Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Airplane Noise in Brambleton, VA

Maximus71

Hello All

For those that live in Ashburn and Brambleton, WTF is up with the jumbo jets flying directly over Brabmleton? We are planning to build a home and its off of Belmont Ridge Road, I have been on the site of the property a few times and did not notice any airplane noise or at least nothing too loud, those times were around 5 P.M. and morning/early afternoon. Tonight we went back to see the land again and there must have been 15 huge planes taking off literaly above our house within 15 minutes, something the builder did not mention to us at all :mad: We still have not ratified our contract yet so we can walk.

What has been your experience living there? is 6 P.M. the rush hour for flights? We love the land and the floor plan and I am really concerned at this time about the noise level. I have searched many websites and all I see is complaints but I dont think this problem is going to go away anytime soon!

You live right next to Dulles Airport what do you expect? I have lived in Ashburn for 16 years and dont even notice it anymore

I agree with your point but it sounds like the community is just a few feet away from the runway. The smaller planes are not bad at all but the freaking huge 4 engine planes are just sick. Its cool to see a few but 15 of them in 15 minutes was really a headache. If its something that happens around 6 P.M. for 30 minutes or so I can deal with it, I guess I have to call the airport to get more information.

Most of that has to do with the fact Dulles has a run way not too far from most of the houses in Brambleton. I've gotten to the point where I just am oblivious to it as it happens frequently throughout the day

I just saw the airscene website, its pretty cool as it tracks flights and shows if they go above your home etc... It seems like the busiest time is 6 pm for 35 minutes or so and they are mainly international flights.

I assume they are giving good deals on houses out there, or is the builder trying to play it off like its no big deal and charging market price?

They are a unique builder, Miller and Smith, the house is about 4400 sqt, the lot is about 10,900.00 they are offering a starting price of $549,000 and with our current upgrades we are at 610k with 12k back for closing. Honestly I think what I am getting market price, he has given 15 worth of free options and added another 7200.00 (the 610 is the final price)

The "big birds" heading to Europe depart between 6 and 7pm. They typically take off heading north and so will pass over that area.

I would expect that to be an almost nightly show but not notice much other times of the day because other planes are smaller, quieter and higher.

Count yourself lucky... I remember when the concord was still flying in and out of dulles.... first time I felt it, I thought it was an earthquake...

We just moved this year from ashburn to leesburg, and I notice it is ALOT quieter now, as I we are not in the direct flight paths anymore... We still get a few here and there, but nothing compared to when we lived in ashburn

My in-laws just built a place in Brambleton, right near the Town Center. I was there yesterday. The jets fly over like nobody's business. My 17-month old was loving life. My father in law, not so much. They got a great deal on a beautiful home but bought kind of quickly. I'm not sure they would have bought the place had they known how bad the airplane noise really is. I think they are right near the International runway as it always seems to be Lufthansa, Virgin, BA, etc taking off there.

At least the Concord doesnt fly in and out of Dulles anymore....you thought the jets now are loud....that concord used to shake the bowl america chantilly building BIG TIME! lol EDIT: Pez and I were thinking the same thing now I see lol

I live along the south/southeast approach to Reagan now, but hardly ever notice the planes anymore

My in-laws just built a place in Brambleton, right near the Town Center. I was there yesterday. The jets fly over like nobody's business. My 17-month old was loving life. My father in law, not so much. They got a great deal on a beautiful home but bought kind of quickly. I'm not sure they would have bought the place had they known how bad the airplane noise really is. I think they are right near the International runway as it always seems to be Lufthansa, Virgin, BA, etc taking off there.

That is very close to where we are building, after looking at maps and figuring out where the runways are, Brambleton town center falls on the same line as runway 20-12 which is the international runway... Those are some big planes and I have to tell you we are now not so sure about the property :mad:. If its only for 20 minutes or so a day I can deal with it, if its a daily thing forget it. Do you remember if it shook the house at all? How bad was the sound inside?

Has to do with the prevailing winds too, the day you visited they may have been using different runways due to the wind direction.

That is true, which direction does the wind mainly blow during the winter? I thought its north east and if that is the case its directly in to the runway that is facing Brambleton, per someone I spoke with in Dulles Airport all planes fly in to the wind which means right over Brambleton. This blows chunks because I ablsoutly love the property.

It's just going to get worse over time, as Dulles grows.

Basic principle: Don't buy in a city if you don't want to hear street noise. Don't buy near train tracks if you don't want to hear trains. Don't buy near a marina if you don't want to hear boat engines. Don't buy near an airport if you don't want to hear airplanes. And so forth.

That is very close to where we are building, after looking at maps and figuring out where the runways are, Brambleton town center falls on the same line as runway 20-12 which is the international runway... Those are some big planes and I have to tell you we are now not so sure about the property :mad:. If its only for 20 minutes or so a day I can deal with it, if its a daily thing forget it. Do you remember if it shook the house at all? How bad was the sound inside?

If its a daily thing, I guarantee you will get used to it. Trust me, I've lived next to Dulles my entire life.

It's just going to get worse over time, as Dulles grows.

Basic principle: Don't buy in a city if you don't want to hear street noise. Don't buy near train tracks if you don't want to hear trains. Don't buy near a marina if you don't want to hear boat engines. Don't buy near an airport if you don't want to hear airplanes. And so forth.

I guess I am left moving to Kansas :pfft: I can deal with the airplanes but them taking off on the roof of my house is another thing :silly:

Count yourself lucky... I remember when the concord was still flying in and out of dulles.... first time I felt it, I thought it was an earthquake...

We just moved this year from ashburn to leesburg, and I notice it is ALOT quieter now, as I we are not in the direct flight paths anymore... We still get a few here and there, but nothing compared to when we lived in ashburn

Need to update your profile, home slice!! :D

Archived