Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

does 2010 = 2005 all over again?

Brandon Lloyd Christmas

Well according to this website http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp07/news/story?id=2959620

Calvin Johnson is not going anywhere anytime soon, why would Detroit trade their best offensive weapon now when he's young and just starting to reach his prime?

Especially given that the NFC North will really be in transition next year. Seems 2011 will be good chance for Detroit to get into the mix.

Especially given that the NFC North will really be in transition next year. Seems 2011 will be good chance for Detroit to get into the mix.

Bingo Detroit is building a great team they are using those top 5 picks to good use now and getting high quality players. Johnson and Detroit will be in the mix to win that division next year all Detroit needs is a CB and a LT and they'll be in great shape

He was talking like he wanted out last offseason. I wouldn't mind trading a pick for a young HUNGRY stud.

Players talk like that all the time and usually its BS. Remember, he is a competitor and the Lions had just come off one of the worst two season stretches in league history. About this time in his rookie year was the last time the team was even mediocre.

Detroit is building a team pretty fast, I understand not wanting to play on a losing team but look at that team and tell me that you don't think that in 2 years when he's at his full potential that the Lions aren't competing for a division title. They have a lot of what you need to be successful, Young Franchise QB, Stud WR, 2 headed running attack, Young talented TE, Potential All-Pro DT, Talented players who are starting to come into their own. They are going to fix this team and Mayhew is a great GM. If I were Johnson I personally wouldn't leave I would stay in Detroit looking at what is being done there. Also it would cost the farm again put yourself in Detroit's shoes, your top player wants out and you want the most for him, would you just let him walk for a 1st round pick. No you want multiple top picks for him a lot like Denver got from Chicago for Cutler

Don't think they'll have to wait two years unless we don't have a season next year. I think that given the state of flux the NFC North will be in next year, they'll likely be competing for it by then.

2005 was different because, even though we won the first 2, there was very little cause for optimism. We had already had a QB switch already (back to Brunell) and aside from the two prayers, the offense looked like the same crap that we had in 2004. But after the Dallas win, we had a bye, and to this day I think the team worked out some things, and from then on the offense looked completely different. The injury to David Patten in the Tampa game really hurt us that season.

This year we are also winning the turnover battle big time, something which I don't remember us doing in 2005, at least through the first seven games.

That game is unique, but we earned this year's game against Dallas more so than we did in 2005's game at Dallas. We controlled this year's game while Dallas dominated the 2005 game in Big D.

Edit: Oh, and the Monday Night Miracle is the Jets/Dolphins game. I think this one is called the Midnight Miracle.

Miracle at Midnight actually.

He doesn't want to be in loser land. I honestly don't think we would have to trade the house for him. Johnson, Moss, Armstrong, Cooley, Davis would solidify the WR corp. If Kelly comes on great if not he gets axed.

That allows us to shift our focus completely to O-line, D-line, & LB

Clearly I'm not a GM but I would think CJ is going to take a first + a player or mid round pick. We're talking about a guy that was the #3 pick (they surely want a return on that) and is coming into his prime. These just spent first round picks on a QB and RB. They're trying to build their trio here, why give part of it away?

It really doesn't matter if he wants to be there or not. He's under contract and has no leverage. He gets a ton of looks every game, is usually playing from behind, and gets to play inside. It's really not a bad situation for a WR. I'd love CJ in the B&G but I don't see it happening without some sort of Vinny-esque trade package.

Archived