Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(August, 2010 - Re: McNabb) Hey, Mike, how about a two-quarterback scheme?

Oldfan

So...yes I'm bored today as well. My thouhgts are that Red Zone scoring is more dependant on the steddy flow of the offense with a drive culminatiung in a TD. Not so much changing schemes or personnel once the Zone is reached but by treating it like it is just a natural end to the drive with all cylinders firing smoothly. Just watch the Colts. I feel the key to scoring in the Red Zone depends on a non-interrupted flow of the playcalling. NO PENALTIES!!!
Doe it not make sense to you that the QB's accuracy, rather than his arm strength, would be a bigger factor in the compressed area of the Red Zone?
Oldfan, you gotta have tough skin to voice an opinion HERE!!
The only posters who get under my skin are those who point out logical flaws in my arguments. I'm not in much danger in this forum.:D

This quote must be from the last scene in Billy Madison.

"Thank you oldfan at no point in your rambling did you say anything that made any sense. We are all dumber for having listened to you"

I paraphrased........

Thanks for the entertainment and good points about McNabb's strengths.

Once again, just because Shanahan has McNabb doesn't mean he is going to scheme like Andy Reid.
What would you do with a QB whose strength is the deep ball and whose weakness is the short game? What are Shanahan's options?

Greg Blache's great love, the passive, "bend but don't break" defensive strategy, is ineffective against most teams, but it was exactly the right strategy when playing against a Donovan McNabb led attack -- give him the short stuff, prevent big play touchdowns, and bet that his team will have to settle for three when he can't put up seven in the Red Zone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiYHAoLZTbI&feature=related

Think again. This is from last year in Philly, where Donovan led the Eagles to victory, against the defense that you say is the right strategy. LOL

... AND A player who gets paid millions to catch passes not being able to fully concentrate on a ball for a touchdown clearly coming to him because it's moving in "wobbly" way.

It's his job for **** sake. It's not like McNabb threw him a 105MPH breaking ball.

A pro receiver should be able to concentrate and catch a wobbly pass. A pro QB should be able to throw a spiral which is easier to catch.

What would you do with a QB whose strength is the deep ball and whose weakness is the short game? What are Shanahan's options?

Oldfan, as much as I hated the Eagles, they perfected the screen pass. You can go back and watch how they did it.

They killed teams with the screen pass. Short game? I have no idea what you are talking about.

Well, one Shanahan is going to run the ball more. Two, we are going to use TEs in the intermediate zones far more than at any time in the past. We could also see Cooley split out wide as a WR who could then be a bigger target for McNabb.

I don't doubt we will throw the ball when we do throw it downfield more than in the recent past. But that observation has to be balanced against the failure to mount ANY kind of downfield game here the past 3-4 years :)

But the Redskins are NOT going to look like the Eagles.

Just like the Mike Shanahan John Elway did not look like the Dan Reeves' John Elway.

oldfan is a funny name. he must really be old. no one in their right mind would think you could just pull a starting, proven winner, multiple pro-bowl quarterback and replace him with rex grossman. i get it's preseason and people are bored so hell, why not make some stupid thread about pulling donovan before the season even starts! technically, you're logic is sound. but realistically, your logic doesn't exist.

Think again. This is from last year in Philly, where Donovan led the Eagles to victory, against the defense that you say is the right strategy. LOL
In 2008, the less-talented Skins best the Eagles twice. In 2009, Greg Blache was finally persuaded to get more aggressive. After the loss to Detroit, he "threw himself under the bus" and changed his style.

Oldfan, as much as I hated the Eagles, they perfected the screen pass. You can go back and watch how they did it.with the screen pass. Short game? I have no idea what you are talking about.
I'm not sure what point you're making. Are you saying that since Donovan throws the screen pass well, that his short game is plenty good enough for the Red Zone? Screen passes are rarely called in the Red Zone.

I'm not sure what point you're making. Are you saying that since Donovan throws the screen pass well, that his short game is plenty good enough for the Red Zone? Screen passes are rarely called in the Red Zone.

you said that donovan doesn't have a short passing game, which is complete BS. I proved that he does. Redzone is something entirely different. Thats about playcalling, setting defenses up, which Philly never did.

But the Redskins are NOT going to look like the Eagles.
I think we will try to become a big play offense like the Eagles because that's Donovan's strength.

Working from memory, I think Mike threw the ball 63% of the time in 2008 with Cutler. He doen't try to pound out ball control with that ZBS. The advantage of the ZBS is in its tendency to pop long plays now and then. It's not a short-yardage red zone, ball control scheme.

I seem to remember a 3rd and goal screen pass to Thomas Tapeh. Still want to emulate Andy Reid's attack?

Archived