Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

You know what though?  Paul George might try and come here in free agency the summer of 2018.  I always figured he'd try and go to LA, but why would he do that?  The Lakers aren't any good and the Clippers are withering.  The image of him being so chummy with Wall and Beal after we beat his team stuck with me.  Paul George wants to play with them.

We could make it work.  Start Otto at PF and George at SF and use Kelly at the back up SG and SF spots and you will have a team with an unspeakably good group of wings curated by the best passing PG in basketball.  Just have to figure out how to work Paul George in under the cap.

6 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You know what though?  Paul George might try and come here in free agency the summer of 2018.  I always figured he'd try and go to LA, but why would he do that?  The Lakers aren't any good and the Clippers are withering.  The image of him being so chummy with Wall and Beal after we beat his team stuck with me.  Paul George wants to play with them.

We could make it work.  Start Otto at PF and George at SF and use Kelly at the back up SG and SF spots and you will have a team with an unspeakably good group of wings curated by the best passing PG in basketball.  Just have to figure out how to work Paul George in under the cap.

You wouldn't start George at the 4? Didn't he have like the best season of his career after that injury starting at the 4 and abusing slower guys? (Asking, not correcting btw)

I like the idea, and I'm pretty sure that's what Wall and Beal are going for. They have openly said multiple times that no one wanted to come here this off season cause they sucked and they both want to change that. I really feel that's part of the reason that play so hard. 

We don't need to bring Paul George in. Don't need a super team to compete. Just trade for a quality 2 way player off the bench to replace either the 2 or the 4 and draft a promising young player in the upcoming draft. 

The comments wall/beal made were before Otto turned into a max level player who is the best 3pt shooter in the league, with top 10 efficiency from everywhere without having to be featured in the game plan. We have 3 max level players who are perfect in their roles. The rest of the money should fill out quality role players, not 1 allstar. 

• Like 3

Yall tripping if you don't think you need a super team. Have you seen the competition? It's not going to get weaker from here. 

Wall Beal and Otto might get us there. But they would never win in a series against Curry, Clay, Green, Durrant and friends. They just don't have that kind of fire power guys, sorry. 

Bron Bron ain't just gonna sit around either. He's going to have 3+ superstars with him for the rest of his career. 

If we can pick up a guy like PG13 in free agency we would be crazy not to. 

I hate golden state and their broken allstar team. Why would I want that here? 

In in case you didn't know... No one is beating golden state the way they are constructed now. If the series is even close it would be a miracle, shady officiating, or injuries galore. Also, Lebron has had 3 Allstars on his team since he joined Miami. 

Edited by Skin'emAlive

8 hours ago, Llevron said:

You wouldn't start George at the 4? Didn't he have like the best season of his career after that injury starting at the 4 and abusing slower guys? (Asking, not correcting btw)

I like the idea, and I'm pretty sure that's what Wall and Beal are going for. They have openly said multiple times that no one wanted to come here this off season cause they sucked and they both want to change that. I really feel that's part of the reason that play so hard. 

I thought he came into the league as a SG and moved to SF after Granger went down and has been there since, but I looked it up and it says he played 40% of his minutes at PF last season.  For some reason I also had it in my head that he didn't like playing PF, but I could be wrong about that.

If it were between him and Otto at PF, I'd go with Otto.  I think Otto is taller and longer than him and he has more of a front court player's game.  He grew up playing center and only made the move to small forward once he got to Georgetown, and has been learning perimeter skills ever since.  The true core of his game--the rebounding and screening, the back to basket footwork, the off ball movement skills, the weak side shotblocking--that comes from his previous life as a center.  As he fills out his body and gets some bulk on his legs, I think he will naturally move to PF.

Meanwhile, George is an ideal SF.  He handles the ball and scores like Scottie Pippen and when he's locked in and playing with good help behind him, he is a terrific perimeter defender that can hang with quick perimeter ball handlers.  Otto is a strong defensive player too.  But his lack of lateral explosiveness limits his on ball defense, especially when he has to switch onto a guard.  

Today's NBA is also trending toward three wing line ups and championship caliber teams only need like three true bigs on their roster.  But they need a multitude of wings.  I think we'd absolutely be able to use PG and Otto together and we'd even be able to use both of them and Kelly Oubre in super small line ups.

16 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You know what though?  Paul George might try and come here in free agency the summer of 2018.

Since you're talking hypotheticals lol 

PG and Boogie are FAs in 2018... I don't think we could afford either of them with Porters pending contract. But if we could, which one would you want here?

34 minutes ago, MLSKINS said:

Since you're talking hypotheticals lol 

PG and Boogie are FAs in 2018... I don't think we could afford either of them with Porters pending contract. But if we could, which one would you want here?

Man, I don't know.  Either would be great.  Boogie would balance out the roster with a big, but I think Paul George is a winner and has a better attitude.

I'm not sure Boogie would like it here in DC.  He is a private person and doesn't handle the pressure of attention well.  If I give Paul George a huge contract, I am positive he's not going to flake out on me and kill my coach.  I wouldn't have that same trust in Boogie.

As far as affording their contract, I have no idea how we'd clear the cap space to do it.  Unless Otto gives us a sweetheart deal, he is going to cost a max deal this summer, which will probably be around 25 million per year.  We'll be into the luxury tax.  To clear room for Paul George to sign here in free agency, I'm pretty sure we'd have to dump Mahinmi and Gortat for expirings.  Definitely have to dump Nicholson and probably Jason Smith.  And we might have to deal Keef too.  Dumping Mahinmi and Gortat would get us most of the way there salary-wise, but then you've got no centers.  So that's an issue.  And if you had Paul George, I'd think you would want to keep Mahinmi.

The other way would be to trade for him, which would allow us to go way over the cap to keep him in free agency.  But the issue there is you have to give up some assets to get Indy to deal because they're going to be desperately trying to keep him.

So it's not super realistic to sign either of them without massively reshaping the team.  Unfortunately this isn't like Golden State's situation, where they had Steph and Klay and Draymond signed on pre cap jump deals, and the cap jump happened right as they needed the room to sign Durant.  We've got Beal and Porter on big post-jump deals.

But another factor to consider is that the cap is supposed to reach 130 something million by 2020.  Supposed to be between 102-108 million this summer, so if you figure it jumps 10 million to 116-118 million in the summer of 2018, then that would make signing Paul George easier.  Then maybe we could keep one of our centers, although that's still a reach.

• Like 1

I just can't see it. Would be nice, but I think we got our big three.

It's time to build through the draft. Gortat is 33, we have to start grooming a replacement for him. That should be priority number one this upcoming off-season to be honest with you.

I know it we're winning and are pretty hot right now, but when the team is this good, I know we could get better. Even knowing who the GM is, he's gotta realize that he has a good thing going and he's gotta find a way to elevate it and keep it going.

Probably can't do anything about it this year, but this off-season is going to be big for them.

6 hours ago, Llevron said:

Yall tripping if you don't think you need a super team. Have you seen the competition? It's not going to get weaker from here. 

Wall Beal and Otto might get us there. But they would never win in a series against Curry, Clay, Green, Durrant and friends. They just don't have that kind of fire power guys, sorry. 

Bron Bron ain't just gonna sit around either. He's going to have 3+ superstars with him for the rest of his career. 

If we can pick up a guy like PG13 in free agency we would be crazy not to. 

Durant's contract in Golden State is only for two years I believe before he can opt out. Wouldn't shock me at all if after 2 years of winning rings in Golden State, he sees his hometown Wizards getting to the conference finals and decides to be the hometown hero that puts us over the top and win a title and be a God for life in D.C. That's probably our best shot at a super team to be honest. But even then, if we max out(or close to max out)Porter, how could we afford him along with Wall and Beal? And its not the rest of the team is gonna be min. salary jabronis either.

Just now, TryTheBeal! said:

Wall tanked it.  He ain't got no time for that mess.  His run up to the layup is the slowest I've ever seen him move on a basketball court.

Dudes probably hungover. 

Nick Young being in the 3 pt contest over Beal or Porter is embarrassing 

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

The skills challenge is lame but the exposure would have been good for Wall if he'd won it.

Meh, hes already won a dunk contest.

Oh BTW is it just me or are there an absurd amount of commercials