Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SBNDC: Redskins Made For HBO's 'Hard Knocks'

themurf

haynesworth082410.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

With the Washington Redskins preparing to take on the New York Jets this Friday night, I couldn’t help but wish that these two franchises could magically change places.

I know what you’re thinking – the Jets came within one win of the Super Bowl a year ago while the Redskins went just 4-12. Of course I’d want to see the teams flip flop.

But that’s not what I meant. You see, the Jets are the featured team on "Hard Knocks," HBO’s popular reality sports documentary series. For those not familiar, the show gives fans an inside peek at the life of a football franchise, whether it's through the eyes of an undrafted rookie free agent hoping to earn a roster spot or a sage veteran trying to extend his career one more year.

I admit that the Jets were an easy choice for HBO. They’ve got more intriguing storylines than anything you’ve ever seen on "Entourage." Just to name a few:

* They’ve got Rex Ryan, a second-year head coach full of piss and vinegar who happens to be the son of Buddy Ryan – the architect of the 46 defense. His colorful language alone was the talk of the first episode.

* They’ve got franchise quarterback Mark Sanchez, hoping to avoid a sophomore slump after a solid rookie season.

* They’ve got Darelle Revis, who, for my money, is the best cornerback in football (although he’s nowhere to be found at the moment thanks to his displeasure with his contract situation).

* They’ve got LaDainian Tomlinson, one of the best running backs of all time, who was cast aside by San Diego and is motivated to show the world that he can still be productive.

* They’ve got Antonio Cromartie, who provided one of the most enjoyable TV moments in recent memory when he failed to name all seven of the children he’s fathered in last week’s episode.

* They’ve got Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes, two productive receivers who have been known to find controversy off the field.

* They’ve got Bart Scott, the loudmouth linebacker who never met a microphone he didn’t like.

* Hell, they’ve even got a rookie fullback named Jon Conner, who his teammates have naturally nicknamed "The Terminator," turning heads every time he has a chance to hit somebody.

Seriously, the Jets were a no brainer for "Hard Knocks." I fully admit it.

It’s too bad though. If ever there was a year for the Redskins to be featured on the Emmy-award winning program, it’s this one.

Now, before you get your hopes up, I’ve asked folks inside the building at Redskins Park what it would take for the franchise to agree to be a part of the show, and universally, I’ve been told it won’t happen. Maybe that changes one day down the road, but for now, we’re left to ponder what would have been.

Think about it. The series begins by showing just how dire last season was with a series of quick shots illustrating the Redskins’ on-the-field self destruction (or, honestly, HBO could just show the "swinging gate" fake field goal attempt against the Giants to perfectly capture how inept the Jim Zorn era was). Then, they can show key players like Chris Cooley, Clinton Portis and Ladell Betts dropping like flies due to injuries and close the scene with ‘Skins fans protesting in their anti-owner apparel.

Any good storyteller knows you’ve got to tear them down before you build them back up. At that point, football fans across the land would pity us the same way we all embraced the Cincinnati Bengals on last season’s "Hard Knocks."

Click here for the full article.

I honestly rooted for the Bengals all of last season solely because of Hard Knocks. This season with the Jets are also making them out to be one of the most feared teams in the league. However, I have a hard time seeing Shanahan agreeing to do something like this in the near future.

Redskins on Hard Knocks would have been an epic colossal failure. Picture the Haynesworth situation magnified by 10. Trust me, there is nothing good that could come from this that could possibly help our team, only harm, ridicule, and possibly a lot more anger and distraction.

Good article, but I strongly disagree.

I live in house full of Jets fans, so I obviously tune-in every week-- but there is one major difference between the Skins and the Jets... They are having fun and we are not.

Our team is not worried about winning the Super Bowl... They are worried about keeping their jobs next year.

If HBO did 'Hard Knocks' on the Jets last season it would have been weak... But the foundation has been set in New York and the coaches and players are all on the same page.

PS. I'll be at the game this Friday with my Cooley jersey in FULL effect behind the Jets' bench- So you best believe I'm gonna do whatever it takes to be the star of the show next week. HAIL

Redskins on Hard Knocks would have been an epic colossal failure. Picture the Haynesworth situation magnified by 10. Trust me, there is nothing good that could come from this that could possibly help our team, only harm, ridicule, and possibly a lot more anger and distraction.

Agreed. Hard Knocks is the last thing this team needs.

Good article, but I strongly disagree.

Here's the thing - the media attention is already there. Everyone is already locked in on everything Shanahan, McNabb, Haynesworth and everyone else says. The only difference would be a peak behind the scenes at the stuff we're already hearing about.

I've got a credential and I'm around the team, but I'd definitely watch if they were on Hard Knocks to see Capers' impression of Fat Albert or Chris Cooley simply being Chris Cooley. This team is interesting because of the strong personalities - and not all of them are negative.

I mean, I find myself caring for some rookie fullback out of Kentucky because he's been given a cool nickname by his teammates and coaches. That's the good stuff that comes out of the show.

Here's the thing - the media attention is already there. Everyone is already locked in on everything Shanahan, McNabb, Haynesworth and everyone else says. The only difference would be a peak behind the scenes at the stuff we're already hearing about.

I share your feeling about all this and love the piece but I'm a lot more comfortable keeping the Redskins off HBO. It's got a bit of a "Madden-like" curse when it comes to Hard Knocks. (Not that we could be much worse.)

It seems pointless in all honesty. The team does not need more attention than it already gets. Plus these shows basically try to target a team where they can create more drama. Again, something we do not need more of.

Also if you notice, a lot of teams that claim more discipline do not want to be on the show. I could have seen Dan and Zorn agreeing to do this last year. It's basically giving more info about your team than you'd like. Only teams that love the media spotlight tend to do it. I doubt you would ever see the Colts or Patriots on there. Gibbs never would have agreed to it, and I doubt Shanahan will either.

Murf loves him some nicknames ;)

That I do. Between the "Porta-John" backfield, Chris "The Predator" Horton, John "Mellow Gold" Beck, "Tricky" Dick Bartel, "Freddie Delight" Davis and all the other cast of characters, it would have been a fun ride on HBO.

For once Murf I'm with the guys here and disagreeing with the premise, I'm also glad we're off it and don't think the positives would have outweighed the negatives.

But for the record, it WOULD have been nice to see the Caper's impression. :) Still a good read, thanks as always!!!

Let me put it this way - do I think having the Redskins on 'Hard Knocks' would benefit the franchise in any way, shape or form? Absolutely not. Do I think it would be awesome to get a behind-the-curtain peek at all of the madness? Yes sir.

I've got a credential and I'm around the team, but I'd definitely watch if they were on Hard Knocks to see Capers' impression of Fat Albert or Chris Cooley simply being Chris Cooley. This team is interesting because of the strong personalities - and not all of them are negative.

I mean, I find myself caring for some rookie fullback out of Kentucky because he's been given a cool nickname by his teammates and coaches. That's the good stuff that comes out of the show.

I hear what you are saying, and believe me I would go absolutely NUTS if the Redskins were on a show like Hard Knocks each week. I always tell my roommates how jealous of them I am.

But, we saw for the first time last week just how bad your players can look on television after Cromartie appeared to have a REALLY hard time remembering the names/ages of his 28 children.

After that segment I asked myself, "I wonder if he can remember the names/ages of all those baby mamas?"

Let me put it this way - do I think having the Redskins on 'Hard Knocks' would benefit the franchise in any way, shape or form? Absolutely not. Do I think it would be awesome to get a behind-the-curtain peek at all of the madness? Yes sir.

Couldn't agree more with that part of it. I'd be sitting on the edge of my seat every Wednesday right with you on that one. Love your work, man!!!

LDLU - that was just downright awful...I almost felt bad for him...I mean talk about a moment that you'll NEVER get back on national TV...what a deuchebag

Archived