Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins start 4-0?

Mad Mike

The poll for which game you want to win the most got me thinking about the possibilities for a fast start this season. I invite you now to join me for a tour of the twisted mind that is Mad Mike and explore the possibility that we may jump out to a 4-0 start. :D

It all starts Sept. 4th against the Jets. We need to start this season off right and crush them. We have the tools to be a very good team. We have been getting better at playing more disciplined football. And we look like we are begining to gell. Now we need the confidence to know that if we do the little things right we can win and win big.

While a loss to the Jets in week one wouldn't end our season, I think it could slow our progress. It might mean the difference between a 10-6 or 11-5 season, and an 8-8 one. On the other hand, I could see a big win Sept. 4th setting the stage for a 3-0 or dare I say it, 4-0 start.

The Falcons without Vick are still good but vulnerable (2-0 is very possible) . The Giants are going to be tough but they are beatable if we bring our A game (we would have to be very good, but 3-0 is well within our reach). The Pats may be the biggest challenge because they are very good and match up well with us. But if we can establish a good running game and play smart, we can beat them too. The key is for the team to believe in themselves, and that starts with a win September 4th.

Hell, the Eagles have been eating our lunch the past few years, but if we go into the game with the confidence of a 4-0 team and take it to them, we could win that one as well.

While a 4-0 start may incredibly difficult, and 5-0 may seem like a fantasy, my point is that each one of those games is winnable IF we play smart football with the confidence that a big win to start the season can bring. I have enormous faith that this will be a great team. The question is, will it be sooner or later?

:cheers:

Totally agree, I can definately see us starting out 3-0..just skeptic about being 4-0. Of course, im afraid to say the Skins will definately win against the Falcons and Jets because we've only seen the Skins in preseason form...so I think I'll wait until after the Jets game to make a bold prediciton of mine.

assuming Chase and Dalton are able to come in and use the 10 days to get ready to play in the opener, the Skins really don't have too many glaring weaknesses for the first time in quite a few seasons.

true, players at TE, S and DT are still in the 'prove me' stage as far as I am concerned but the team can compete with the starting players it has.

last year the Skins went into the opener with an offensive line, wide receiver corps and starting qb that did not have solid NFL skills.

you can add in the same questions at TE, S and P as well.

The fact the team has competitive talent across the board means no games are unwinnable.

The Redskins won't win all 16 but there are no certain losses either.

Certainly the 2001 and 2002 squads did not present the same opportunities.

Ramsey for Matthews. Coles for Green. Thomas for Stai. Fiore for Loverne. Morton for Lockett. Hall for Conway/Tuthill/Cortez.

These are all upgrades and necessary ones.

what the team needs to exceed expectations is for players at DT, S and P to show themselves to be merely solid, ie up to the challenge of playing regularly in the NFL. They don't have to be exceptional.

Neither does Ramsey. In most cases playing within himself and avoiding the big negative plays will be enough to get games into the fourth quarter with a chance to win.

I doubt we will start 4-0. Last week, we beat a team starting a rookie QB for the first time. We got a few breaks because of penalties that kept our drives going. We played well, but far from perfect. They are still coming together and I don't see that process being completed in the first month of the season.

That being said, we could drop one or two early. I'm optimistic, but the team still has work to do.

Actually, the Eagles ate the Redskins lunch only last year. They split in at least the 5 previous seasons.

No game is a gimme, obviously. But, as Bulldog said, the Redskins now are competitive across the board, talent-wise. The first games may prove differently, but they don't enter any game with huge weaknesses just begging to be exploited. The downfall could be inexperience or typical stupid Redskin football.

Originally posted by SkinsLegacy44

I think 3-1 is a possible scenario going into the iggles game. 2-2 wouldn't be a that bad either.

2-2 is more realistic. I think there are going to be some mistakes at the very beginning that are going to have to be ironed out. Other than that, I still think we come away from the season with a 9-7 record. That says a lot about our team.

I couldn't disagree with your post more Mike. With such a young offense, and a d-line with this much turnover, we don't "need" to win many of the first four games to make the playoffs.

We have enough talent for a deep playoff run. But we have a lot of inexperience. We can drop the first three and still be in excellent shape. We could lose the first three and keep on losing too, but our schedule is front loaded, even with the recent departures of vick and pennington.

This team might need some time to start hitting on all cylinders, and if they drop a few, I think bringing out the doomsday predictions will be premature.

-DB

I hate saying it, but the injuries to Pennington and Vick, may be just the break (pardon the pun) we need. It's going to give us 2 weeks without superstar QB's to worry about. We still have to worry with the Curtis Martin, but if we can handle him, and still put some pressure on Vinnie, things could jel out and give the 'Skins more of a time to come together as a team, especially our lines.

Originally posted by DrunkenBoxer

I couldn't disagree with your post more Mike. With such a young offense, and a d-line with this much turnover, we don't "need" to win many of the first four games to make the playoffs.

We have enough talent for a deep playoff run. But we have a lot of inexperience. We can drop the first three and still be in excellent shape. We could lose the first three and keep on losing too, but our schedule is front loaded, even with the recent departures of vick and pennington.

This team might need some time to start hitting on all cylinders, and if they drop a few, I think bringing out the doomsday predictions will be premature.

-DB

1) I never said that loosing the first game means we miss the playoffs. What I said was that winning could help us to a fast start.

2) In no way did I make any "doomsday" predictions. What I said was "I have enormous faith that this will be a great team. The question is, will it be sooner or later?" Surely you can see the difference. :doh:

I think we have a great chance of starting 4-0.... what terrifies me is the pressure of a night game opening the NFL season against the Jets, with whom all this animosity is building. We usually suck on night games..I am thinking mostly of Monday Night Football, it has always been a curse... where the Eagles for instance do extremely well , for a while they were like 6-0 MNF and we were completely the opposite...(forgive me if I am off a game or two...) But if everything all comes together...I should correct that and say WHEN it all comes together...what a ride it will be!!! I hope I see LaVar ripping around the field like a tornado creating havok!!!

I think everything will be based on that first game against the Jets. Like someone posted in another Thread, loosing to the Jets will be detrimental to the team. The Skins with all the off the field drama and x-jet players can not afford to lose this game at home (1st game of season). The idea of loosing to a team that's midocere with a 40 year old QB may distroy the morale that's soo vital to the rest of the season. We not only should beat them but we should come out with intensity and distroy them so they can STF up once and for all.

They have a chance for a 4-0 start for sure.

Jets - Missing starting QB and roster was depleted in the offseason.

Falcons - Missing their franchise QB.

Giants - Hog Fest day. The Skins have never lost on Hog Fest day.

Patriots - A bad special teams play cost the Skins the preseason game. Payback time.

There is no reason that we cannot go 4-0 in Sept.

My concern is that the team will now consider the Falcons and Jets as "gimme" games, and not play with the full inTENsity that's needed.

Winning the first game of the season is always a plus, but not necessarily a barometer. We won the first game last year. But we lost the first game (in a rather deflating manner) in 1999.

Archived