Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jets QB Pennington:Out 12 weeks........

TC4

The article also said that sources within the Jets said there is the chance Pennington is out for the year. This is a pretty bad injury. Herm Edwards did say this wouldn't effect Pennington's career. He can make a complete recovery.

I am sure he will make a full recovery but this is going to take a lot longer than anyone thought. This could be a six to eight month recovery time. I can't see him playing this year.

If he has to stay out the year, he should do it. There is no reason for him to come in for five or six games if it will be a risk at all.

jbooma,

The turf at Giants stadium had nothing to do with any of the injuries that occurred last night. Actually, if the artificial turf had still been in, Pennington would have been in a lot worse shape if that is possible.

Bollinger sprained his knee because a Giants player got pushed into the side of his knee by a Jets OLinemen. Pennington's wrist was just bent very awkwardly and used to soften his fall. The turf had nothing to do with it. Both teams love it.

If he's out 10-12 weeks, and the Jets are 4-6 or 5-7 or something, I could see them keeping him out for the rest of the year to ensure that he's fine for next year.

This is a major injury for them, one that greatly affects their season, almost as much as Vinny's achilles injury in 1999.

Originally posted by TC4

Well over at GangGreen, there is still some denial about how long he will be out:

http://forums.theganggreen.com/index.php?showtopic=8608

And while you are at it, have a look at who they are thinking about for backups:

http://forums.theganggreen.com/index.php?showtopic=8612

Both of these threads were started by someone named hikeman30

Thanks for the heads up. Here's a gut buster from the first thread...

Maybe hes not really hurt and were sandbaggin the Redskins.

Of course, I prefer to face Vinny than Chad, but I thought he had a pretty good attitude and spirit about him, plus he seems to say the right things, not unlike Ramsey, so I predict that this will enhance his rehabilitation and give him a chance to come back well. What's better is that he's not really going to be challenged or outshone by anyone for the QB job like say Warner may have been by Bulger.

This may be career threatening.

Hikeman30 at gangreen wrote...

(hikeman30 @ Aug 24 2003, 03:02 PM)

This 12 weeks out is just BS, trust me guys. It is a nonthrowing hand, and they set it last night. I have seen people come back in 3 weeks from these types of injuries. I am tellnig you it is in the Jets best interest to extend the time other teams think he is out. I see Vinny T getting us to 4-2 and Chad stepping in and getting us o the bowl. I refuse to believe that a nonthrowing injury is gonna keep CP out, it is all BS. I wrote a scathing letter to the Times rippnig them for thinking it would be the whole season....jackoff's. I am so pissed I could beat up a pats fan.

MizzouJet replies...

"You gotta be kidding...

By the ESPN report, Pennington had SEVEN pins placed in his wrist to achieve fixation.

Now, I've been involved in over 1000 wrist operations (as an anesthesiologist, not an orthopedist), but in over 12 years of doing anesthesia and observing fixation of "broken wrists", I've NEVER seen anyone require SEVEN pins to achieve fixation.

If this is true, he probably tore every ligament in his wrist along with breaking various bones...

I count him as lost for the season...and if he comes back for the final 6 games, that will be a miracle.

Knowing Penny though, I wouldn't count him out.

But SEVEN PINS? WOW... "

To be fair, the guy who blamed Fassel was pretty much ridiculed by everyone else. The denial regarding the severity of Pennington's injury however does not suprise me. There are some people over there who have lost all touch with reality. :doh:

Agreed Mike. They seem to have shut out the guy who blamed Fassel. But, man, they are totally ignoring the severity of the injury. One guy started by saying a foot doctor friend of his said 1 to 3 weeks. Then, he said he had a buddy in the PR department who said 6 weeks. Then when the team announced 12 weeks he said that's bunk and it'll be more like seven. Right, like he'd know and the team is doing this for deceptive reasons. Sheesh. If he comes back early that's great, but the expectation is at least 12 weeks and I'd be surprised if he plays at all this year.

They are an interesting bunch over there.

The really tough call is if they even keep him on the active roster come cut time.

Keeping a player on the roster who may not play a down all season, at the expense of another player they may want to keep, just sucks. Basically, they are going to have to carry 4 QBs, with Pennington on the Inactive list each week.

What a waste. It would almost be better if his season was definitely over. Then the team and its fans could just move on w/o him. Now, his status will just linger in the air. If the team starts going into a funk, he may try to rush back, which would be a very bad idea. It's likely he'll be rusty when he comes back, at the very least.

This is typical of New York fans. They could care less if the potentional of his arm falling off exists, as long as he can throw the ball. I don't know why there so dissapointed anyway, the Jets weren't going to do anything this year. All this means is that they will move up on the draft board for 2004, and possibly they can draft a kid to replace Coles. Maybe with a couple of free agent signings, they can get back to the wild card for 2004-05 season.

Archived