Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TBD.com: Mike Shanahan: Devin Thomas was no Anthony Armstrong

Oldskool

Moot point now, but this is on the contrary to what Jason Reid has been reporting the past week......

I stopped reading after the above. Jason Reid is the most Redskin hating reporter that we have had here since JLC. I think they're joined at the hip.

As bad as the QB play is in Carolina, no one will be able to tell that he can't run routes.

LOL....so true. I really hope he has a bright career in Carolina. Hopefully, he can learn the value of hard work and dedication. Good luck Mr. Thomas. Remember to grab a Red Bull before any and all meetings. ;)

I stopped reading after the above. Jason Reid is the most Redskin hating reporter that we have had here since JLC. I think they're joined at the hip.

Thing is, it's not really contradictory. I don't think anyone--including MS--has ever said that DT does everything bad or wrong. But that doesn't mean he's doing enough, either.

Moot point now, but this is on the contrary to what Jason Reid has been reporting the past week. His recent RI article states Shanahan didn't like Thomas' "showboating" in practice when he made big plays. But it's quite alright for Laron to showboat after every tackle, Moss to do his "shimmy" after every catch, or DHall to come out and say "he doesn't give a **** what the coach says."

Dude, the rest of Reid's article tells the whole story. Shanahan didn't LIKE it because, unlike ALL of his teammates, DT did it in PRACTICE on a regular basis! What kind of ***** is talking **** at his teammates in all the time in practice? That's ******* juvenile. I mean it's bad enough in games, but in PRACTICE? (Que Allen Iverson).

And even Moss' interview yesterday made it sound like DT had some issues to deal with and growing up to do.

Moot point now, but this is on the contrary to what Jason Reid has been reporting the past week. His recent RI article states Shanahan didn't like Thomas' "showboating" in practice when he made big plays. But it's quite alright for Laron to showboat after every tackle, Moss to do his "shimmy" after every catch, or DHall to come out and say "he doesn't give a **** what the coach says." He's going to cover who he wants. Jason Reid also said last week on 106.7 that he had to spoken to players and people within the organization who stated "DT has been working hard and done everything the coaches have asked of him"

I'm not buying the "not being a professional" answer for why DT was cut. I think there was something personal going on between them. Everything I've heard reported outside of what Shanny says contradicts what he has said. Oh well, it's over now. Good luck to DT with Carolina.

As for the sleeping picture, Anthony Armstrong admitted on the Junkies last week he's fallen asleep in meetings before. He says pretty much everyone has fallen asleep at one time or another in meetings. So I wouldn't put too much stock into that one picture of DT.

If Devin has been thrown under the bus then he will have the opportunity to prove his distracting forces wrong. The guy is tough and fast but I have to give the coaching staff the edge on this one. Talent has to be channeled with desire and maybe one of those two traits was missing.

I really wish Devin the best and hope he puts it all on the line in Carolina. It won't be easy from this moment on for him.

Sigh....

In his press conference today, Shanahan said that "different people have different definitions of 'hard work,'" so I'd go by his definition, rather than others. He also said that "hard work" occurs throughout the year, not just during the season and during practices, and involves full commitment off the field.

The guy spent time with Ocho Cinco in the offseason. He went to the Hell Week in Arizone with McNabb. He came out to the mini camps and OTAs. He showed up to Training Camp in great shape. So I'm not sure where the lack of dedication in the offseason shows here.

So, when you're an underachieving third year player on the bubble, it's probably not a good idea to start an acting career and appear in music videos.

The guy did one music video during the offseason. How long does it take to shoot a music video? Days? Weeks? Months? The guy was probably in for a day, shot his part, and was out. I don't get why it is made out like the dude spent all offseason distracted doing everything except getting ready for the season. I'm pretty sure she pursued him for the part, so it wasn't like he was out looking for roles in music videos.

My biggest problem with the situation is it seems like Shanahan keeps bul****ting at every turn. Anything personnel related seems like a lie. You don't want to reveal injury information, or who's playing in what packages for strategic reasons, understandable. But it seems to me when anyone questions anything personnel related, it's all bull****. Just come out and say it. The fans heard nothing but lies for the last 10 years. A little honesty would be nice.

Let's be realistic here.

Devin Thomas would not have been cut if he were a premiere talent at WR.

Even if he had been a bit of a prima donna, if he were a young Terrell Owens in the making he would have seen the field and Shanahan would have worked with him.

But Thomas made this easy. He was behind receivers with less physical talent because he lacked the 'want to'.

At the end of the day the Redskins tried to find a trade for Thomas but there were no takers.

The team was able to trade Jason Campbell and Justin Tryon to other clubs, but Thomas drew no interest.

In the end he signed with the Carolina Panthers, perhaps the worst team in the NFL.

The Panthers just lost on Sunday to a team in Chicago whose quarterback went 6 for 16 for 32 yards and 4 interceptions.

I guess the DT supporters missed or choose not to read the quote about AA knowing all 3 WR's spots! That is huge for a wr maybe if DT had studied and learned just like AA he could of got time on the field as well but oh well good luck in Carolina!

Dude, everyone gets how AA beat out DT, but Roydell Williams and Galloway? Over the next few seasons I know who I would place my money on making some highlight reels between Galloway, Roydell Williams and DT.

Good luck DT.

So, when you're an underachieving third year player on the bubble, it's probably not a good idea to start an acting career and appear in music videos.

Except that he probably didn't think that he was on the bubble. He ended last season as a starter. The position wasn't exactly greatly improved in the offseason.

I also think that in many ways he did seem to get the message. He did shut down his web site and his twitter account. He put in some extra work in the offseason with Ochocinco and McNabb. He seemed to work hard in camp and in the games. But, considering what Shanahan said, it sounded like the damage was done and there was little Thomas could do to make up whatever hole he was in. He talked about Thomas having a great offseason next year to rebuild things.

BTW, it must be a punch in the gut where a backup fullback that barely sees the field is higher on the cut list than you are.

On the flip side, Shanahan really likes Malcolm Kelly and they are both very upset they will be missing him this year.

I really think Kelly has a chance to stay next year if he stays healthy. Shanny has loved him since day 1.

I loved him since I saw his highlight clip in college. He's the guy who I really think could be something if he could get past his injury bug. Thomas would have been a bonus for me.

The guy spent time with Ocho Cinco in the offseason. He went to the Hell Week in Arizone with McNabb. He came out to the mini camps and OTAs. He showed up to Training Camp in great shape. So I'm not sure where the lack of dedication in the offseason shows here.

The guy did one music video during the offseason. How long does it take to shoot a music video? Days? Weeks? Months? The guy was probably in for a day, shot his part, and was out. I don't get why it is made out like the dude spent all offseason distracted doing everything except getting ready for the season. I'm pretty sure she pursued him for the part, so it wasn't like he was out looking for roles in music videos.

My biggest problem with the situation is it seems like Shanahan keeps bul****ting at every turn. Anything personnel related seems like a lie. You don't want to reveal injury information, or who's playing in what packages for strategic reasons, understandable. But it seems to me when anyone questions anything personnel related, it's all bull****. Just come out and say it. The fans heard nothing but lies for the last 10 years. A little honesty would be nice.

• I’m not sure I’d cite spending time with Ocho Cino to support your argument that he worked hard.

• Hell Week….lasted a week. The offseason is longer than a week.

• He came to the mini-camps and OTA’s, like everyone else, other than one player. Also, just because he attended, doesn’t mean he did his best or enough.

• So I’m not sure what the above three really prove.

As for your points about Shanahan, I’m not sure what to say, other than the best coaches are almost never honest in the press, except for that goofball Jim Zorn, who would spend 15 minutes discussing the physics of a player’s sprained ankle. He was actually honest in the press, which is why the media loved him, and why the fans loved him…until he started losing games. Good luck finding a successful, Super Bowl winning coach who caters to the press and fans in his press conferences. BTW, Joe Gibbs was one of the biggest bull****ters in NFL history. People made fun of his phrases, like, "they're some tough suckers, they fight their guts out," etc, but there was a method to his madness. Don't let his aw shucks persona fool you--he was the master at saying things without saying anything at all; he had this goofy language that sounded nice that didn't really mean anything and just served as fluff so he wouldn't have to say anything that might hurt the team. Do you really care about his press conferences and bull****ting to the press, or the fact that he won three SB trophies?

My guess is that DT's teammates didn't care much for the dude..

I remember getting this vibe last year, when Devin & DHall were pranking eachother and whatnot. DThomas was having fun but failed to realize that, to some extent, you HAVE to show respect to the older guys in the locker room. I believe Thomas brought Hall a wheel chair, if I'm remembering correctly? DHall doesn't seem like the type that might be ok with being the butt end of a joke... especially coming from DThomas.

Without your teammates respect, it doesn't matter how good you are..

I understand everything coach is saying in this piece. Sounds to me like he truly did like DT but he just didn't show enough dedication. I'm fine with that I guess. It just very hard to wrap my head around the fact that when he talks about we lost a RB, so we needed to sign another and to make room, DT was the next to go. The fact that he believes DT is really that much worse then R.Williams, or Joey G. I just have a tough time seeing that.

Archived