Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Broncos cut LB Akin Ayodele

Chachie

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/news/story?id=5493181

The Denver Broncos released Akin Ayodele on Tuesday, surprising the linebacker who had started each of the team's preseason games.

"They released me this morning. The coaches couldn't really give me an explanation," Ayodele told FOX31 in Denver. "To tell you the truth I was really caught off guard. They said I did everything right, but that they just wanted to go a different route."

Ayodele, who signed with Denver after spending the past two seasons with the Miami Dolphins, made eight tackles in the Broncos' two preseason games this season, including six against the Lions on Saturday.

"That is the last thing I would expect because I started the last two preseason games. This is the first time this has happened to me like this, but I have to stay encouraged the same way I have encouraged other guys over the years," Ayodele told FOX31.

Ayodele said the Broncos told him they released him this early so he had a chance to sign with another team.

Ayodele is one of three starting linebackers in the NFL who has played in every game since 2002. He played for Miami (2008-2009), Dallas (2006-07) and Jacksonville (2002-05) after being drafted by the Jaguars out of Purdue.

Last year, Ayodele started 15 games for the Dolphins and tallied 70 tackles...

(see link)

maybe took a look at him in place of andre carters olb spot.

I didn't want to say that myself but I guess it's obvious why I posted the news item. ;)

Obligatory "vet min plus incentives." :silly:

However, I feel I should post my usual thoughts on this subject... No more ex-Cowboys ever. Ever!

There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't sign this dude. We need LB's, regardless if he starts or not for us. The guy is a contributor, and a veteran. No reason why he wouldn't be an upgrade over Carter on the outside. Then you can set up packages with Carter where he is rushing the passer.

There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't sign this dude. We need LB's, regardless if he starts or not for us. The guy is a contributor, and a veteran. No reason why he wouldn't be an upgrade over Carter on the outside. Then you can set up packages with Carter where he is rushing the passer.

Have you actually looked at his stats? He hasn't had a sack since 2006. It looks like he's been playing one of the ILB roles in the 3-4, a position we don't really have a need at, particularly since we already released Chris Draft.

No, I don't see a fit with us.

Akin is purely just a guy. Dolphins fans I've come in contact with thought he was terrible. I didn't see him play in Miami, but it's not a stretch. Watching pretty much all of the games he played in Dallas, he was one of the more invisible ILBs you could ever have on a team. He made maybe a handful of impact plays in 2 years. You could argue that he was solid, but unspectacular except the Cowboys expected him to lead the team in tackles.

Archived