Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Now the real test begins...

Bacon

Losing to an overrated, unproven team is bad, yes, but, as it so often goes in life, it's all about how the team reacts to it. The Skins have always been a streaky team, living and dying by momentum rather than talent, but maybe we can turn that around this year. I have my doubts.

Speaking for myself, after witnessing that trainwreck, I have absolutely no desire to watch another Redskins game, or see burgundy and gold paired together in any context. I'm not sure I've ever been so tired and dejected after watching this team lose, except perhaps in the 2007 playoffs when I knew Gibbs was good as gone. All this four hour waste of time did was affirm my worst fears about this team, proving them to be the same characterless, ball-free team they always were, lacking the talent or wherewithal to seal a done deal. McNabb is fine, and it's clear that an element of this team has improved. However, the Redskins franchise will always find another element to screw up in order to compensate JUST enough to lose at the very last second, forcing the fans through a pointless 2nd half of hell in the process. In today's case, it was a full extra quarter.

However, the team doesn't have to buy into my negativity, nor should they (hell, I'll be back to this madhouse/abusive relationship in a matter of days). The Jets got a win stolen from under their noses last week, and this week they stepped right up to a hot Patriots team and smacked them in the mouth. I suspect the Colts will do the same against the Giants tonight. Next week, we go on the road to face a Rams team that has had TWO games within reach and blew them both. This is not going to be an easy game and, if I know my Redskins (and I do; I've been observing them for about 15 years now), they will play down to their flailing opponent, just like they played over their heads today. Expect another game decided by a field goal or less.

But I digress. We tend to spiral, and I'm on a collective Skins mutiny watch until we show we can be professionals in spite of adversity. In some seasons, like 2006, it was entirely unclear that we ever gave a damn. In 2008, we stopped giving a damn after the Steelers manhandled us, forcing us to -- gasp -- 6-3. Will 2010 end even earlier? If Shanahan is indeed the missing piece, we should keep up the level of play we showed in the first half and only get more confident. A lot of my trepidations about this team center on their reaction to their own on-field unravelings, and today, they managed to destroy a sweater large enough that Andy Reid could fit into.

I'm just amazed as to why the Redskins have such a hard time putting teams away. It doesn't matter who's coaching or what players we have, when the time comes where we can put the other team away we screw it up and let them back in the game. It's like the Skins are afraid to blow a team out. We've been ****ing about that for years.

Hopefully our players won't be like our sky is falling fans and bounce back after this loss. Tough loss but no one gave us a chance and says we can't possibly win before the game...then we prove we're a good team and end up losing and our coach and team gets bashed like we're supposed to go 16-0 :-/

Dear lord, you folks have us all about done for the season. It's week two for cryin out loud, with a new coaching staff, and system on both sides of the ball. We nearly beat a team that put it to one of the top teams in the league last week.

This is almost as funny as the "we're still OK for the playoffs" thread.

Archived