Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(August, 2010 - Re: McNabb) Hey, Mike, how about a two-quarterback scheme?

Oldfan

What do you mean? Are you saying that you don't think Mike will adapt to Donovan's game and build a big play offense?

What kind of offense do you think he ran in Denver when he had Elway and Cutler? Do you think he was playing a conventional WCO ball control offense? Could you describe his philosophy when he had strong-armed QBs to work with?

Kyle wants the ball thrown downfield. And we have seen this already in the preseason. The WCO is not a big play offense. Its more ball control. But with Shanahan, the ball travels downfield for the big play.

I my humble opinion, I think the 2 QB system is a bad idea. Period.
Does the "period" mean you don't have a reason you can share?
And, on a side note, I am not too impressed with Beck. I don't think he has a strong arm like Bartel.
The Red Zone requires accuracy, not a strong arm.

Grossman, Beck...both look like they have better short games than McNabb.

John Beck.. I'm not impressed with your resume. You're a little baby in this league and you're already known as a journy-man. But hey, you do well in the 4th QTR in garbage games so I think you deserve a shot to throw some intense pick six's!

Rex Grossman.. We all know Sleepy Davis saved you from a 99 the other way, but from what I've seen from your TV time, you're a stud. And when your brain can't handle the idea that you don't have an 80+ yard field to unleash your demon all over, you will most likely rely on your awesome QB instincts and throw mercilessly through the field goal post in an attempt to gain some "chicks dig the long ball" mentality for some late night action. So have at it and humiliate yourself, Donovan McNabb, Mike Shanahan, Oldfan, and well that's it.

And this is why we stay in the stands on game day. Kids, don't do drugs, please.

Kyle wants the ball thrown downfield. And we have seen this already in the preseason. The WCO is not a big play offense. Its more ball control. But with Shanahan, the ball travels downfield for the big play.
Absolutely. When you trade for D. McNabb to run it, you are planning a big play offense.

In Game 2 McNabb threw a perfect strike to Davis for what should have been an easy TD and he dropped it
Fred Davis should have caught that pass, but Donovan threw a hard wobbler that requires more concentration.

I think on the same possession, Donovan missed on a short slant at the goal line by five feet. It was lucky that he did. The DB had jumped the route and would have intercepted if the pass had been thrown accurately. Donovan's pass was thrown well behind the DB.

the Redskins went with 2 quarterbacks more than once as I remember when Gibbs was the Head Coach.

if it comes down to keeping a fringe NFL player at QB or keeping a guy you think has a realistic chance to develop into a starter on the OL, DL or secondary do you really want Mike to keep that third qb?

Right now, this is not really an issue for the Redskins.

John Beck has been here such a short time he doesn't know much of the offense.

Richard Bartel to me simply isn't an NFL quarterback.

If McNabb and Grossman BOTH go out and the Redskins need a #3 quarterback to start the team MIGHT very well be better off looking at an out of work veteran like Jeff Garcia.

Andy passed the ball too much. Never had an answer for the Redzone because teams knew the pass was coming.

OC must defenses off balance. Spread defenses out and run it. Its all about setting a defense up.

Shanahan's 2008 Denver team passed the ball 63% of the time with Cutler at QB. Reid's percentage was 60 - 63% with Donovan.

Fred Davis should have caught that pass, but Donovan threw a hard wobbler that requires more concentration.

I think on the same possession, Donovan missed on a short slant at the goal line by five feet. It was lucky that he did. The DB had jumped the route and would have intercepted if the pass had been thrown accurately. Donovan's pass was thrown well behind the DB.

yes, it was a wobbler. Davis simply dropped the ball.

Shanahan's 2008 Denver team passed the ball 63% of the time with Cutler at QB. Reid's percentage was 60 - 63% with Donovan.

Shanahan had no running game. RB's were dropping like flies because of injury. The Broncos were #2 in total offense with no running game.

Kyle had no running game last year, but the Texans were 4th in the league. Now, what do you think could happen with a running game? Defenses will have a tough assignment.

If you break it down by quarter, you'll find that Reid passed more early, then ran the ball with the lead. At least that's what he tried to do.

I remember against Dallas a few years ago the whole game he ran the ball 9 times. ANd they were blown out.

I think you'd also have to think of how bad things could get if the iffy strategy doesn't work. You'd have Mcnabb losing respect because he'd be seen as the guy who can't get it done in the redzone. You'd have the coach being questioned by fans, the media, and the players. Mcnabb isn't the kind of qb that wants to be pulled out of the game.
As I indicated in the OP, I'm not concerned with Donovan's psychological well-being. I have less concern for the opinions of the fans and media.

If the scheme change works, it's a brilliant innovation. If it doesn't, the attempt would be ridiculed. Who cares?

If you break it down by quarter, you'll find that Reid passed more early, then ran the ball with the lead. At least that's what he tried to do.
Every coach in the NFL does that, so the percentages for Reid don't mislead in comparison to other coaches.

You obviously don't know the definition of "psychobabble." I'm busy right now or I'd Goggle it for you.

You seem very busy thinking up bull****.

But when you're not busy, maybe you can define psychobabble or babble or blah-blah or anything that can closely relate your idea of uselessness of taking out a starting QB who is the leader of a team, and replace him with a proven loser which might fully blow everyone's confidence and motivation AND A player who gets paid millions to catch passes not being able to fully concentrate on a ball for a touchdown clearly coming to him because it's moving in "wobbly" way.

It's his job for **** sake. It's not like McNabb threw him a 105MPH breaking ball.

I remember against Dallas a few years ago the whole game he ran the ball 9 times. ANd they were blown out.

yeah, because Reid is looking for the big play, every play. That worked against him.

Once again, just because Shanahan has McNabb doesn't mean he is going to scheme like Andy Reid.

In Denver, Elway's vertical passing offense from the Reeves days was NOT what Shanahan won with ultimately.

John Elway threw the ball far LESS in 1997 and 1998. The accent was on the OL and Terrell Davis running the football.

And by that time Shannon Sharpe was the primary receiving target at TE.

Another change.

Archived