faced so far & you saw how that went), & we don't get pressure on the QB in quick enough bursts to warrant press coverage on most occasions.....we will get beat.

all in all...i think our gameplan is utilizing the end zone as a sort of 12th defender. if they get a bunch of yards...so be it. but once the area becomes compressed...we've shown that our schemes & our personnel are more than capable of excelling with the fear of the big play being negated.

so far it's working....& i kind of like it. i don't like that our D is on the field a bit...but if we can keep our run game going in the right direction........we should be able to counteract that significantly.

i especially like the turnovers that we've been creating & the overall frustration we've created for the opposition by teasing them & then shutting them down. it's been relatively easy to see the frustration on the opposition's faces....might i also say it's been very gratifying?

I really do not think that giving up all those yards are designed. Whether it is a big play or sustained drives, it will come back to haunt us if we keep giving up yardage at a record pace and this is why Fletcher was so frustrated.

I agree that we have played some very good QB's but IMO, you do not plan to let them pick us apart hoping to stop them once they get close to the end zone because then we have 90+ yards to go in order to score.

Even Cutler was driving too easily at certain points of the Bears game and we made Bradford look a little too good for a rookie in the Rams game.

When Haynesworth is available ...PLAY HIM OFTEN.... for now on because he is the difference in a under 3.0 ypc rushing game vs 7.0+ ypc and can get after the passer. I don't buy the "square peg" suggestion by coach Haslett...He is our best d-lineman so we should let him do what he does best as often as possible with Kemoeatu adjusting and playing the other D-tackle. Also Carter is being misused, we HAVE to get him in that QBs face at DE..Carriker, Haynesworth, Kemo and Carter would be a very viable D-line until we get the necessary players in order to play a 3-4.

Archived